BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e G30 - annoying low frequency noise

10-31-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
bjan_84
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

530e G30 - annoying low frequency noise

I recently bought a 2020 BMW 530e G30 sedan with just over 30 000 miles (50 000km). The car has Sportline package with standard suspension/dampers afaik. This swapped out my previous 2019 G31 520d. Main reason for swap was due to my driving pattern (mainly short distances and possibility to charge at home) as well as a more refined ride, specifically in town without engine noise.

However now i am noticing annoying low frequency noises when driving the car. This could be divided in two separate issues. I have tried three different sets of wheels which doesnt seem to affect these issues (18" Nokian R3 runflat, 17" Nokian R3 runflat and currently mounted 18" Continental Viking Contact 7 non-runflat). So I have concluded it has not to do with the wheels.

1) The less serious one. When driving in low speed ut to abt 45mph i feel there is an excess of low frequency thumping when driving over slightest roughness in the road. Would guess frequency around 50hz that create some unplesant pressure to the eardrums after a while. It is not caused by regular bumps but rather minor variances in a seemingly smooth road.

I have read a few threads with similar issues but no real conclusion. BMW dealers seem to classify this as normal. I am considering to test acoustic tires (with foam inside) which could possibly dampen this noise. Anyone with experience of this?

2) The issue I am more worried of. When driving on the highway from approx 55mph (85km/h) up to abt 80mph (130km/h) there is a low frequency noise, similar frequency as 1). The noise could be described as oscillating/circulating ang changes with speed. It is most noticeable at 65-70mph. Less than 55mph and over 80mph the noise seem to completely disappear.

As mentioned earlier the noise is not affected by changing wheels (but the noise is more noticeable with current tyres as they are very quiet), and it does not come from the engine as it stays the same when driving electric only. There are no vibrations in the car/steering wheel, just the noise. The noise is not affected by the surface either (smooth/rough asphalt). Due to the low frequency it is difficult to determine if the noise is coming from front rear or both.

My unprofessional guess is that it might be connected to wheel bearing or driveshafts. However the sound frequency does not resemble wheel bearings. Anyone with similar experience?

The car was bought from a BMW dealer with one year warranty. However I have no good experience resolving issues at my only local BMW dealer if not a really obvious issue so I am trying to collect as much info as possible before contacting them.

A side note that might be connected to this issue but I believe not. When driving over small sharp bumps i have a clunking noise on the rear side of the car. I have had this issue in the past and I am pretty sure it is an anti roll bar that needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
What is the noise? Can you upload a clip?

You aren’t talking about the “spaceship” sounding pedestrian warning, correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
bjan_84
Rep

[QUOTE=LogicalApex;30614083]What is the noise? Can you upload a clip?

You aren’t talking about the “spaceship” sounding pedestrian warning, correct?

No, not that sound. It is a very low frequency sound in the subwoofer range. Think an engine running on too low rpm (minus the vibrations).

I will try to make a recording when driving on the highway within the next few days but not sure if the sound will be picked up (not sure the microphone on my phone will pick it upp)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 05:04 AM   #4
milehti
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e xDrive, lci

Hi,

I had to sign up here as soon as i read this thread.

I have the same car, with the same kilometers/miles, the same year and the same symptoms as you described in point 2.

I have also tried different tires and rims but no effect on the sound.

My car is currently Bmw service and I perhaps know more in the evening.
My trust in local service has completely disappeared because my car was last inspected 2 weeks ago and they blamed the tires even though I already informed them that there was no problem with tires or rims.

Last time they didn't even examine the car despite the request.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 02:26 PM   #5
bjan_84
Rep

milehti Interesting. Please let me hear how it goes.

I was driving my car 2x 60 mile trips today. On the first trip the noise was less noticeable than my previous experience but on the 2nd trip it was the same as before. I feel it will be tricky to get help with this issue from my BMW dealer.

Most likely I will contact them next week, because anyway they need to fix the anti-roll bar that is making the clunky noise.

I think it is a pity for a car in this price range as the comfort is degraded to the level of a cheap car.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 06:37 PM   #6
milehti
Rep

Well.
I got the car back from the service.
They had put microphones/stethoscopes in different places of the driveline and driven the car about 40 km.
The mic installed on the transfer box made such a loud noise that it couldn't make read at all.
The judgment of the moment is that there is something wrong in side the transfer box. Now they take a similar car (show car of the shop) and compare it's sound to the stethoscope because they didn't have any comparison results from another car without extra sounds.

I newer sayd but my 530e is xDrive.
bjan_84 are your car xDrive also?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #7
bjan_84
Rep

milehti Yes mine is also Xdrive.

Seems they are on to something, would be interesting to have further updates in your case.

How high is the noise in your car? In mine not super high but clearly noticeably once you have "tuned in" to it. I am quite noise sensitive and I feel it is disturbing in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 06:19 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I am interested in the noise.

I don’t have any noises in my MY2020 530e xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 07:01 AM   #9
milehti
Rep

bjan_84 I promise I'll write here when I get more information about it.

The noise is not loud.
It's actually almoste like what you described and I think that I'am also noise sensitive with cars, but my friends and service guys heard it also even without any equipment.
So maby we are not crazy 😀

Noise started about 2000 km ago and was only heard when driving on new asphalt.
Now the noise is there no matter what is the road condition or listning music etc, and aboute 2 weeks ago the noise has also appears at low speeds during engine braking.

The noise frequency is like very low Hz bass from car subwoofers. The sound is loudest at a speed of 107 km/h with the cruise control on and driving uphill. You can hear it best when driving with electricity.

