BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Who changes their own tires w/o having a garage?

04-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Who changes their own tires w/o having a garage?

I mostly live in condos so whenever I change my tires, it's a real chore, and now that I'm getting older, it's getting to be more tiresome. How many of you guys are still doing this, e.g. lugging the new tires and equipment from your condo or storage unit to your carspot and then back again?

I imagine for ppl w their own garage, it takes, what, 20 minutes if even? I timed myself, the whole process (including lugging my equipment to and from) took 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

You mean change wheel/tire combos.

I have a garage, and it takes 45 minutes front to back, but I'm extremely careful. A lot of the time is spent moving the massive wheel/tire combos from the basement to the garage.

Back when I was doing it on the Lotus, with the super light combos, and huge amounts of clearance, I could do it in 15 minutes.

I do remember doing it in parking spaces though, and it wasn't fun at all.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      04-20-2023, 07:15 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
You mean change wheel/tire combos.

I have a garage, and it takes 45 minutes front to back, but I'm extremely careful. A lot of the time is spent moving the massive wheel/tire combos from the basement to the garage.

Back when I was doing it on the Lotus, with the super light combos, and huge amounts of clearance, I could do it in 15 minutes.

I do remember doing it in parking spaces though, and it wasn't fun at all.
Ya, for sure the wheel+tire...are there really ppl who have that machine at home to change out tires from the wheel?

How come you don't have all your stuff in the garage? Seems potentially dangerous going up and down the stairs carrying wheels.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 07:19 PM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, for sure the wheel+tire...are there really ppl who have that machine at home to change out tires from the wheel?

How come you don't have all your stuff in the garage? Seems potentially dangerous going up and down the stairs carrying wheels.
Yeah, one of my best friends has his own tire machine.

M2Pilot

I can carry the Lotus wheel/tire combo up and down the stairs, but the M2 stuff is just too heavy, so I put them on the dolly and bring them up that way. It's still insane though, even with FI-R's.

I can't keep all my stuff in the garage because a.) my wife has a side also, and b.) I don't like for the tires to be under 65°. I know it won't technically damage them unless they're on the car rolling under 42°, but I'd still rather them be decently warm throughout the Winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 07:29 PM   #5
M2Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2 6MT

How we do :-)

Tire machines are cheaper than lawyer fees after someone damages my wheels at a tire shop. That’s how I justified it…
Attached Images

HondaRC51251.00
jmack548.50
///MPhatic13862.50
eleven11371.50
Bruuuce341.50
yousefnjr6157.50
      04-20-2023, 07:38 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, one of my best friends has his own tire machine.

M2Pilot

I can carry the Lotus wheel/tire combo up and down the stairs, but the M2 stuff is just too heavy, so I put them on the dolly and bring them up that way. It's still insane though, even with FI-R's.

I can't keep all my stuff in the garage because a.) my wife has a side also, and b.) I don't like for the tires to be under 65°. I know it won't technically damage them unless they're on the car rolling under 42°, but I'd still rather them be decently warm throughout the Winter.
Man, If I were you, I'd figure out where to store them at the same level as your garage, that's just asking for trouble, one slip, man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Pilot View Post
How we do :-)

Tire machines are cheaper than lawyer fees after someone damages my wheels at a tire shop. That’s how I justified it…
Wow, that's dedication! How much does the machine cost+cost to run? That's pretty hardcore.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 07:40 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

No comment...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:02 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No comment...
I don't get it...did I do something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:19 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I don't get it...did I do something wrong?
No. Just joking. I have a well-equipped garage. But I used to have your similar problem long time ago. You need to find a car club with a communal shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:25 PM   #10
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

It's not a race unless you're getting paid per wheel. I usually take my time and sometimes just do without power tools, usually about 1hr. Maybe invest in lightweight wheels for hauling across the parking garage?
Appreciate 3
No one1044.50
Cos270608.50
      04-20-2023, 08:41 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No. Just joking. I have a well-equipped garage. But I used to have your similar problem long time ago. You need to find a car club with a communal shop.
To store the wheels? I know lots of shops have that, but they also change for you and I don't want them torquing my lugbolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
It's not a race unless you're getting paid per wheel. I usually take my time and sometimes just do without power tools, usually about 1hr. Maybe invest in lightweight wheels for hauling across the parking garage?
True true, I just find I'm doing it slower this latest time. It's true my OEM wheels aren't exactly the lightest things out there but I can't be bothered so I guess I'll havta grin and bear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:47 PM   #12
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I do. I don't hurry. It takes me over 2 hours I guess.

When I had a garage it was too small so I did it outside. The same now that I use a parking spot: it's better to put the car into the passage and I am lucky it's in a dead end .

It should take me about 10 minutes to prepare: to make sure I can undo the wheel bolts (once, after a mechanic asshole, I had to address a professional to have them loosened, luckily in the same parking), to uncover/unpile the wheels, to take out the tools.

