BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 issues?

07-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #89
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

My take on the radio not turning off consistently is that it works like this:

Push button once to turn car engine off. Whatever media is playing (radio, iphone, etc) will remain on until both driver and passenger get out of the car and shut their doors. Don't think this works with rear passengers since I assume it's using the side passenger seat weight detection to determine that someone is still inside.

Push button once to turn car engine off. Wait a second and push button again. Media will turn off when car door is opened.

If you push the button twice very quickly, the system will recognize it as a single push (i.e. media will remain playing when door is opened).
2006 330i
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #90
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

One annoying issue I'm having is that the climate control never seems to "stick" from the last time you enter the car. I always set it to around 67 or 68, on Auto, with fan about two or three notches from the left.

Every time I exit the vehicle and come back in, it's always set to something different. Usually at 72, auto OFF, and fan all the way to the lowest setting.

Wife experiences the same thing.

It should be remembering the last setting based on the key fob, right?
2006 330i
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #91
Boba
Rep
Drives: 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post

Push button once to turn car engine off. Whatever media is playing (radio, iphone, etc) will remain on until both driver and passenger get out of the car and shut their doors. Don't think this works with rear passengers since I assume it's using the side passenger seat weight detection to determine that someone is still inside.
Yes, I think it SHOULD work like that, but mine doesn't. Sometimes shuts off when I'm alone and exit, sometimes not. Sometimes shuts down when both of us are in the car and exit, and sometimes not. The only consistent thing is that it always shuts down when the car is locked (luckily ;o) ).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #92
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richukbmw5 View Post
Sadly only had my car 1 week and already someone has dented my rear bumper, had to replace a front tyre because of a nail and the dealer called me for a recall to replace the cam shaft sensor. Not a great 1st week! BMW 530e m sport.

It's a 2 day job at the dealership for the cam shaft sensor.
2 day job is probably because they are ordering the part in. Mine was replaced in a day as I asked them to make sure they had the part in the day before. Hope all is well now and you enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #93
Richukbmw5
England
Rep
Drives: BMW g30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy530 View Post
Quote:
Sadly only had my car 1 week and already someone has dented my rear bumper, had to replace a front tyre because of a nail and the dealer called me for a recall to replace the cam shaft sensor. Not a great 1st week! BMW 530e m sport.

2 day job is probably because they are ordering the part in. Mine was replaced in a day as I asked them to make sure they had the part in the day before. Hope all is well now and you enjoy the car.
Picked up my car today and as I expected I cant tell anything has changed. It was a tough 1st week but the car is fantastic. Extremely relaxing and economical to drive. Just got to make sure I charge at the end of each trip.

I've got the 3 month free membership for polar plus and I think it's worth keeping it. For Just £8 a month It pays for itself over 10 full charges a month.

I have noticed the rear end does like to skip over bumps! I'm on 20" Pirelli runflats with standard suspension.
      07-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #94
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy530 View Post
Quote:

Picked up my car today and as I expected I cant tell anything has changed. It was a tough 1st week but the car is fantastic. Extremely relaxing and economical to drive. Just got to make sure I charge at the end of each trip.

I've got the 3 month free membership for polar plus and I think it's worth keeping it. For Just £8 a month It pays for itself over 10 full charges a month.

I have noticed the rear end does like to skip over bumps! I'm on 20" Pirelli runflats with standard suspension.
I've got a 530d SE, so seems the crank shaft sensor issue is not specific to petrol or diesel engines. Like you nothing has changed in terms of driving but I experienced the issues of stuttering twice in the motorway which is a a symptom of the fault, you may have read in previous posts above.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #95
Cb116
Rep
Drives: M4

Sounds good not to many issues with any of them other than a rattle here no there. My lease is up on my M4 and with the family growing looking to get into more of a family sedan and the 5's are so sweet inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #96
540StealthBomber
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i M Sport

