BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2011 Formula 1 DHL Turkish Grand Prix

05-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #45
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Attached Images

05-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #46
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #47
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #48
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I feel for Schumi
I feel for Rosberg . He's clearly the #1 driver at MB, and gets paid a ton less than the dinosaur . Wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari snatches him up.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #49
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I feel for Rosberg . He's clearly the #1 driver at MB, and gets paid a ton less than the dinosaur . Wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari snatches him up.
and ditches Massa. Good idea
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #50
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
and ditches Massa. Good idea
yeah Schumi should never had gotten back into F1.... you leave at the top man.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #51
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
face palm at Schumi today.....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #52
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

Yeah, even as a huge Schumi fan, Im begining to think he should have stayed home. Its a shame, he's just not the same as he used to be.
      05-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #53
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

05-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #54
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Great race, really enjoyable.

However, Speed is HORRIBLE. They missed at least 3 or 4 major moments in the race (by cutting to break). It drove me crazy. I really, really wish we got the BBC feed here in the US
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #55
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
Yeah, even as a huge Schumi fan, Im begining to think he should have stayed home. Its a shame, he's just not the same as he used to be.
same here, its never fun watching the greats look that bad

Great race overall, DRS is crazy, some of the overtakes I thought were going to be impossible but the way the cars build speed is insane. Made it for a very exciting race. Much props to Kamui for finishing 10th after starting dead last, he is really becoming one of my fav drivers.

Good job to Alonzo also, his F150 looked like the lightning version
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #56
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Great race, really enjoyable.

However, Speed is HORRIBLE. They missed at least 3 or 4 major moments in the race (by cutting to break). It drove me crazy. I really, really wish we got the BBC feed here in the US
The only grief I got from Speed is just the commercials. Overall is mediocre, they need to do more research and collecting news. For example Timo Glock's relegation to P24 was due to a gear box changed. (he ended up didn't make it to the grid at all). All I heard from speed was "some sort of penalty". But BBC found Timo and talked about the situation while mechanics from HRT are changing it. Speed will need to do better on pitlane news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
same here, its never fun watching the greats look that bad

Great race overall, DRS is crazy, some of the overtakes I thought were going to be impossible but the way the cars build speed is insane. Made it for a very exciting race. Much props to Kamui for finishing 10th after starting dead last, he is really becoming one of my fav drivers.

Good job to Alonzo also, his F150 looked like the lightning version
Shumi is just pathetic. His old scare tactics won't work by trying to push others off the road. (Barrichello in Hungary, and Kobayashi this time). But now everyone on the field is more ruthless and sharp than the 7 time world champ is now. Look at how KK overtook Schumi with half of the car on the grass!!!

The only issue I have with DRS is that it creates a lot of action in racing, but the majority limits on the DRS zone. We've only seen a handful overtakes on Turn 9 and Turn 1. I'm not suggesting to ban it, but the FIA and teams have to be very careful how they play with this new tool, otherwise overtake will be very artificial.

Plus, Alonso also warns the overtakes we've seen, many was due to the different tire strategy and condition. We have yet to see the true potential (or how badly it make the sport looks fake) of DRS encourages overtake.
Attached Images

05-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #57
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Finally back from vacation.

Watched the race last night. Not much to say really. It was a good race, entertaining. The DRS zone was too long probably but it didn't bother me too much.

Unfortunate to see Vettel Sunday drive it to another win though. Also disappointed McLaren's updates didn't work out. They did say that the next 2 races will have some big improvements, one of those better be the flexi-wing.

Best part of the race was watching Hamilton and Button trade places 3 or 4 times in a single lap.
      05-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #58
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

They are creating passing through tire degradation = its not what i wanna see.
DRS is kinda cool -- but same concept = 'manufactured passing'

Schumacher = wtf - not only does he UNECCESARILY push Petrov to the inside edge, but then turns IN on him like a rookie and takes his own wing off = what a dumbass.
He needs to watch that race in the motorhome and take lessons from EVERYONE else on how to keep position after that braking zone by staying on the outside (Button v Hamilton).
And then he puts Kamui off track at the same spot.
Shades of Webber squeezing Vettel there last year. I'm surprised and pleased he did not create a big problem like that.

Hamilton and Button showing some modern-day Champion's battle (Gilles v Arneoux type stuff) = Love It.

Vettel is in F1.2 = on another level. He didnt even run until Saturday morning, Basically shows up and dominates.

Great drive from Alonso.

Somehow Rosberg can never get it done. Its like he's cursed. Laps well. Sometimes Qualifies well .... but never finishes at the top.

Last edited by mastek; 05-09-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #59
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Look at how KK overtook Schumi with half of the car on the grass!!!
The biggest showing of that for me was when Sutil was able to dive in on him.
      05-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #60
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
They are creating passing through tire degradation = its not what i wanna see.
DRS is kinda cool -- but same concept = 'manufactured passing'

Schumacher = wtf - not only does he UNECCESARILY push Petrov to the inside edge, but then turns IN on him like a rookie and takes of his own wing = what a dumbass.
He needs to watch that race and take lessons from EVERYONE else on how to keep position after that braking zone by staying on the outside (Button v Hamilton).
And then he puts Kamui off track at the same spot.
Shades of Webber squeezing Vettel there last year. I'm surprised and pleased he did not create a big problem like that.

Hamilton and Button showing some modern-day Champion's battle (Gilles v Arneoux type stuff) = Love It.

