BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Auto park and backup

08-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
phillyheat1
phillyheat1
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 740i xdrive

Auto park and backup

I read that my 2019, 540i can park and back out of a space without driver assistance if that is true how do I access the commands to make it happen?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:03 AM   #2
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Do you have the touch screen remote?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 04:42 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Is that the reverse assist or whatever it's called that I think was added when the LCI came out. In essence backs up the track it's just covered

Or do you mean where the car drives forward out of a tight space . For that you need the hardware and the display key.

2019 is pre LCI so I don't think it'll be on your car
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Is that the reverse assist or whatever it's called that I think was added when the LCI came out. In essence backs up the track it's just covered

Or do you mean where the car drives forward out of a tight space . For that you need the hardware and the display key.

2019 is pre LCI so I don't think it'll be on your car
My 2019 has the park assist, which I believe from what I've read, will park the car in a parallel spot. I haven't used it yet as I'm unsure how. I know it's in the OM, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      08-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My 2019 has the park assist, which I believe from what I've read, will park the car in a parallel spot. I haven't used it yet as I'm unsure how. I know it's in the OM, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
As I recall, when you put the car in reverse and the screen changes with the camera views and all that, there's a checkbox for automated parking.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
BlueStreak2018
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i 2018

Garage List
2018 BMW 530i  [0.00]
This is on my 2018 530i, may be different for other years:

I don't have the LCD remote so don't know what additional parking feature is included with that but I have auto parking and here are the steps I go through to use it

1) When I get to a row or column of cars with parking spaces in between I press the parking button on the console, lit in green in the photo below

You can set this to happen automatically when you slow down moving by cars but I find that annoying sometimes so I initiate manually.

2) As you move along the cars and spaces the radar will identify a suitable space and you will hear a sound at which time if you wish to take that space you will STOP, or if you dont like that spot just keep moving for another space to be recognized.

3) After you stop you must use the indicate to confirm which side of the car, left or right is the parking space you are to park in

4) It may ask you to also state if you want to parallel park or park perpendicularly (you likely get this if there are seveal empty perpendicular spaces next to each other). Choose the appropriate orientation

5) Say ok to any warning prompts put your foot on the break, at the same time using your finger press and hold down the auto parking button on the console (same button as step 1)

6) Holding the parking button down release the break, if you have done everything correctly the car will start parking itself. The whole time it is doing that you are holding down the parking button. If you release it the car will stop and cancel the whole operation.

It is a cool feature but to be honest I use it as a novelty factor, often there are cars behind me waiting to pass and it takes too long so I just park manually.
Appreciate 3
Marsh5012.00
540iSUP703.00
      02-08-2023, 10:51 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak2018 View Post
This is on my 2018 530i, may be different for other years:

I don't have the LCD remote so don't know what additional parking feature is included with that but I have auto parking and here are the steps I go through to use it

1) When I get to a row or column of cars with parking spaces in between I press the parking button on the console, lit in green in the photo below

You can set this to happen automatically when you slow down moving by cars but I find that annoying sometimes so I initiate manually.

2) As you move along the cars and spaces the radar will identify a suitable space and you will hear a sound at which time if you wish to take that space you will STOP, or if you dont like that spot just keep moving for another space to be recognized.

3) After you stop you must use the indicate to confirm which side of the car, left or right is the parking space you are to park in

4) It may ask you to also state if you want to parallel park or park perpendicularly (you likely get this if there are seveal empty perpendicular spaces next to each other). Choose the appropriate orientation

5) Say ok to any warning prompts put your foot on the break, at the same time using your finger press and hold down the auto parking button on the console (same button as step 1)

6) Holding the parking button down release the break, if you have done everything correctly the car will start parking itself. The whole time it is doing that you are holding down the parking button. If you release it the car will stop and cancel the whole operation.

It is a cool feature but to be honest I use it as a novelty factor, often there are cars behind me waiting to pass and it takes too long so I just park manually.
I wondered how this works. I've had the car just over a year and have never used this function.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 04:20 AM   #8
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have 2 cars with this and have never used it once. Maybe tomorrow. It is good enough I don’t Jane to worry about it curbing the rim?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #9
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I wondered how this works. I've had the car just over a year and have never used this function.
Same here. Never used it though I love all the cameras.

Parallel parking is like driving a manual; a skill that once learned should never be forgotten.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 06:38 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I have 2 cars with this and have never used it once. Maybe tomorrow. It is good enough I don’t Jane to worry about it curbing the rim?
It doesn’t sense curbs and instead it aligns with the cars in front and behind. I haven’t had it damage wheels on the curb the times I’ve tried it, but you do have to keep an eye on it if you think it will curb.

The feature works OK and can get into some fairly tight spots if you’re not too poorly aligned next to the car you’re going to be parking behind. If it also saw the spot and you decided halfway through parking it yourself that you want to let it do it you can.

I’ve used it a decent amount in South Philly which is a challenging parallel parking environment to fully test the feature. My wife hates parallel parking, but we almost crashed a Toyota using theirs on a test drive so she didn’t trust the BMW one until I tested in every condition. Smallest space I had it get into had less than half a foot between the car bumper for the car in front and behind. I was pretty surprised by it.

It worked well enough for me to give it a stamp of approval (not that that matters to anyone, but my wife ). My only negative of the feature is it can be a little slow in how fast it parks (but makes sense as you need to monitor).

I have never had it hit anything no matter how challenging of a scenario I have given it. If it can’t get the job done due to a challenging scenario it will let you know and cancel the process on its own.

When I ordered my car, you couldn’t get 360 cameras without the feature. I’d say the 360 cameras are absolutely not negotiable…
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 10:17 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
It doesn’t sense curbs and instead it aligns with the cars in front and behind. I haven’t had it damage wheels on the curb the times I’ve tried it, but you do have to keep an eye on it if you think it will curb.

The feature works OK and can get into some fairly tight spots if you’re not too poorly aligned next to the car you’re going to be parking behind. If it also saw the spot and you decided halfway through parking it yourself that you want to let it do it you can.

I’ve used it a decent amount in South Philly which is a challenging parallel parking environment to fully test the feature. My wife hates parallel parking, but we almost crashed a Toyota using theirs on a test drive so she didn’t trust the BMW one until I tested in every condition. Smallest space I had it get into had less than half a foot between the car bumper for the car in front and behind. I was pretty surprised by it.

It worked well enough for me to give it a stamp of approval (not that that matters to anyone, but my wife ). My only negative of the feature is it can be a little slow in how fast it parks (but makes sense as you need to monitor).

I have never had it hit anything no matter how challenging of a scenario I have given it. If it can’t get the job done due to a challenging scenario it will let you know and cancel the process on its own.

When I ordered my car, you couldn’t get 360 cameras without the feature. I’d say the 360 cameras are absolutely not negotiable…
I'll have to visit the "genius" and have them show me how it works.
Appreciate 0