BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Charging two PHEVs

10-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
TiagoRibeiro
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5

Charging two PHEVs

Hi, we now have the new 530e and my wife's Mini SE Countryman in our garage, but only one electrical socket.

What would be the best way to plug-in both cars ? Having a 2nd electrical socket installed ? Or should I invest on installing a 2 vechicle "wallbox" charger ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Tiago
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:44 AM   #2
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

I would go for to wallboxes. The electrical system in your house may not be fit for plugging in a PHEV to a normal outlet.
      10-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

You need to also determine whether you have adequate electrical service to handle two charging cars simultaneously. When I installed my wallbox, the electrician had to move everything around to get me just enough capacity (I have 225 service).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I recognize that the OP is in Europe and therefore facing a completely different electrical and EVSE supply environment. Nevertheless, I am providing this answer for the benefit of any USA/Canadian readers.

I have two 530e and I am able to individually charge both from one wall box because the usage times are different. The 3.6 Kw charge rate is a PIA, though; since the recharge time is 2X what 7.2Kw would take. About 3 1/2 hr from near zero.

As I recall, one of the EVSE makers offers a dual box solution with communication between the two to keep total amp draw at 40 amp (50 amp breaker). Charge rate varies between the two to keep total under 40 amp until both are fully charged. Cost a little more than twice the cost of two boxes. This is the way to go if you cannot actively manage the plug switch off between cars and electrical service cannot handle two boxes.

Another thought--both cars charge at the 3.6 KW rate (15 amp) and there are a number of 220v. 15 amp EVSE's. If you have two of these, you can do two outlets off a single 40 amp breaker and charge both simultaneously. The 15 amp EVSE's are cheaper than the 40 amp EVSE's. The drawback to this is that if you ever get a full EV with 7.2 Kw, or larger, charging rate, you'll need to buy another EVSE. Check the Amazon listings for EVSE's. They have a very comprehensive list of most that are available. Note that a 15 amp EVSE has a different plug than that of a full-power EVSE--that's why you can put two of these current-limited outlets on a single 40 amp breaker, per code.

Last edited by ted99; 10-28-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 1