BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2017 G30 ghost Seatbelt Chime on Passenger seat issue

09-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
FadyDizzle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

2017 G30 ghost Seatbelt Chime on Passenger seat issue

Hi all,

I've had a 2017 G30 since April 2017 and randomly a few months ago, it started doing a seatbelt chime when no one was in the passenger seat. I didn't know which seatbelt was causing it at first, tried messing with my own seatbelt but after some investigating, if I put the seatbelt in the passenger seat in the buckle even with no one on the seat (and generally seat has nothing on it to make it think a passenger is there), then it stops.

When I go in for my next service in a couple months I can have them take care of it because I really don't have the time since its an easy fix for now, but anyone else experiencing this or know why this could be happening?

I've coded the car to unlock screen mirroring while in drive, but I don't think that's it because I've also re-coded it to default and saw it still kept doing the random chimes.

I saw there are coding fixes but I don't really want to do that if there's an actual faulty sensor, so any other suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
BmrDude
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Do you put your phone (e.g. a iPhone Plus or large Samsung) on the passenger seat while you drive? If so, the size and weight of that is setting off the seat belt senser. The fix is to place your phone in a vertical position so it stands on its edge in the seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
FadyDizzle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Nope, seat is completely empty. Phone is left in the charging tray whenever it's not in my pocket. It's a Galaxy Note 5, so if it was there...it's probably heavy enough to set it off lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadyDizzle View Post
Nope, seat is completely empty. Phone is left in the charging tray whenever it's not in my pocket. It's a Galaxy Note 5, so if it was there...it's probably heavy enough to set it off lol.
Take it back to the dealer. That's what the warranty is for.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
radarme
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i Atlas Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadyDizzle View Post
I had this same problem recently with my '17 530i. In my case, dealer replaced a sensor under the passenger seat that detects if someone is sitting there.... easy fix under warranty.
Appreciate 0