BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2 Problems and not even 3000 miles

04-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
M550ix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive

2 Problems and not even 3000 miles

I just picked up a 2018 M550i Xdrive. I love my car but am having either 2 distinct issues or 1 issue causing the other.

The first is happening over 80 MPH and gets progressively worse and more pronounced as the speed goes up. The car feels, for lack of a better term, loose. Not planted. And if I am making a lane change the car seems to continue in the direction of the change and takes a minor steering correction to bring it back center. I guess floaty is a good word but not like an old Cadillac. In any case, I have driven plenty of cars (none a BMW) over 80 MPH and none ever felt disconnected like this car. And in all of those previous cases been able to do it one handed. This car there is no way I am taking either hand off the steering wheel over 90 at 100 it's a 2 handed death grip. If it's nature of the beast (which I doubt) it's very disappointing for such a performance oriented car.

The other is the Lane Control Assist/Traffic Jam Assist and this would apply to any BMW using this feature really. It doesn't keep the car centered in the lane. I've read the manual and spoken to the guru line. When the lane keep assist is activated and the lines and steering wheel picture are green the car should stay centered in the lane. Mine is not centered and drives kinda drunk. Coming into or out of a turn it will hug the left or the right and bounce back and forth between white lines as opposed to staying centered. With traffic Jam set when resuming it will make a dramatic move left or right, then center and as speed climbs it does the same thing described as driving drunk earlier. Please do not start a philosophical debate about using this feature in this kind of car. I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing either of these issues with the same or similar car.

One of my thoughts is that issue one may be causing issue 2 although it's rare that when the cruise is set that the car is at or exceeding 80 MPH. But it is possible the car is reacting to whatever issue one is but I just can't feel it under 80.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I think it's software as the steering and LA Keep are electric, I think the car needs a re-boot new software updated.
It would also need the front suspension/steering checked NOW.Don't wait.
      04-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Can't speak to Lane Assist but the "floatiness" at speed sounds weird. Can't say I've gone 100 yet but at 80 it feels superb.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

re the lane assist.
Its not perfect but ok once you know it limitations.
I wouldn't describe it as bouncing between the lanes but certainly I can do a better job myself. It has a bias to the left hand side of the lane as well (not sure if that's a UK specific trait or not)
Once you've used it for a while you will get to know what it's best at and what situations you need to be on guard and perhaps nudge it in the right direction ie turn offs where it may pick up on the lane leading away and follow that.

Re TJA, If the lane lines are not green but you have a green steering wheel symbol that means it has locked on to the car ahead. So as long as the car ahead is going where you want to go, it should be fine.Seem ok up to around 30 mph or so, haven't tried any fast than that (and I guess if you are going faster than that , its not a traffic jam!) . I find TJA the better aspect of driving assistant plus in my opinion, more foolproof and arguably more useful.

BMW may revise the software at some point and improve it, we'll have to see if newer cars are any better.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
M550ix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I think it's software as the steering and LA Keep are electric, I think the car needs a re-boot new software updated.
It would also need the front suspension/steering checked NOW.Don't wait.
Agreed, however I did not mention that it's already been to the dealer twice. Once because the one touch sunshade feature and one touch moon roof open feature was not working. This was determined to be a setup issue and a reset has been done once.

The second time was for these two issues, they checked the alignment, swapped tires and wheels and flashed the camera software. Said everything checked out and was working fine. I got the car back yesterday and it's the same as when I brought it in.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

my 530e feels totally planted at high speeds. One hand gently on the steering wheel is all I need.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
re the lane assist.
Its not perfect but ok once you know it limitations.
I wouldn't describe it as bouncing between the lanes but certainly I can do a better job myself. It has a bias to the left hand side of the lane as well (not sure if that's a UK specific trait or not)
Once you've used it for a while you will get to know what it's best at and what situations you need to be on guard and perhaps nudge it in the right direction ie turn offs where it may pick up on the lane leading away and follow that.

Re TJA, If the lane lines are not green but you have a green steering wheel symbol that means it has locked on to the car ahead. So as long as the car ahead is going where you want to go, it should be fine.Seem ok up to around 30 mph or so, haven't tried any fast than that (and I guess if you are going faster than that , its not a traffic jam!) . I find TJA the better aspect of driving assistant plus in my opinion, more foolproof and arguably more useful.

