BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Polestar 4 "SUV-Coupe" Debuts with No Rear Window

04-21-2023, 06:04 AM   #23
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
No the point is that side mirrors work and are what are needed for driving safely. The rear view mirror is nice to have not a need to have.
You don't want to know what is coming up directly behind you? Have you never been in a situation where someone is flying up your ass, is unaware that traffic is backing up ahead, and thanks to the rearview mirror and back window you move out of the way so you don't get rear ended?

I applaud the technology for vehicles that don't/can't have a rear window and mirror like a box truck. But why take away the window?
PcarFan932.00
      04-21-2023, 06:18 AM   #24
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

My side mirrors are set up so that I minimize the blind spots, i.e., cars transition from rear view mirror to side mirror to my peripheral vision. I cannot see directly behind with my side mirrors.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15761.00
Efthreeoh17309.00
      04-21-2023, 02:33 PM   #25
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
You don't want to know what is coming up directly behind you? Have you never been in a situation where someone is flying up your ass, is unaware that traffic is backing up ahead, and thanks to the rearview mirror and back window you move out of the way so you don't get rear ended?

I applaud the technology for vehicles that don't/can't have a rear window and mirror like a box truck. But why take away the window?
One can know what is coming up directly from behind with properly adjusted side mirrors. You are just not used to using them in that manner. Others are.

You will have to ask the designers why there is no back window.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:35 PM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
One can know what is coming up directly from behind with properly adjusted side mirrors. You are just not used to using them in that manner. Others are.

You will have to ask the designers why there is no back window.
Sorry, calling BS on that one. NFW.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:49 PM   #27
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

Uh, no. You can't. Let's agree to disagree.
      04-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #28
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
No the point is that side mirrors work and are what are needed for driving safely. The rear view mirror is nice to have not a need to have.
We found another one here that sets up their side mirrors wrong.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00
      04-21-2023, 03:54 PM   #29
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
no body cladding? How will we know it's an SUV?
Well, this vehicle is clearly a sedan but it identifies as an SUV. So SUV it is.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2023, 04:38 PM   #30
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I thought SUV was a term used to avoid CAFE regulations? Why does an EV need to use it?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Prob has stick-on fisheyes...
Appreciate 1
RM72892.50
      04-21-2023, 08:16 PM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Uh, no. You can't. Let's agree to disagree.
Uh, just plain No!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:38 PM   #33
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Incorrect. But thanks for assuming.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 05:35 PM   #34
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Incorrect. But thanks for assuming.
No, as pointed out, unless you have a tow vehicle that has multiple side mirrors, your side mirrors are for your blind spot, not rearward vision. If you set them to see the side of your car, then you are inherently missing the blind spot, whiplashing your neck like an idiot while trying to merge. This is literally how SIDE mirrors are supposed to be set, so that as a car moves OUT of your rear view mirror on the side of you, it moves into the side mirror. Lost of people...most, "don't have no time for that" to learn the right way to do it, instant gratification and ignorance. Yes, we are designing it out with self-driving cars...because those people are unwilling to actually read their manuals and set up their cars correctly.
      04-24-2023, 11:27 PM   #35
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, as pointed out, unless you have a tow vehicle that has multiple side mirrors, your side mirrors are for your blind spot, not rearward vision. If you set them to see the side of your car, then you are inherently missing the blind spot, whiplashing your neck like an idiot while trying to merge. This is literally how SIDE mirrors are supposed to be set, so that as a car moves OUT of your rear view mirror on the side of you, it moves into the side mirror. Lost of people...most, "don't have no time for that" to learn the right way to do it, instant gratification and ignorance. Yes, we are designing it out with self-driving cars...because those people are unwilling to actually read their manuals and set up their cars correctly.
I have not said side mirrors are for rearward vision. I have said properly side mirrors can be used for rearward vision. There is a difference.

Properly adjusted sided mirrors are as you describe and how I have my mirrors adjusted. What you and some others are assuming incorrectly, is one can not use properly adjusted side mirrors to see rearward. Simply move your head accordingly.

When my rearview mirror is blocked. Which it can be when I have large items in the back. I do not adjust my mirrors. I simply move my head as needed to see rearward. It is not any big deal. And why I stated a rear view mirror is a nice to have not a need to have.

Going back the no rear window and camera rear-view paranoia on the Polestar. If the camera was blocked or dirty it would not bother me as I am fully comfortable moving my head and using my side mirrors to see rearward. Others obviously are not.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 04-24-2023 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 01:56 AM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not said side mirrors are for rearward vision. I have said properly side mirrors can be used for rearward vision. There is a difference.

Properly adjusted sided mirrors are as you describe and how I have my mirrors adjusted. What you and some others are assuming incorrectly, is one can not use properly adjusted side mirrors to see rearward. Simply move your head accordingly.

When my rearview mirror is blocked. Which it can be when I have large items in the back. I do not adjust my mirrors. I simply move my head as needed to see rearward. It is not any big deal. And why I stated a rear view mirror is a nice to have not a need to have.

Going back the no rear window and camera rear-view paranoia on the Polestar. If the camera was blocked or dirty it would not bother me as I am fully comfortable moving my head and using my side mirrors to see rearward. Others obviously are not.
Well, my counter to your point is that moving your head to adjust your relative eye angle to the side mirrors so you can see directly behind the car distracts you from looking forward out the windshield. It is a better state of situational awareness to have an interior rear view mirror to easily see straight back behind the vehicle. It is far less fatiguing, thus safer to drive using 3 mirrors rather than just 2.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-25-2023 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
RM72892.50