BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e G30 - annoying low frequency noise

12-18-2023, 11:34 AM   #23
deluxe101
Rep
Drives: 340xd

So Saturday afternoon 4 different g20’s and one stethoscope will meet, we will try to figure out where this noise comes from
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 11:40 AM   #24
milehti
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e xDrive, lci

My car is scheduled for a new inspection on the second of January.
They will reinstall the mics on the car chassis.
Maby the transfercase wasn't broken and the sound was carried along the shaft to the mic installed...
Now the reason of the sound is suspected to be the front differential or something that is attached to it.

I'll get back to you after second of january
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 12:43 PM   #25
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehti View Post
Maby the transfercase wasn't broken and the sound was carried along the shaft to the mic installed...
Now the reason of the sound is suspected to be the front differential or something that is attached to it.

My dealer said it possible to turn off the transfercase by computer or by removing special fuse. Due to one of my “noise-colleagues” did it already, I said no need. To a moneybox of different tries 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 03:16 PM   #26
milehti
Rep

Everything still rotates even though it has been electronically disabled so there may be a problem 🤔
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:48 AM   #27
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
Everything still rotates even though it has been electronically disabled so there may be a problem 🤔
Agree, on Friday I found a multi brand car service, who had repaired front differential on another g20, their engineer told me they will use stethoscope on the lift, if they won't find anything, the will put special microphone to the differential and they will try to find noise while driving. I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 01:57 AM   #28
deluxe101
Rep

milehti so who paid for transfer case? did you get any compensation?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 02:28 AM   #29
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 530i Xdrive

Hi everyone,
Anybody with a recording of the noise, to make sure we are all talking about the same noise. I could not make a clear recording on highway with the phone microphone.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #30
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 530i Xdrive

Hi,
The background low freq. noise in the video is close to what I hear. It is like something is rotating in an imbalanced manner at a low frequency, 1-2 beats per second. Some comments are about timing chain tensioner problems or pulleys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLGNck4f4W4
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:03 AM   #31
deluxe101
Rep

gasoline no, I have something completely different - humming noise which is equal to the noise from the broken bearing, but its not a bearing lol

starting from 30km/h, and almost the same level of noise on every speed.
absolutely nothing is hearable on the lift up, no looses, no specific vibration. You can hear the noise only when driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 03:58 AM   #32
bjan_84
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Quote:
Hello bjan_84

Yesterday my car transfer case was replaced.
Unfortunately, the low-frequency sound did not go away. Immediately when the speed exceeded 85 km/h the sound was still there.

The car also resonates or maybe actually vibrates a little to the rhythm of that low-frequency sound. Investigation will continue this year.
In addition, the car makes a loud creaking noise when the steering wheel is turned all the way and driving forward. Sound appears only when car is moving.
Maybe the propshaft are unbalance and the front differential are broken. Who knows...

To be continued......
Sorry for late response. I have been ill for two weeks. As usual my local workshop fully booked for a long time. I had an appointment last week which was cacelled so I have not had my car checked, new appointment 12th January.

Very frustrating with your issue. Since the replacement did not solve the issue, do you still have to pay for or how will the procedure be?

We have had a couple of cold weeks here in Sweden (-10 - -15C) and it seems that the colder temperature the longer time it takes for the noise to become noticeable. Also I havent had many longer trips recently. Two weeks ago I had a 70km trip and it was only by the end of the trip the noise became present.

Will report more once I've had my car checked.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 03:59 AM   #33
bjan_84
Rep

Quote:
Actually I have read this post and thought it could be a possible cause.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 04:00 AM   #34
bjan_84
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
Hi guys,
I own a 530i Xdrive and I am hearing this “low frequency (like 1 per second) bass or subwoofer like noise” during cruising at 120-130 km/h. It is indeed hard to describe but I think this is the same noise with mine. So I am pleased this subject is in discussion, hoping that one of us will come up with a solution.

I described this issue to my friend (BMW mechanic) and he suspected “driveshaft imbalance” problem. If this is the case, he says they re-balance the shaft as a solution. He asked me whether I also feel vibration, but I do not feel vibration, just this deep bass noise, mostly under the seat area.

Do any of you feel also vibration? I am trying to make sure if we all suffer from the same problem.