Then changing the wheels. Using OEM tools (BMW seems to discontinue the set ) is quite difficult. So I got myself better ones: a hydraulic jack, a jack pad adapter, a wheel hanger pin, wheel chocks, a breaker bar, a long socket, a quick release ratchet wrench, a regular socket. The bolts don't go easily. The front wheels rotate. The rims might stick to the hubs. I inspect every tire. I guess it's about an hour.

Then I have to pile/cover the wheels, wipe (meticulously: I like my stuff clean!) and remove/pack the tools. This should take about 20 minutes.

Then I need to drive a bit (BMW recommends 70 km. but I drive about 70 meters winding) before checking the bolts with the OEM torque wrench. Then I need to (foot) pump the tires (take out the pump, use it, wipe it, put it back away). This should take about 30 minutes.

I can't believe those supplementary things take that long (longer, in fact ), I take no breaks but neither hurry.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 09:03 PM   #13
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

I do the swap for our 3 cars.

Used to store the sets up on a 4’x20’ shelf at the back of the garage. Two winters ago, decided it was too much work to lug 3 sets up and down the ladder to store them up there. Now I just store them on the floor against the back wall of the garage….my back thanks me

I usually do a few neighbours cars as well, most of them bring me a bottle of rum, whiskey or case of beer for doing it.

I have a 20 gallon compressor, but recently ‘upgraded’ to a Dewalt 20v Max Impact wrench…now my ears thank me it’s quieter, lighter and has more breaking and tightening tq than my Snap-On air wrench.
Appreciate 2
PcarFan932.00
      04-20-2023, 10:00 PM   #14
PcarFan
Baned
Rep
Drives: BMW

You don`t need a garage to change your wheels/tires, all you need is the proper tools and easy access to the wheels/tires.

I have a garage but I never change my wheels/tires in the garage. The garage is always full, summer or winter, so I change them in the driveway.

I keep my wheels/tires in a shed in the backyard and I use a hand truck (like the one in the pic) to bring the tires from the shed to the driveway. The shed is approx.. 100ft from the driveway.
I can carry 2 wheels at the time in the hand truck, so I bring 2 wheels to the driveway, change 2 wheels take the ones I took off to the shed, bring the other 2, change them and take the other 2 to the shed.
With a low profile long reach jack and a cordless impact wrench I usually change the tires on a car in about 30-45 minutes, and that`s including torquing the bolts/nuts and putting everything away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 09:50 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

7-24-14

Times were simpler then.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
PcarFan932.00
M2Pilot278.50
      04-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I mean I can see it being the same as a garage. I lug my wheels from my shed to the garage. Although I know some condo parking are pretty tight so that can be a PITA but my garage is a single car tight one and I do everything in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #17
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
I can certainly sympathize! I've been in a second floor apartment for the past 5 years, but have only been changing out dedicated winter/summer tires for 2. Lugging the jack and 4 sets of tires back and forth is certainly a chore. Luckily, I'm moving down south to much warmer weather in a week and will have my own two car garage! To say I'm excited would be an understatement.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I mean I can see it being the same as a garage. I lug my wheels from my shed to the garage. Although I know some condo parking are pretty tight so that can be a PITA but my garage is a single car tight one and I do everything in it.
I guess it could be but it kinda defeats the purpose of having one's own garage if all the car stuff is stored elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
7-24-14

Times were simpler then.
Always loved the Exiges. Have you ever driven Miatas? How do they compare strictly on handling and weight?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:05 PM   #20
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Always loved the Exiges. Have you ever driven Miatas? How do they compare strictly on handling and weight?
Yeah, I've had 2 Miata's. I had a '97 and then an '04 Mazdaspeed turbo.

The strength of the Miata is the fun factor. The '97 was so much more fun than the '04. It's when the car doesn't take itself too seriously that it's best.

My S2000 was a car that would kill you for not knowing how to drive really, really well. The Exige is the same. No hooning allowed.

Those cars have presence, and performance, but they aren't anywhere near as fun IMO. They are just waiting to kill you.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11488.50
      04-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #21
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I guess it could be but it kinda defeats the purpose of having one's own garage if all the car stuff is stored elsewhere.
True true... my shed is more for general storage and long term storage of older car parts I don't use. Oh and the kayak since that doesn't fit in the shed.... All my tools, jack, jack stands, chemicals, detailing supplies are in the garage. But it's all a tight fit as you can see ha.

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 01:11 PM   #22
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I've had 2 Miata's. I had a '97 and then an '04 Mazdaspeed turbo.

The strength of the Miata is the fun factor. The '97 was so much more fun than the '04. It's when the car doesn't take itself too seriously that it's best.

My S2000 was a car that would kill you for not knowing how to drive really, really well. The Exige is the same. No hooning allowed.

Those cars have presence, and performance, but they aren't anywhere near as fun IMO. They are just waiting to kill you.
I get the fun part, but hey, if one's head is screwed on differently, they can argubly say that they have fun drving a school bus.

I'm trying to seek something more objective , how's the handling compare when you're whipping it around canyon roads, twistys, etc? For sure I know that your Lotus and S2000 have more power but I've always held handling as the top criterion for sportiness.
Appreciate 0