BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2018 530e Disable Start/Stop Engine shut off

02-12-2023, 07:46 PM   #1
ADSD530e
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

2018 530e Disable Start/Stop Engine shut off

I have a 2108 530e that the stop/start button is completely missing. I have read forums on placing the car into Sport Mode, however Automatic Stop/Start still happens! The car literally shakes when it turns off and the start is jerky. It completely sucks and is super annoying and takes the absolute joy out of a BMW. It is aggressively worse when the battery is low, but full tank of gas; trying to park or gradually stop, that the car literally JERKS with full force that is more dangerous in my opinion.

Has anyone successfully used Bimmer Code to completely get rid of this feature entirely? I do not want this engine shut off feature at all! I want to ensure it doesn't affect anything with the battery, but my understanding is this is all emissions rules and nothing more. Any successful advice would be great. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 09:30 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
It isn’t possible to turn off and it wouldn’t make sense. The 530e has some coverage that goes until 15Y/150K miles in CA. I would see if the part that has failed is covered under those rules.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:12 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSD530e View Post
I have a 2108 530e that the stop/start button is completely missing. I have read forums on placing the car into Sport Mode, however Automatic Stop/Start still happens! The car literally shakes when it turns off and the start is jerky. It completely sucks and is super annoying and takes the absolute joy out of a BMW. It is aggressively worse when the battery is low, but full tank of gas; trying to park or gradually stop, that the car literally JERKS with full force that is more dangerous in my opinion.

Has anyone successfully used Bimmer Code to completely get rid of this feature entirely? I do not want this engine shut off feature at all! I want to ensure it doesn't affect anything with the battery, but my understanding is this is all emissions rules and nothing more. Any successful advice would be great. Thank you!
By any chance do you have autohold turned on? If yes...try turning it off and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 05:22 PM   #4
ADSD530e
Rep

UPDATE: After reading a ton of message posts as well being super intimidated about using any coding programs, I purchased BIMMERCODE as well as the recommended OBDLink CX. Super easy, I was able to Code "Sport Mode Individual" all to "Comfort" Settings and code in for my 530e to always start in this mode. The auto stop start is no longer kicking in and shaky on this setting. Also, I do not have to deal with constantly changing now when getting into the car.

After a full days worth of driving my MPG went from 39.8 to 37.8, so not much loss here and well worth the cost to not be frustrated with Stop/Start. I will make some other adjustments to I can dial in the full "Sport" settings as well to make this easier to activate when I want with my personalized settings.

I programmed a few other small things like the Rolls Royce Chime and Fog Lights to remain on when Brights are active. Super cool and all worked great! I will tinker around a little more and use BIMMERCODE to get a few more unlocked settings never imagined before!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:52 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
UPDATE: After reading a ton of message posts as well being super intimidated about using any coding programs, I purchased BIMMERCODE as well as the recommended OBDLink CX. Super easy, I was able to Code "Sport Mode Individual" all to "Comfort" Settings and code in for my 530e to always start in this mode. The auto stop start is no longer kicking in and shaky on this setting. Also, I do not have to deal with constantly changing now when getting into the car.

After a full days worth of driving my MPG went from 39.8 to 37.8, so not much loss here and well worth the cost to not be frustrated with Stop/Start. I will make some other adjustments to I can dial in the full "Sport" settings as well to make this easier to activate when I want with my personalized settings.

I programmed a few other small things like the Rolls Royce Chime and Fog Lights to remain on when Brights are active. Super cool and all worked great! I will tinker around a little more and use BIMMERCODE to get a few more unlocked settings never imagined before!
If coding the car to sport mode resolved your issue then I would suggest you take a bit more of a look at what SteveinArizona suggested with regards to Auto Hold.

No matter what mode you're in it isn't possible to disable Auto Start Stop in a 530e. The car is designed with the engine as a supplementary power plant and it can be turned off whenever the car deems it appropriate to do so. Your fuel economy didn't tank in Sport mode because the car turns up brake regeneration in Sport mode and turns the engine off and uses the EV motor more often than you think.