I will have my driveshaft checked, I hope it will be solved. I will share the result.
No noticeable vibration for me
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:13 AM   #35
milehti
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe101 View Post
milehti so who paid for transfer case? did you get any compensation?
I only paid 100€ because I bought an additional 1 year warranty from the car dealer.

The car dealer had to pay the rest and BMW did not compensate because I had bought an additional warranty.
This was new to me because I didn't know that the additional warranty removes the goodwill policy!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:15 AM   #36
milehti
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
Hi,
The background low freq. noise in the video is close to what I hear. It is like something is rotating in an imbalanced manner at a low frequency, 1-2 beats per second. Some comments are about timing chain tensioner problems or pulleys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLGNck4f4W4
I have different sound also.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 01:19 AM   #37
deluxe101
Rep

Unfortunately after installing two microphones to the differential bearings - no success. Two microphones were installed to the left and right bearing of the front diff, no specific noises except diesel engine sound. However everyone hear it while driving inside the cabin. Continue investigation.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 04:02 PM   #38
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Any of those with vibrations running Michelin pilot spots 4S tyres? Or non BMW star marked tyres?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 03:10 AM   #39
deluxe101
Rep

Happy new year guys!

I have Michelin X ice 4, non rf. Tried pirelli rf- absolutely no difference.
One guy with the same issues tried to load the wheels on the lift- absolutely nothing hearable, no noise. I am thinking of just start changing the parts from the less expensive-
Front support of the differential (it’s has a bearing inside)
Right front driveshaft
left front driveshaft
Front differential

PS there is a thought how we can find what is NOT making this nose - if we disassemble both front driveshafts we might have both front wheels spinning but without a load to the driveshaft and front diff. At least it be clear that it’s not some strange noise from engine or from the wind or form the car body. If the noise disappears after this- it’s definitely one of these parts. Just need to find a place who can do that.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 05:29 AM   #40
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:

Hi Milehti, did you find out anything?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 08:13 AM   #41
milehti
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe101 View Post
Hi Milehti, did you find out anything?
Not yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 12:16 AM   #42
Honolulu
Rep
Drives: BMW 5303

I've noticed a low frequency noise in many cars I've driven, including my 2019 530e. It has always been solved by closing the windows.

I'll speculate here that the noise can also occur in the ventilation system, which is also open to outside air, and that somehow a vortex shedding (I are engineer, is how I think) may occur in the vent system even though it's of much different and smaller dimensions than a window.

Still, one would think that if closing the windows stops the gross noise, surely the vent system would be orders of magnitude smaller. One might be wrong though, because the amplitude of harmonic oscillations can increase with very small additional input energy.

So what could this all mean when it's at home? Close your windows, close your vents, turn off the AC and listen for reduced noise. If that doesn't work, add shutting interior vents. Or maybe my theory is just crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 02:52 AM   #43
milehti
Rep

bjan_84 Anything new there?
deluxe101

It has been very cold here in Finland for the past few days.
Around -20 degrees Celsius.

Now I have noticed that the low frequency sound depends on the outside temperature.
If it's -16 degree Celsius or lower temperature outside, the sound is almost completely gone.

Yesterday it was +1 degrees outside and the sound came back.

I have also noticed that a low rumbling sound also appears if I accelerate semi hard or engine braking about 40 to 60 km/h.
Also when driving electric and more torque means more sound!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 06:20 AM   #44
deluxe101
Rep

Quote:
bjan_84 Anything new there?
deluxe101

It has been very cold here in Finland for the past few days.
Around -20 degrees Celsius.

Now I have noticed that the low frequency sound depends on the outside temperature.
If it's -16 degree Celsius or lower temperature outside, the sound is almost completely gone.

Yesterday it was +1 degrees outside and the sound came back.

I have also noticed that a low rumbling sound also appears if I accelerate semi hard or engine braking about 40 to 60 km/h.
Also when driving electric and more torque means more sound!!
Same here, it was -20 in Moscow past two week, and for the first 30-40 mins driving sound disappeared. I think it’s an oil in front diff.
By the way, this is what we need

https://youtu.be/5JeyHqOkpZY?si=0s-jLlWpka8ZAhQz
Appreciate 1