BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2017 530i X-Drvie vibration under braking

07-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
thadoggfatha
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5

2017 530i X-Drvie vibration under braking

Hey everyone,

So I have noticed that my car was vibrating heavily while driving at highway speeds. I went into the tire pressure settings of the iDrive and noticed that the wrong size tire was entered. After adjusting to the to the recommended tire pressure(41PSI-rear 35PSI-front) I still noticed vibration but no where near where it was. I gave my local dealership a call and they recommended that I lower the tire pressure to 35PSI-rear and 33PSI-front. My tires are "All season tires (Continental ProContact 245/40 R19 98H M/S)". I also want to make sure that its okay to run the tire pressure lower than the recommended in iDrive.

So after making the adjustment as per the dealer recommendation I do not feel the vibration nearly as bad but still am noticing the car shake when coming to a stop. This seems to be an issue when I am specifically braking in city driving. Has anyone noticed this or is experiencing the same thing?

Any ideas on what the culprit can be as i want to rule out any small things before making a trip to the dealer. I know for the 3 series warped rotors are a known issue but I dont know if that is the case here.

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I am in the UK, the 540i M Sport recommended TPI is 38/40 PSI all round, which I have set, no problems at all.
I think you have a wheels balance problem or Brake disk run-out (warping) it needs checking, my car is driven quickly and at speed all the time.Never had a problem as yet, good luck.
      07-19-2018, 04:52 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfatha View Post
Hey everyone,

So I have noticed that my car was vibrating heavily while driving at highway speeds. I went into the tire pressure settings of the iDrive and noticed that the wrong size tire was entered. After adjusting to the to the recommended tire pressure(41PSI-rear 35PSI-front) I still noticed vibration but no where near where it was. I gave my local dealership a call and they recommended that I lower the tire pressure to 35PSI-rear and 33PSI-front. My tires are "All season tires (Continental ProContact 245/40 R19 98H M/S)". I also want to make sure that its okay to run the tire pressure lower than the recommended in iDrive.

So after making the adjustment as per the dealer recommendation I do not feel the vibration nearly as bad but still am noticing the car shake when coming to a stop. This seems to be an issue when I am specifically braking in city driving. Has anyone noticed this or is experiencing the same thing?

Any ideas on what the culprit can be as i want to rule out any small things before making a trip to the dealer. I know for the 3 series warped rotors are a known issue but I dont know if that is the case here.

Thanks for any help
If it was just while braking, I'd suspect brakes. BTW, it is more often material transfer than warped discs/rotors.

But you mention vibration while driving at highway speeds, which is more likely wheel/tire related. The fact pressures do make a slight difference indicates it is likely tires. Are you sure you haven't damaged a tire or rim? The vibrations can show at speed and while braking.

Wheel balance doesn't normally show on braking to a halt. Distorted / damaged tires can sometimes be felt during braking.
Appreciate 0