I'd focus on figuring out the actual problem and not masking it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
bemywoman
Rep
Drives: G30

Annoying but you cannot turn off auto stop in the 530e
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
The reason the start/stop cannot be disabled is that there isn't a conventional TQ converter on these cars. They use the electric drive for all start stop situations as the EV clutch can stay engaged while at a standstill because the electric engine doesn't need to idle like an ICE. The ICE engine is then engaged once the car starts rolling and the ICE clutch engages once the speed/transmission sync up for a smooth transition. Forcing the ICE on would waste gas in situations where the EV motor is providing power and cannot be used for power generation from the idling ICE engine power. With how smart these systems are I would recommend against it, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Volasko; 03-09-2023 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
ADSD530e
Rep

Update: So, I do not know if this is just timing or if what I was experiencing was a larger issue building up or has nothing to do with the other!

2 weeks ago, I went to my garage and the EV port was blinking RED and my hard wired 220V Charger on the wall was completely off. I am in a building with a handful of chargers and mine was the only one off. I attempted to charge on 4 different ports and different locations off-site and could not get a charge with "Insufficient Grid Power Unable to Charge" errors. Searching through Bimmerpost, there have been a handful of people experience this which pointed to a failed KLE Charger. This also confirmed this caused the 220 Charger breaker to flip. Took the care to BMW and low and behold "Failed KLE Module" - $3,230.88 Quote

This is my 6th BMW over the years, first EV, and I have never had anything major like this go out in such a short amount of time or mileage. Car is 2018, 48,861 miles. Purchased CPO, Warranty Expired 10/28/2022 since based on original delivery (I bought with 33K miles). Dealership advised that this is NOT covered under California Hybrid warranty because it's not battery related. However this is the unit that converts the electricity to charge the battery. Absolutely Frustrating!

After 1.5 weeks and escalating to BMW NA, explaining my case and BMW history - I was provided Goodwill credit and they covered 50%, so I came out of pocket $1,600. I just got the car back yesterday. Maybe this had something to do with the initial "jerk" that I was experiencing or messing with sport mode - or just a sh*tty known defect with this KLE module for BMW. Will need to drive it for a few days to see if anything I was initially experiencing is eliminated. Definitely not a very settling feeling on these EV's and if more trouble awaits as I own it.

Oh, and just a little more fire to the flame, dealer said that the Engine Mounts are collapsed; $2,291.88 Quote. All of these issues before 50,000 miles?! I just never had any of these issues so early on.

I still love BMW, maybe just not this one.

Last edited by ADSD530e; 03-11-2023 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 09:50 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Update: So, I do not know if this is just timing or if what I was experiencing was a larger issue building up or has nothing to do with the other!

2 weeks ago, I went to my garage and the EV port was blinking RED and my hard wired 220V Charger on the wall was completely off. I am in a building with a handful of chargers and mine was the only one off. I attempted to charge on 4 different ports and different locations off-site and could not get a charge with "Insufficient Grid Power Unable to Charge" errors. Searching through Bimmerpost, there have been a handful of people experience this which pointed to a failed KLE Charger. This also confirmed this caused the 220 Charger breaker to flip. Took the care to BMW and low and behold "Failed KLE Module" - $3,230.88 Quote

This is my 6th BMW over the years, first EV, and I have never had anything major like this go out in such a short amount of time or mileage. Car is 2018, 48,861 miles. Purchased CPO, Warranty Expired 10/28/2022 since based on original delivery (I bought with 33K miles). Dealership advised that this is NOT covered under California Hybrid warranty because it's not battery related. However this is the unit that converts the electricity to charge the battery. Absolutely Frustrating!

After 1.5 weeks and escalating to BMW NA, explaining my case and BMW history - I was provided Goodwill credit and they covered 50%, so I came out of pocket $1,600. I just got the car back yesterday. Maybe this had something to do with the initial "jerk" that I was experiencing or messing with sport mode - or just a sh*tty known defect with this KLE module for BMW. Will need to drive it for a few days to see if anything I was initially experiencing is eliminated. Definitely not a very settling feeling on these EV's and if more trouble awaits as I own it.

Oh, and just a little more fire to the flame, dealer said that the Engine Mounts are collapsed; $2,291.88 Quote. All of these issues before 50,000 miles?! I just never had any of these issues so early on.

I still love BMW, maybe just not this one.
Your experience is what annoys me about BMW. The uncertainty of so many things. And the lack of clarity.

