BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) E90 owners, lets talk PPF

05-04-2024, 11:56 AM   #1
gsx-lex
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

E90 owners, lets talk PPF

Hey everyone , just got an E90 and the paint is absolutely fantastic and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm considering getting PPF done (DM me if you have recommendations in the MD/DC/NoVa area), but am slightly apprehensive. A quick search online seems to suggest that some people love it, while others complain about scratch marks, bubbles, etc.

For those of you that have gotten it done:
Did you do that entire car or just certain sections (and why)?
How long did it last (or is expected to last)?
What sort of maintenance to you do for upkeep (regular car washes, avoid certain soaps, etc)?

Thanks.
      05-04-2024, 02:59 PM   #2
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
If you get someone skilled in the application, you won't have bubbles and scratches.

I have only ever done bumpers and partial hood, as whole car PPF is really expensive. The oldest application I have had looked good until year 14, when I had to have it replaced. I would say it aged really well, then the last year or so it yellowed and cracked. After getting it replaced, the SUV looked brand new again (and still does).

The vendor told me to occasionally use cleaner wax to keep the PPF looking fresh.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2024, 06:28 PM   #3
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx-lex View Post
Hey everyone , just got an E90 and the paint is absolutely fantastic and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm considering getting PPF done (DM me if you have recommendations in the MD/DC/NoVa area), but am slightly apprehensive. A quick search online seems to suggest that some people love it, while others complain about scratch marks, bubbles, etc.

What sort of maintenance to you do for upkeep (regular car washes, avoid certain soaps, etc)?

Thanks.

There are some folks who have done their entire car, SUV, etc., I have only done the entire front. The choices are many and all yours to decide.

Should last, depend on brand, more than 5 yrs easily without any issues.

I just wash it with waterless wash, but others use any carwash detergent. I do not take it carwashes.

I've had work done by Xtreme Auto Details and Exotic Vehicle Wrap in No VA. Both good, but there are many others in our area.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 03:58 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:

Thanks.

I PPFed my entire car. Reason being is that from my other cars I've owned, rock chips tend to appear on weird places on the car, rear fender, top of the hood, doors, door handle. Also I've seen some posts where if someone keyed a PPF car, it doesn't leave that much damage.

This is not my car but what I found from a google search.

My PPF is currently at 5 years old. It's expected to last 10 years (or warrantied for 10 years). It still looks almost as it did brand new. There is no yellowing or discoloration. I wax and clay my PPF so I am not sure how much of the original hydrophobic properties is left lol. I have XPEL Black on my roof and LLumar Platinum on the rest of the body. Between the two, XPEL is more orange peel like and LLumar is smoother. It's not dramatically different but you can tell between the two.

My upkeep of my PPF is I just wash it normally. I don't use a 2-bucket method properly and I just use one bucket for body and one bucket for wheels lol. Swirl marks are minimal if any.

I've ran it in an auto wash like twice because I didn't have time to wash the car and there's no lifting or anything like that.

I daily drive my car as well, so it does get baked in the parking lot, gets rained on, gets bugs and dust and whatever nature throws at it. It's got over 50K miles on it and it still looks good. It's still glossier than any other white car I park next to except a Ceramic Coated car or another PPF car -- then it's almost the same.

My only thing is that my car is white and when PPF gets bunched up due to a rock hitting it or debris, it leaves like a black/grey little marks and I have quite a few of these on the front bumper, hood, front fenders, rear fenders, and side skirts. PPF is not impenetrable as I do see little cuts in the film from rocks and debris. Also, the area that has been hit the most is the side skirts #1 and front bumper #2. I also have PPF on my head lights and I do not have any hazing, but I can see bunched off PPF due to debris hitting it. No amount of heat or hot water would heal it once it reaches that point. Heat and Hot Water really only works on light scratches and swirl marks.

I do feel more at ease when I drive it since I'm not as worried about rock chips and stuff while driving around.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
ppointer750.00
      05-13-2024, 05:26 PM   #5
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I recommend Raja @ Speed & Tech if you’re willing to drive to Ashburn. Best in the area and customer service is fantastic! They have a shop thread in the G80 section.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1879305
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 07:05 PM   #6
gsx-lex
Rep

Exactly what I was looking for. Why did you change the type of PPF on the roof vs rest of body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I PPFed my entire car. Reason being is that from my other cars I've owned, rock chips tend to appear on weird places on the car, rear fender, top of the hood, doors, door handle. Also I've seen some posts where if someone keyed a PPF car, it doesn't leave that much damage.