Vettel is in F1.2 = on another level. He didnt even run until Saturday morning, Basically shows up and dominates.

Great drive from Alonso.

Somehow Rosberg can never get it done. Its like he's cursed. Laps well. Sometimes Qualifies well .... but never finishes at the top.
I don't entirely agree with the tire and DRS statement. While they are designed to allow overtaking potential, there isn't a man in the office controlling each for all the drivers. He isn't calling the shots on when someone is able to overtake. Instead, each team is given the same initial package and they are allowed to bend and use it as they like. Which is how everything is in a regulated sport. The same is with KERS as well.

The only thing that bugs me about the DRS is just that it is limited to a single section of track, and that section is completely different between any 2 races.
      05-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #61
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I don't entirely agree with the tire and DRS statement. While they are designed to allow overtaking potential, there isn't a man in the office controlling each for all the drivers. He isn't calling the shots on when someone is able to overtake. Instead, each team is given the same initial package and they are allowed to bend and use it as they like. Which is how everything is in a regulated sport. The same is with KERS as well.

The only thing that bugs me about the DRS is just that it is limited to a single section of track, and that section is completely different between any 2 races.
you dont seem to get it --- what "man"??
With the way the tires degrade (quickly) .. your almost never seeing 2 cars with the same amount of grip at the same time = hence the great number of overtaking.

And I never liked the 'no re-fueling' change. Why do I want to see fresh driving in a 6 second, slower, heavier car at the beggining of the race .... and towards the end of the race when fatigue sets in - the cars are faster. Bring refueling back. It makes for much more exciting pit stops -- and more complex startegies.

DRS is the future = Active Aerodynamics is the future of F1 -- its just an uphill battle to keep F1 a reasonably financially accessible sport to a majority of teams that is stopping the progress from happening.

Last edited by mastek; 05-09-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #62
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

This is like sending a message saying, we encourage you to overtake ONLY at this corner.
      05-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #63
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fernando Alonso has defended the DRS after comments that overtaking in the Turkish Grand Prix was too easy.

Many passing moves occurred in the DRS zone on the run down to turn 12, with the majority being completed on the straight before the cars reached the braking zone. Alonso, however, said that it wasn't the result of the moveable rear wing making overtaking too easy, but more a consequence of the rapidly-degrading Pirelli tyres.

"I think it was fine," Alonso told the BBC. "The overtaking we saw was more from tyre-performance difference than DRS. I like it; we are getting used to it. It is a new F1 compared to last year. When we followed Rosberg in the first couple of laps, it was impossible to overtake him but when he started to have tyre degradation it was very easy to overtake him. So it is more tyre-related."

Alonso also said that detractors of the system should remember that the new rules were implemented by request in order to increase entertainment, though he hoped the races were not becoming too difficult to follow.

"It is what the people asked," he said. "More show, more pit stops, more overtaking. It can be a bit confusing for people. You can follow the first five guys but you cannot follow the 14th place because it is already too many stops. But the important thing is lots of people in the grandstands and lots of people in front of the television and hopefully this year it is better."
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ory/48190.html
      05-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #64
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
you dont seem to get it --- what "man"??
With the way the tires degrade (quickly) .. your almost never seeing 2 cars with the same amount of grip at the same time = hence the great number of overtaking.

And I never liked the 'no re-fueling' change. Why do I want to see fresh driving in a 6 second, slower, heavier car at the beggining of the race .... and towards the end of the race when fatigue sets in - the cars are faster. Bring refueling back. It makes for much more exciting pit stops -- and more complex startegies.

DRS is the future = Active Aerodynamics is the future of F1 -- its just an uphill battle to keep F1 a reasonably financially accessible sport to a majority of teams that is stopping the progress from happening.
Refueling is the same thing though. Then, instead of being on different phases of a tires' life, you will be on different weights of the car. So when 1 car passes another, it will be a car with less fuel weight passing a heavier, recently fueled car. The difference is only that with regard to tires you are quicker right out of the gate from the pits; with regard to fuel you are quicker at the end of a stint right before you pit again.

I'm sure it can get more complex than that when you take into account the endless variation of how much fuel goes in at any one times, but the basics don't change. If you want to just see pure racing without breaks or 'resets' which is kind of what the pitstop provides, then the fast car will always drive off into the sunset, RBR style.

My comment about the 'man' was hypothetical. Portraying a situation in where the races would be truly choreographed and synthetic.
      05-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #65
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Quote:
The biggest showing of that for me was when Sutil was able to dive in on him.
the same thing at the same spot happened to Rosberg near the end of the GP... I forget who... Button and Massa?

Maybe I'm getting old, and I was DEFINITELY hungover, but these races are becoming hard to follow.

/rant

everyone seems to think that F1 NEEDS more overtaking... maybe I am all wrong and who cares, really, but it seemed as that came from comparing it to other series, like say, NASCAR. Well, they're different, and they always have been. I do think that at some point F1 got too technical and drivers became passengers (automatic gearboxes anyone?) and there was also a red team with a german driver taking everything home... and then action was needed. But no matter how much more exciting races become and how much overtaking takes place (remember last year China was a record, and now we keep going for more?) the idea in everyone's mind is that it is not enough and we need more and more to keep the sport alive. I guess it's understood that otherwise everyone will just watch NASCAR??? It is not my thing and to each their own, but I don't enjoy a race where leading means nothing and every 10 seconds things change drastically. All I'm saying is how much is enough?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #66
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images