BMW may revise the software at some point and improve it, we'll have to see if newer cars are any better.
TJA works up to 43mph. That's the limit at which it turns into LKA and requires lane markings.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

+1 on issue no 2. I canīt even use it. It gets worse the wider the road is. Just like youīre writing, itīs like drunk driving... No center at all... Impossible to use for me I will check with my dealer if there is a SW update.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
LKA works without bouncing between lines for me. I think you'll need to get your system recalibrated. Ultimately G30 is a Level 2 semi-autonomous system thus it has its own limitations. As the manual states, it can only take bends of a certain radius.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Bit of a wild card here, have the transit suspension blocks been removed correctly?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M550ix View Post
I just picked up a 2018 M550i Xdrive. I love my car but am having either 2 distinct issues or 1 issue causing the other.

The first is happening over 80 MPH and gets progressively worse and more pronounced as the speed goes up. The car feels, for lack of a better term, loose. Not planted. And if I am making a lane change the car seems to continue in the direction of the change and takes a minor steering correction to bring it back center. I guess floaty is a good word but not like an old Cadillac. In any case, I have driven plenty of cars (none a BMW) over 80 MPH and none ever felt disconnected like this car. And in all of those previous cases been able to do it one handed. This car there is no way I am taking either hand off the steering wheel over 90 at 100 it's a 2 handed death grip. If it's nature of the beast (which I doubt) it's very disappointing for such a performance oriented car.

The other is the Lane Control Assist/Traffic Jam Assist and this would apply to any BMW using this feature really. It doesn't keep the car centered in the lane. I've read the manual and spoken to the guru line. When the lane keep assist is activated and the lines and steering wheel picture are green the car should stay centered in the lane. Mine is not centered and drives kinda drunk. Coming into or out of a turn it will hug the left or the right and bounce back and forth between white lines as opposed to staying centered. With traffic Jam set when resuming it will make a dramatic move left or right, then center and as speed climbs it does the same thing described as driving drunk earlier. Please do not start a philosophical debate about using this feature in this kind of car. I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing either of these issues with the same or similar car.

One of my thoughts is that issue one may be causing issue 2 although it's rare that when the cruise is set that the car is at or exceeding 80 MPH. But it is possible the car is reacting to whatever issue one is but I just can't feel it under 80.
If I recall correctly, the lane keeping assist needs a "warm up" period of a few hundred miles before it is fully functional. I'm not sure, but maybe your software reset then reset this "warm up" period.

For my part, I've noted that Lane Keeping seems to do a better job as it gets more experience. This could be entirely MY adaptation to the system.

Like you, I have found Lane Keeping to generate the feeling that the car is biased to the passenger side of the lane. But I think this feeling is based on the fact that we, as human drivers, have a tendency to bias the car toward the driver side of the lane. To an external observer, the car is probably centered.

Here's my thinking: Our perception of how Lane Keeping is driving the car will feel passenger side biased because we (as human drivers) bias the car to the driver side of the lane. For me, this perception is amplified on multi-lane highways when passing. Consider the M550i when it passes a human driver (a "normal" pass, or the car being passed is on the passenger side). If Lane Keeping is engaged the M550i will be closer to the passenger side of its lane than how I/we would drive. The car being passed, being driven by a human, will be biased to the driver side of its lane. This means (objectively) that the vehicles are closer together during passing than when two human drivers are piloting. Make sense?

Regarding the turning, I too have found that Lane Keeping takes a more outside line than I would (and most humans will). For a curve to the passenger side this probably feels "more safe." For a curve to the driver side this probably feels "less safe." I believe the cause of this perception is, as described above, the Lane Keeping just being different than what we are used to when we drive.

That said, I have found Lane Keeping to bounce off of the opposite lane marker after a highway turn. I have taken to intervening before this occurs.

I have personally found Lane Keeping and Stop and Go to be wonderful. But it did take some adjustment on my end. I hope you are able to get the issues sorted out and find "happy place" with the self driving...I think it is one of the more exciting features of my car!
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      04-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
My 530e feels very planted whether on a straight line or going on a curve.
      05-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #13
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

One of the reasons for driving a BMW (and other German cars) is that they are designed to handle high speed driving on autobahns...

All the BMWs I've had are fantastic on motorways and have never felt floaty. Here in the UK, the exits from the M25 motorway onto the M3 and M4 motorways are nice, fast, geometrically precise roads to check handling and BMWs show their capability on them! No floating, minimal roll, great grip and feedback; even controlling your line with the throttle...

Maybe get an independent to check the alignment and suspension, etc. Doesn't sound right at all.
Appreciate 0