I reached out to BMWNA via email to see if they'll send me a list of parts covered under the CA 15Y/1150K mile warranty and the 10Y/100K mile battery warranty. It is what annoys me the most that the manual doesn't cover that extended warranty in a parts capacity, but does for the states that didn't adopt the latest CA rules, like PA.

For PA, under the old CA rules the warranty booklet lists covered parts and the onboard charger is one of them...

I can't understand how CA would exclude that part from their 15Y/150K mile warranty since it would increase the car's emissions...

I'd ask the dealer for an official list though as they seemed to be looking at the wrong coverage by saying "it isn't the battery".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:55 PM   #10
ADSD530e
Rep

This is great Data LogicalApex! This literally writes out "KLE" - It would not make sense for CA to write this out since we are one of the craziest states with these rules! I will see what I can get from the dealer and look through my docs further as well. Keep you posted.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #11
ADSD530e
Rep

Check this out. Here is the warranty book on the 2018. Look at the last page, is the KLW what they referred to as the "Charge Interface Module" before listing out KLE on 2020 book?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 12:45 PM   #12
ADSD530e
Rep

4/4/23 Update - KLE Module Failure - ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE

ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE dealing with this and BMW Warranty. After researching through all manuals, KLE is listed out on 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 Books. The first print, 2018 this is NOT specifically listed and BMW will NOT stand behind this warranty. I have dealt with the iTeam and with all of the back and forth, they will NOT re-evaluate this service request. I have absolutely been shafted on this and stuck with the $1,600 repair for a known issue. This is absolutely disgusting and makes me hate this BMW EV even more. This experience has really made me feel differently with BMW, which I have been a long-standing fan. I have nothing else good to report on this except for me to try and DUMP this 2018 530e and stay away from all EV until they really get it streamlined.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 02:39 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE dealing with this and BMW Warranty. After researching through all manuals, KLE is listed out on 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 Books. The first print, 2018 this is NOT specifically listed and BMW will NOT stand behind this warranty. I have dealt with the iTeam and with all of the back and forth, they will NOT re-evaluate this service request. I have absolutely been shafted on this and stuck with the $1,600 repair for a known issue. This is absolutely disgusting and makes me hate this BMW EV even more. This experience has really made me feel differently with BMW, which I have been a long-standing fan. I have nothing else good to report on this except for me to try and DUMP this 2018 530e and stay away from all EV until they really get it streamlined.
This is really sad to hear and blows my mind that the onboard charger wouldn't be covered. It is also what soils my impression of the brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 03:47 PM   #14
ADSD530e
Rep

UPDATE 4/13/2023 - ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS AND DISGUSTING with BMW and the handling of this. I Pushed this again through BMW Service last week, and they are stating that this KLE is NOT covered and will do nothing in regards to extending warranty or comp repairs because the 2018 DOES NOT COVER THIS PART?!?!?!? However in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 this part is listed under the emissions and battery warranty?!?!?!?!? ABSOLUTELY MIND blowing and disgusted with this entire process. I have had 6 cars from BMW and have never had these issues. I just hit 49,400 miles on this car. ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS. I guess a last resort is to post this on the NHTSA because I know that I am not the only one getting screwed on this.

Absolutely soiled impression and the goal is just to unload this car. Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 04:08 PM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
UPDATE 4/13/2023 - ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS AND DISGUSTING with BMW and the handling of this. I Pushed this again through BMW Service last week, and they are stating that this KLE is NOT covered and will do nothing in regards to extending warranty or comp repairs because the 2018 DOES NOT COVER THIS PART?!?!?!? However in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 this part is listed under the emissions and battery warranty?!?!?!?!? ABSOLUTELY MIND blowing and disgusted with this entire process. I have had 6 cars from BMW and have never had these issues. I just hit 49,400 miles on this car. ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS. I guess a last resort is to post this on the NHTSA because I know that I am not the only one getting screwed on this.

Absolutely soiled impression and the goal is just to unload this car. Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!
I can’t confirm they will sort it out as I haven’t had to use it yet. But if you are a BMWCCA member you can try the ombudsman.

https://www.bmwcca.org/ombudsmen
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 09:39 PM   #16
X5Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Damn. I have a 2018 also. Hope you get it resolved.
Appreciate 0