This is not my car but what I found from a google search.

My PPF is currently at 5 years old. It's expected to last 10 years (or warrantied for 10 years). It still looks almost as it did brand new. There is no yellowing or discoloration. I wax and clay my PPF so I am not sure how much of the original hydrophobic properties is left lol. I have XPEL Black on my roof and LLumar Platinum on the rest of the body. Between the two, XPEL is more orange peel like and LLumar is smoother. It's not dramatically different but you can tell between the two.

My upkeep of my PPF is I just wash it normally. I don't use a 2-bucket method properly and I just use one bucket for body and one bucket for wheels lol. Swirl marks are minimal if any.

I've ran it in an auto wash like twice because I didn't have time to wash the car and there's no lifting or anything like that.

I daily drive my car as well, so it does get baked in the parking lot, gets rained on, gets bugs and dust and whatever nature throws at it. It's got over 50K miles on it and it still looks good. It's still glossier than any other white car I park next to except a Ceramic Coated car or another PPF car -- then it's almost the same.

My only thing is that my car is white and when PPF gets bunched up due to a rock hitting it or debris, it leaves like a black/grey little marks and I have quite a few of these on the front bumper, hood, front fenders, rear fenders, and side skirts. PPF is not impenetrable as I do see little cuts in the film from rocks and debris. Also, the area that has been hit the most is the side skirts #1 and front bumper #2. I also have PPF on my head lights and I do not have any hazing, but I can see bunched off PPF due to debris hitting it. No amount of heat or hot water would heal it once it reaches that point. Heat and Hot Water really only works on light scratches and swirl marks.

I do feel more at ease when I drive it since I'm not as worried about rock chips and stuff while driving around.
      05-13-2024, 07:07 PM   #7
gsx-lex
Rep

I don't mind driving to Ashburn for good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I recommend Raja @ Speed & Tech if you’re willing to drive to Ashburn. Best in the area and customer service is fantastic! They have a shop thread in the G80 section.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1879305
      05-13-2024, 07:34 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Exactly what I was looking for. Why did you change the type of PPF on the roof vs rest of body?
I have a sunroof/moonroof so my roof is white and I thought it looked off on an M car. Originally, I vinyl wrapped my roof but that only lasts 2 years max. I replaced it with XPEL Black which is just black PPF instead of clear. The price difference between Vinyl and PPF is about ~200 for the roof. If black PPF existed at the time (2019), I would have done black PPF since that is also warrantied for 10 years.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 06:21 PM   #9
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Does anyone use Gyeon's line of products specific for PPF car washing and maintenance? I've been reading up on PPF maintenance and it seems opinions are across the board. Clay vs don't clay vs only use fine clay. Indirect application for iron removal vs direct spray for iron removal.

I get that the film is, generically, a plastic film so certain chemicals and application techniques can be bad. A lot of what I'm seeing is also just common sense for even non-PPF vehicles.
      05-14-2024, 08:50 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Does anyone use Gyeon's line of products specific for PPF car washing and maintenance? I've been reading up on PPF maintenance and it seems opinions are across the board. Clay vs don't clay vs only use fine clay. Indirect application for iron removal vs direct spray for iron removal.

I get that the film is, generically, a plastic film so certain chemicals and application techniques can be bad. A lot of what I'm seeing is also just common sense for even non-PPF vehicles.
I don’t. I just wash my car with whatever Car Wash Soap Costco is carrying at the time lol. I do clay my car with Mothers clay kit and then just apply spray wax (Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution) over it.

PPF is supposed to be something that can take abuse and not something that should be out on a pedestal lol. I am literally abusing the snot out of my PPF and I’m sold on the product and I would 100% PPF my entire next car(s). The film I’m going to choose is the one with the thickest material which is from Suntek/Llumar which is now 11.5mils. Mine is only 6mils I believe. PPF tech has been changing a lot for the last 5 years and they come in color now too.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 06:58 PM   #11
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

AAPP in Rockville has many happy BMW club customers.
https://www.aapaintprotection.com/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0