BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Smoked tails

10-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Smoked tails

My search resulted in nothing so figured I ask...

Anyone else find the pre-LCI tails a little TOO red? I've been debating tinting my tails very lightly...maybe 50% or lighter even. Just looking to see if anyone else has done it. I just want it to look a little darker without looking too custom.

I was also considering swapping the tails for a LCI set...but since I tend to swap cars every few years, I might save those tails for the next car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

I had smoked taillight on my previous car, realized i like stock color better on every car i owned… except that time toyota had some pink on their taillights, not surprised that trend didnt stay too long.

If you like tinted look and had done it in the past, im sure u'll like the look on ur current car…

And as you said, if will switch to a new ride soon, no point on doing LCI conversion… better get other mods that can carry over to the Lci model like exhaust system etc
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:29 AM   #3
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
I hear you on the pre-LCI tails being big and red, although I thought they were fine until the LCI's came out and then the older ones were just haunting me and looked bigger and bigger and reder and reder every time I walked up.

I also hear you on weighing out the investment and the return if you don't keep your cars long. I usually don't either but tell myself with every new car I'm going to keep it for 10 years which in reality is 2-3.

All this said, I'm a compulsive idiot. I've put over $5,000 into my car in 5 months that I probably won't get back, but it makes me happy. I'll get some money back but it will involve a sell off.

Anyway, my advice, get the LCI tails and take them off and sell them on sale or trade. That's my plan or what I tell myself. Whether I'm too lazy to swap the old ones back in on trade remains to be seen. There will be a good market for these going forward, not so much the old ones. I'm keeping my old ones for this purpose. No one wants them anyway. I'm not into tinting. It's just not stock and self tinted tails stick out as much as big and red to me.
      10-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
Alpine540iM
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M sport, Eurocharged

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxs1687 View Post

Anyone else find the pre-LCI tails a little TOO red? I've been debating tinting my tails very lightly...maybe 50% or lighter even. Just looking to see if anyone else has done it. I just want it to look a little darker without looking too custom.

I was also considering swapping the tails for a LCI set...but since I tend to swap cars every few years, I might save those tails for the next car.
This is how they look with a 60% tint
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NGT25406.50
      10-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
Alpine540iM
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine540iM View Post
Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #6
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
I hear you on the pre-LCI tails being big and red, although I thought they were fine until the LCI's came out and then the older ones were just haunting me and looked bigger and bigger and reder and reder every time I walked up.

I also hear you on weighing out the investment and the return if you don't keep your cars long. I usually don't either but tell myself with every new car I'm going to keep it for 10 years which in reality is 2-3.

All this said, I'm a compulsive idiot. I've put over $5,000 into my car in 5 months that I probably won't get back, but it makes me happy. I'll get some money back but it will involve a sell off.

Anyway, my advice, get the LCI tails and take them off and sell them on sale or trade. That's my plan or what I tell myself. Whether I'm too lazy to swap the old ones back in on trade remains to be seen. There will be a good market for these going forward, not so much the old ones. I'm keeping my old ones for this purpose. No one wants them anyway. I'm not into tinting. It's just not stock and self tinted tails stick out as much as big and red to me.
Lol! Happiness is key! I'm not usually into the smoking of lights either, though I thought a super light tint might just calm the red-ness down a little...and still kind of keep that stock appeal. I may end up doing what you did. After that video you sent me of your tails, I was soooo tempted but I know I'm going to get yelled at for spending more money on a car that I already spent a bunch of money on buying!! Maybe in a few months.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This doesn't look bad at all...really good actually. Its almost exactly what I was picturing in my head, but I wanted to try and cut out the reverse light to keep that white. Other than that, this tint might be what I end up doing. Decisions decisions!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Lol! Happiness is key! I'm not usually into the smoking of lights either, though I thought a super light tint might just calm the red-ness down a little...and still kind of keep that stock appeal. I may end up doing what you did. After that video you sent me of your tails, I was soooo tempted but I know I'm going to get yelled at for spending more money on a car that I already spent a bunch of money on buying!! Maybe in a few months.
They key is, don't tell! She won't even notice the new lights For me it's not the money I'll get shit about, it's the "I thought you said you were going to go all OCD this time?". I don't want to hear it.
Mandingo93461.00
      10-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The white car is 60%? Looks nice. I have a med blue M550 and have been debating about tinting my tails, but don't know how dark to make it. The LCI tail lights look amazing, but like some of you I WILL get yelled at for spending $1000+ on taillights…. . I promised I'd keep this one stock and I've so far "mostly" done that…
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
Alpine540iM
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
maDjzo851.00
I3LaZeN504.50
Mandingo93461.00
      10-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #10
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
That looks very good
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They key is, don't tell! She won't even notice the new lights For me it's not the money I'll get shit about, it's the "I thought you said you were going to go all OCD this time?". I don't want to hear it.
You make an excellent point sir, she probably wouldn't even notice LOL! She couldn't tell the difference when I swapped from the F10 to the G30 (both Alpine White), until she got into the car. I saw a 2018-2020 M5 yest with the Euro spec LCIs on the road. Very tempting and I do like the idea of removing them and getting a few dollars back on it after selling the car. Hmmmm