Service guys says that stethoscope readings at transferbox is loudest at engine braking no matter speed. Even louder than driving normaly or acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 05:57 AM   #10
tuzii
aussie member
Rep
Drives: G30 530D

i have this noise too, i thought I was going crazy explaining it to my mechanic and my partner.

it sort of sounds like a mosquito sometimes, but more from the door for me
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #11
bjan_84
Rep

milehti Got you, thanks for info.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 01:17 PM   #12
milehti
Rep

bjan_84 have you noticed any extra sounds when driving with the steering wheel fully turned or any kind of understeering symptons in a similar situation?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #13
milehti
Rep

Today I called the local car service where my car was checked 2 weeks ago.

I earlier mentioned they need to do some comparing on other car and now they had listened to the transfer case noise from the 330e xDrive model and the noise had been significantly quieter.

In my case, the transfer case is broken.

The problems started in 4/2023 and the car had driven 56,000 km.
First symptom was understeering and a slight ticking sound in situations where the steering wheel was fully turned when moving the car in a parking lot. (This noise was immediately cheked on the same car service and they told me nothing broken)
After this, a low-frequency sound started.
Also when petrol engine is runnin a jerking when automatic transmission shift from 1 to 2.

To day I asked the car service about the manufacturer's responsibility, and the answer was that the BMW does not participate in the repair costs in any way.
They said that if they now participate in the repair costs, then they will have to participate along with others struggling with the same defect.
My own conclusion is that the manufacturer is quite aware of this manufacturing defect and washes their hands of it completely.

When the symptoms started, the car was 2 years and 9 months old and had driven 56,000 km.

If necessary I will update here aboute the car repair and information about the fight with the manufacturer.

This case is in Finland and repair costs are estimated at 6000 - 8000 euros.

A BMW that costs 72,000 euros, lasts less than 60,000 km and i guess that's acceptable and ok for the manufacturer 🤬
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 01:52 AM   #14
bjan_84
Rep

milehti Sad to hear about the outcome. And this is nothing you could have covered by your insurance? For sure I would be interested to hear about the repair process etc.

I have not noticed the ticking sound you have mentioned when the steering wheel is fully turned. Allthough I have only owned the car for about one month now I might not have noticed yet. I have a couple of times noticed a jerkiness when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear though (like the car is throwing in the gear). But i think this has happened both in petrol and electric mode.

Maybe my car is in an earlier stage than yours. I do not drive very long distances in highway speed and have noticed it might take some time (up to 20km before the noise becomes obvious, as if the car need to get warm first).

Yesterday I spoke with the seller about the issues and today I will call the local repair shop (I bought the car from a BMW dealer 400km from where I live). I will update in this thread once my car has been inspected.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 01:38 PM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Your mention of this happening when cold bjan_84 made me think of a recent BMW TSB on a noise on the PHEVs under cold conditions. I haven’t experienced it, but maybe this is the issue?

Quote:
There is a howling or whistling noise from under the vehicle at 30 -37 mph (50 -60 km/h) when driving after
a cold start, when the outside temperature is 32° F (0° C) or lower.
The noise goes away as the vehicle/driveline reaches operating temperature.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...35179-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 05:06 AM   #16
bjan_84
Rep

LogicalApex Actually for me is the opposite. The noise seems to be more present after driving for some time. Also the noise is different, very low frequency, not whistling
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 09:36 AM   #17
milehti
Rep

Hello bjan_84

Yesterday my car transfer case was replaced.
Unfortunately, the low-frequency sound did not go away. Immediately when the speed exceeded 85 km/h the sound was still there.

The car also resonates or maybe actually vibrates a little to the rhythm of that low-frequency sound. Investigation will continue this year.
In addition, the car makes a loud creaking noise when the steering wheel is turned all the way and driving forward. Sound appears only when car is moving.
Maybe the propshaft are unbalance and the front differential are broken. Who knows...

To be continued......
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:11 PM   #18
milehti
Rep

bjan_84 Have you look at this?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ps-the-Rumble!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 09:05 AM   #19
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 530i Xdrive

Hi guys,
I own a 530i Xdrive and I am hearing this “low frequency (like 1 per second) bass or subwoofer like noise” during cruising at 120-130 km/h. It is indeed hard to describe but I think this is the same noise with mine. So I am pleased this subject is in discussion, hoping that one of us will come up with a solution.

I described this issue to my friend (BMW mechanic) and he suspected “driveshaft imbalance” problem. If this is the case, he says they re-balance the shaft as a solution. He asked me whether I also feel vibration, but I do not feel vibration, just this deep bass noise, mostly under the seat area.

Do any of you feel also vibration? I am trying to make sure if we all suffer from the same problem.

I will have my driveshaft checked, I hope it will be solved. I will share the result.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:14 AM   #20
deluxe101
Rep
Drives: 340xd

Hi Guys, same issue but with m340dx. What do you think about front diff? Maybe some micro run out of the bearing inside the differential? Tomorrow I will go to change the oil and replace the oil with non original with different viscosity.
By the way, what do you think about the BMW Japan investigation?
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1469451
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 08:07 AM   #21
deluxe101
Rep

Some small update, I did today noise and vibrio isolation of the wheel arches - no difference at all, 0 effect, just a Reduced noise from tires
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #22
deluxe101
Rep

Today oil in front differential was replaced- unfortunately no effect. I am thinking about to check the whole suspension on vibration stand. Maybe it will give some answers.
Appreciate 1