BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Rodent damage, giubo, transfer case mount issues

03-18-2024, 06:53 PM   #1
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Rodent damage, giubo, transfer case mount issues

Well folks, the past few months have not been kind to my poor 540i xDrive. I am the original owner and have approximately 87,000 miles. The car has been exclusively dealer maintained at CBS intervals (however I did have automatic transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, and front/rear differential fluids changed at 60,000 miles).

After replacing the valve cover due to PCV failure (thankfully, I was subsequently refunded by BMW due to the extended warranty on this component), I noted that with the onset of spring, I have no air conditioning--the A/C light is on (I leave it on year round and let the car decide what to do) but I am only getting hot air, even on MAX A/C. No warning lights or error messages. The tech noted codes for the refrigerant pressure sensor and noted rodent damage to the "A/C wiring harness" as seen in this image:

The quoted cost of the repair is only about $700, however I was told that there could be more extensive damage and I may wish to consider involving my insurance company. I am hesitant to involve insurance as this is less than my deductible, and I do not have any other issues/warning lights. I asked my SA if there were any codes other than those for the A/C pressure sensor and he said no, so it seems unlikely to me that there would be other significant damage--am I on the right track here? He did mention that if there was extensive wiring damage the cost could approach $10,000, but again I have no other issues or warning lights so it just seems weird that this would be the case.

While doing a multi point inspection, the tech noticed a crack in the giubo:

as well a leaking transfer case mount. He did say the transfer case itself was dry.

For the A/C wiring harness, my thought is to let them fix what they can see for $700, and then if there are still issues consider involving my insurance company. However, I would prefer not to bring an issue to their attention unless I truly have a catastrophic repair on my hands. Is it likely that there is truly much more wiring damage if I don't have any other issues or warning indicators from the vehicle? How difficult is it for me to get in there once the repair is done and add some rodent proof tape or something? The SA said they cannot add anything other than the replacement part, but that he does not really see people come back with repeat rodent damage.

I just had the brake fluid replaced by the same dealer in February (as well as the valve cover last fall), and neither the giubo nor the transfer case mount were noted to be issues before. It seems odd that these issues would crop up in such a short time.

How severe/urgent are the issues with the giubo and transfer case mount? Is it critical to replace these components right away or would I notice some other symptom such as vibration or noise to indicate a need for urgent intervention? What are the consequences of not performing these repairs? I have always believed in maintaining the car properly and not deferring maintenance, but if I replace these "soft" components now, presumably the clock starts again before yet another replacement, so I want to make sure I am getting my money's worth out of these parts.

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:43 PM   #2
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

If funds are tight, I would say both can wait. The mount leaking, only means more vibration can come through into the passenger compartment. The transfer case is not going to come loose or anything.

By BMWs own bulletins, the guibo is not replaced under warranty, until white fibers from inside are visible and coming out of the cracks. So again, if no other symptoms of vibration or anything, you can put this off as well for now. Its funny that once you are outside of the factory warranty the dealers are quick to point out cracked guibos and recommend replacement.
Appreciate 0