Quote:
Quote:

Anyone else find the pre-LCI tails a little TOO red? I've been debating tinting my 3Dtails very lightly...maybe 50% or lighter even. Just looking to see if anyone else has done it. I just want it to look a little darker without looking too custom.

Thanks for the additional pics. Looks good. If I go this route, I may even consider going a tiny bit lighter even...maybe 70ish. I do love the LCI tails but I still like these tails too. Did you tint the bumper reflectors too or black them out? I can't tell from the pics. I think the brightness of the red becomes instantly noticeable for me every time I'm parked next to my wife's car. (I'm still riding around with that stupid CA paper window registration permit. They're taking forever to get my paperwork in for my real plates )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #12
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You make an excellent point sir, she probably wouldn't even notice LOL! She couldn't tell the difference when I swapped from the F10 to the G30 (both Alpine White), until she got into the car. I saw a 2018-2020 M5 yest with the Euro spec LCIs on the road. Very tempting and I do like the idea of removing them and getting a few dollars back on it after selling the car. Hmmmm

Quote:
Quote:

Anyone else find the pre-LCI tails a little TOO red? I've been debating tinting my 3Dtails very lightly...maybe 50% or lighter even. Just looking to see if anyone else has done it. I just want it to look a little darker without looking too custom.

Thanks for the additional pics. Looks good. If I go this route, I may even consider going a tiny bit lighter even...maybe 70ish. I do love the LCI tails but I still like these tails too. Did you tint the bumper reflectors too or black them out? I can't tell from the pics. I think the brightness of the red becomes instantly noticeable for me every time I'm parked next to my wife's car. (I'm still riding around with that stupid CA paper window registration permit. They're taking forever to get my paperwork in for my real plates )
I'm a bad influence! I here you on women not noticing anything car related. Sometimes it's good for something like spending foolish money on lights, and sometimes it's frustrating when you get an entire new car and they say "it looks the same as your other one".
      10-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #13
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Compared to the Lexus, I see why you said its too red… i would feel the same
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #14
Alpine540iM
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Just black vinyl on the reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #15
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a bad influence! I here you on women not noticing anything car related. Sometimes it's good for something like spending foolish money on lights, and sometimes it's frustrating when you get an entire new car and they say "it looks the same as your other one".
First the flag, then the floating center caps, now the tails!!! Maybe not a bad influence but an influence indeed

...but I love it and like you said, about making it you or me happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuwes710 View Post
Compared to the Lexus, I see why you said its too red… i would feel the same
ugh...yeah. This is what I see everyday so I def want to do something about it!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Just black vinyl on the reflectors
Gotcha, thanks! Well that fixes any issue with the reflectors potentially looking redder than the lights if tinted lol.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337036.00
      10-23-2021, 11:37 PM   #16
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

That's what I've done instead of tints
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
maDjzo851.00
SctsOut06264.50
      10-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #17
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
wait what did you do to these tails?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #18
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:

Same question ! Those look great. If you did not tint them, what did you do ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #19
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
I added black vinyl wrap around the edges.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #20
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
that's it? nothing to the center areas?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:43 AM   #21
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Thst looks excellent! Just black vinyl? Not exactly like LCI tails but very good abs way cheaper! What did you pay to get that done ?

I like it!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:41 AM   #22
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That does look good. Helps take the edge off the size of the tails.

Was that a precut kit or did someone do that free hand?