BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Rotator cuff surgery and bone spurs in same shoulder

03-17-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Rotator cuff surgery and bone spurs in same shoulder

I have had this for quite some time and was debating getting surgery done, but the down time being out of work worries me and it might not resolve the pain.

Anyone have this type of injury, did you get the surgery? In my 50's so healing time is not as fast as it used to be. Was my dominant arm but not so much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I got something going on in left shoulder. My chiro told me what it was but I forgot. Sometimes the bone in the top of the shoulder that connects the arm, it gets bothered and enlarged and then I can feel the tightness in the bicep, elbow and forearm.

It's fucking up my workouts but it's not unbearable - more annoyance than anything.
I'll see him again in a few days and ask specifically but the shit he's doing works.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
I have had this for quite some time and was debating getting surgery done, but the down time being out of work worries me and it might not resolve the pain.

Anyone have this type of injury, did you get the surgery? In my 50's so healing time is not as fast as it used to be. Was my dominant arm but not so much anymore.
I had a major shoulder surgery years back and it was rough. Mine was open bankart if I remember correctly and was from 10 dislocations. Recovery time was fairly long and very painful. Not trying to shy you away. I am glad I did it and would do it again but the 14 days post-op was the most miserable 14 days of my life. I was around 30 at the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #4
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
How long were you out of work. Thinking Aflac or a like insurance policy to cover the down time is what I am going to need.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How long were you out of work. Thinking Aflac or a like insurance policy to cover the down time is what I am going to need.
Luckily my job has a high level of flexibility. Talk to your doc but based on my situation I would plant 2-3 weeks depending on what you do for a living.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///M320i and X5

I’ve had numerous procedures on my right/dominant shoulder and as previously stated, it sucks. I took 3 weeks off after each surgery, but depending on your line of work, you might need more off, or less.
If you’ll be required to wear an immobilizer, that seemed to make life a little more difficult to me.
Sadly I need another procedure but at this point I’m not sure I’ll do it.

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #7
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Was told 3-4 months. If it was in terms of weeks I would have done it already.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #8
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC 2010 F650GS

Quote:

I have a 6mm tear in my left rotator cuff that I managed to rehab enough to survive without surgery, but it still hurts at times and is quite a bit weaker that the other one.

I work with a guy who has had both shoulders done. One was an open up and repair the tear type that took something like 4-6months to heal and get back to work, the other was…..way worse. Complete rotator tear repair, complete with metal plates and screws, and Dremel type tools used. His surgeon tried to talk him out of getting it done because of the pain and loooooooooooong recover. He was off work for almost a year.
      03-17-2022, 08:00 PM   #9
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Was told 3-4 months. If it was in terms of weeks I would have done it already.
I’m not saying I was healed or even able to use the arm after the 3 weeks off. After each procedure/surgery I had to wear an immobilizer for 6-7 weeks, PT 3-4 times a week starting 2 weeks post-op. I’ve had numerous orthopedic surgeries on many of my joints, the shoulder was by far the worst recovery and life altering.

Are you saying you’ll have to be off work for 3-4 months?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #10
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddBlack88 View Post
I have a 6mm tear in my left rotator cuff that I managed to rehab enough to survive without surgery, but it still hurts at times and is quite a bit weaker that the other one.

I work with a guy who has had both shoulders done. One was an open up and repair the tear type that took something like 4-6months to heal and get back to work, the other was…..way worse. Complete rotator tear repair, complete with metal plates and screws, and Dremel type tools used. His surgeon tried to talk him out of getting it done because of the pain and loooooooooooong recover. He was off work for almost a year.
I regret having the surgeries, but the first couple of procedures were required. After years of PT and numerous injections, nothing helped much. But the following surgeries, injections and procedures seemed to make things worse.
If PT/rehab is an option to avoid surgical intervention, go that route. Believe me

Last edited by Pablo Chacon; 03-17-2022 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #11
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

I would note that the worst of my job was typing in a keyboard. If you are doing physical labor your down time will be much longer. It was a year before I could play golf again with pain.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:33 PM   #12
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
I would note that the worst of my job was typing in a keyboard. If you are doing physical labor your down time will be much longer. It was a year before I could play golf again with pain.
Same here, desk job was the only reason I was able to go back to work in 3-4 weeks.

As previously stated, it a long and painful recovery. If you want some practice with day to day life while recovering, tie your tight arm to your side for a day. Things like eating, brushing teeth, putting on deodorant, using the bathroom etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #13
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

OP shave that armpit the morning of surgery. I didn't and at that time in my life didn't groom my pits. The stench that came from that pit around day 10 was not pleasant and the first time I tried to put on deodorant all my pit hair fell out from rot. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
OP shave that armpit the morning of surgery. I didn't and at that time in my life didn't groom my pits. The stench that came from that pit around day 10 was not pleasant and the first time I tried to put on deodorant all my pit hair fell out from rot. Sorry.
Well, that concludes my evenings appetite. Not to mention any potential surgeries on shoulder lol
Appreciate 5
Nuckle2218.00
Dpc2u11503.00
mdf278.50
Dang3r12512.00
      03-17-2022, 08:59 PM   #15
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Try to get a second or third opinion from other Surgeons before making a decision.
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2218.00
      03-17-2022, 10:16 PM   #16
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

I'm in my late 40s and am nursing a frozen shoulder for the past two months on my dominant (right) arm. I got a steroid injection a couple of weeks back and things seem to be improving; the Dr indicated that it should be resolved in a month after the injection. If it does not resolve itself, we would do an MRI to see what to try next.

I second the suggestion made above to try and get 2-3 opinions regarding what to do. My sense is that surgery should always be the last option. I tore the meniscus in my right knee when I was in my 30s, and my (then) Dr told me to avoid surgery unless my income depended on it.

I am a big fan of PT. However, you really need to do it and do it for months before you see results. People give up too soon because they expect things to get better right away. I've dealt with a lot of musculoskeletal issues for a long time; in hindsight, they could have been resolved more quickly and more permanently if I kept up with PT.
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2218.00
      03-17-2022, 11:02 PM   #17
mdf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Have any of you found a good product or method for icing your shoulder?

What has worked best for me is a DIY ice pack, a mix of isopropyl alcohol and tap water in nested ziploc freezer bags. That's the only thing I've found that's heavy enough and forms over my shoulder. But it's clumsy and has to be balanced, and the bags periodically leak and piss slushy IPA in my freezer and all over my furniture, and I got a superficial burn when I didn't realize one bag was leaking and it soaked through the towel. I tried a velcro wrap-around sling style ice pack holder and it just didn't work for me. Never got cold enough. And getting it fastened around me with an injured shoulder was also a bit tricky.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:11 PM   #18
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Have any of you found a good product or method for icing your shoulder?

What has worked best for me is a DIY ice pack, a mix of isopropyl alcohol and tap water in nested ziploc freezer bags. That's the only thing I've found that's heavy enough and forms over my shoulder. But it's clumsy and has to be balanced, and the bags periodically leak and piss slushy IPA in my freezer and all over my furniture, and I got a superficial burn when I didn't realize one bag was leaking and it soaked through the towel. I tried a velcro wrap-around sling style ice pack holder and it just didn't work for me. Never got cold enough. And getting it fastened around me with an injured shoulder was also a bit tricky.
These are awesome and I bit the bullet in 2016 and bought one.

https://gameready.com/wraps/

Ex Wife has it now 🤦🏼.
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      03-17-2022, 11:56 PM   #19
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Had rotator cuff surgery 4 years ago; one tendon torn the other shredded. Had to sleep in my recliner for 6 weeks; there's no way I could sleep in bed with that sling. I hated life the whole 6 weeks and regretted having it done. Then PT started and I hated life even more! My therapist said I would probably get 85%-90% of my range of motion back. I had my double CABG about 2 weeks into my PT, which I thought would set back my shoulder recovery; it did not even though I could no longer do some of the exercises. Now, I'm happy I had it done. I have at least 99% ROM back and my shoulder no longer locks-up and it's pain free.

If you do have the surgery, do yourself a favor and get an ice machine. It circulates ice water through a pad on your shoulder and reduces inflammation and pain... A LOT! If they do a nerve-block, be aware that since it basically numbs that side of your torso, you won't feel that you're breathing. I went into full panic mode when that happened.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 04:02 AM   #20
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I work in the cnc field so I am always in working around the machine. I don't bother with pain relievers anymore because good ones are addictive and I don't like feeling that way and the light ones don't do squat for me anymore. My ROM is very limited, I'm probably going to talk with a second doctor about it in next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 08:03 AM   #21
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I had my Labrum and rotator cuff done on my right shoulder about 12 years ago. I was in my mid 40’s. It’s no fun. It was my non dominant side. I have less pain and more power but I also have less range of motion. It’s scare tissue now so it’s not getting any better.

Do your PT like your life depends on it. Your optimal recovery certainly does. I was working for my self and did a 1/2 assed rehab bc I needed to work. In retrospect it was a bad decision.

Also if you are anywhere near NYC go to HSS hospital for special surgery. They do these all day long and that’s the doctor you want to use. I was dumb and used An Ortho guy who did my knee perfectly but only fair on my shoulder.

Get a specialized hospitals and dr.

If you are going to HSS I really feel they are tops in the USA for all Ortho surgeries.

Wish someone told me that back then.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #22
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
I'm in my late 40s and am nursing a frozen shoulder for the past two months on my dominant (right) arm. I got a steroid injection a couple of weeks back and things seem to be improving; the Dr indicated that it should be resolved in a month after the injection. If it does not resolve itself, we would do an MRI to see what to try next.

I second the suggestion made above to try and get 2-3 opinions regarding what to do. My sense is that surgery should always be the last option. I tore the meniscus in my right knee when I was in my 30s, and my (then) Dr told me to avoid surgery unless my income depended on it.

I am a big fan of PT. However, you really need to do it and do it for months before you see results. People give up too soon because they expect things to get better right away. I've dealt with a lot of musculoskeletal issues for a long time; in hindsight, they could have been resolved more quickly and more permanently if I kept up with PT.
I've had adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) in both shoulders. The first go-around occurred in my non-dominant (left) shoulder. I made the mistake of not getting to the doctor and PT right away, so I ended up having surgery to release the adhesions. The surgery was successful, but the whole ordeal lasted a very painful 6 months, plus 140 physical therapy sessions.

Years later, my right shoulder started the same initial symptoms, so I got into PT right away and averted surgery. Still, that required 120 physical therapy sessions. And again, it was very painful.

So, my experiences are that shoulder problems are complex and take a long, long time to be resolved. You will likely be off work for a while and will likely have restrictions when you return. Prescription pain meds helped during my ordeals, but they turned me into a zombie. I can't stress enough that recovery is a long-term ordeal.

Best of luck to you all with shoulder problems.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1