Hello! Newbie, first posting!
I am a late convert to BMW and I now own a Sophistico Grey 540i X Drive M Sport.
I'm looking for some advice/reassurance if anyone owns similar - or indeed a 340/440/140 etc with the same engine.
On accelleration (with the window down!) I notice a slight rattle/chatter coming from the engine. I spoke to the dealer and they said its normal, apparently the wastegate. Its 'noticeable' on initial acceleration, but once over 2000rpm(ish) it goes off. Likewise, if stationary and its revved, its initially noticeable, but not at higher rpm. Its not exactly loud, I've just noticed it!
I don't know if I'm being pedantic and worrying over nothing; I had an F10 535d last and the diesel was slightly more noisy than the petrol. Am I just noticing it as the engine itself is quieter?
I do miss the torque of the diesel, but apart from that, no comparison. The G30 is a major leap forward from the F10, which was a fine vehicle!!
Any advice would be appreciated, if nothing else to back up what the BMW tech said.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #97
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540StealthBomber View Post
Hello! Newbie, first posting!
I am a late convert to BMW and I now own a Sophistico Grey 540i X Drive M Sport.
I'm looking for some advice/reassurance if anyone owns similar - or indeed a 340/440/140 etc with the same engine.
On accelleration (with the window down!) I notice a slight rattle/chatter coming from the engine. I spoke to the dealer and they said its normal, apparently the wastegate. Its 'noticeable' on initial acceleration, but once over 2000rpm(ish) it goes off. Likewise, if stationary and its revved, its initially noticeable, but not at higher rpm. Its not exactly loud, I've just noticed it!
I don't know if I'm being pedantic and worrying over nothing; I had an F10 535d last and the diesel was slightly more noisy than the petrol. Am I just noticing it as the engine itself is quieter?
I do miss the torque of the diesel, but apart from that, no comparison. The G30 is a major leap forward from the F10, which was a fine vehicle!!
Any advice would be appreciated, if nothing else to back up what the BMW tech said.
Can you drive another one from the dealer and see if you hear the same noise during acceleration?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #98
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post

Yes, I think it SHOULD work like that, but mine doesn't. Sometimes shuts off when I'm alone and exit, sometimes not. Sometimes shuts down when both of us are in the car and exit, and sometimes not. The only consistent thing is that it always shuts down when the car is locked (luckily ;o) ).
If you keep your foot on the brake when turning off the engine everything will go off as soon as you open your door. Otherwise radio etc will remain on until you lock the car.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #99
jwenga
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I was running the AC while it was hot out, so expect cool air everywhere, but the footwell was pushing out warm air

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin, which means the issue has been reported and is known by BMW, and they have fixes/corrective actions for the dealership to follow. The rear camera for example states there is a software compatibility issue between iDrive and the camera, that replacing parts will not help, that trying to reproduce it is near impossible, and the fix is to just update the software. Helps the dealer not waste time trying to come up with their own fix.
can you point me to the TSB?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #100
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenga View Post
can you point me to the TSB?
Sorry, I don't have it anymore. I paid the access fee, printed out what I needed and then tossed them I got my car back.
      08-08-2018, 01:13 AM   #101
leomessi1985
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw g30

Hello. I am buying a g30,i will get it the day after tomorow,i have only one problem with it..It has M Sport package outside and inside,the only problem is that there are door sills with BMW name on it,it should be M logo or? I called every dealer in our country and they said it should be M logo. The car is from spanish market,maybe there is different? I am just scared that the car was damaged from the side and they didnt get m logo sills and they replace all four with basic BMW sills..Can anyone help me?

Vin number: WBAJC31060G996047
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 03:15 AM   #102
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
From this website: https://www.bmwvin.com/ I got this.

I can't see anything about sill logos, so maybe it was fitted afterwards....

VIN WBAJC31060G996047

Type Code JC31

E Series G30 ()

Series 5

Type LIM

Model 520D (EUR)

Steering LL

Doors 4

Engine B47O

Displacement 2.00

Power 140

Drive HECK

Transmission AUT

Colour BLUESTONE METALLIC (C2Y)

Upholstery LED.DAK./SCHWARZ EXK./KEDER IN KONT (LCFK)

Prod. Date 2017-09-11

Available upgrades
Rear view camera Check compatibility

Spare/replacement key fob Check compatibility

Smartphone mirroring Check compatibility

Additional iDrive features Check compatibility

Premium speaker upgrade Check compatibility

Vehicle options
P337A M Sports package

S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles

S1CBA CO2 package

S21NA BMW LA wheel M Double-Spoke 662

S230A Extra package, EU-specific

S258A Tire with run-flat functionality

S2PAA Wheel bolt retainer

S2TEA Automatic transmission w/ shift paddles

S2VBA Tire pressure display

S302A Alarm system

S316A automatic trunk lid mechanism

S322A Comfort access

S3DSA BMW Display key

S420A Sun protection glazing

S423A Floor mats, velours

S441A Smoker package

S465A Through-loading system

S481A Sports seat

S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger

S4K7A Interior trim alu.rhomb.w.accent strip

S4T8A Outside mirror with auto dip

S4URA Ambient interior lighting

S534A Automatic air conditioning

S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer

S5A1A LED Fog lights

S5ACA High-beam assistant

S5AVA Active Guard

S5DFA Active cruise control+Stop&Go function

S5DNA Parking assistance system Plus

S609A Navigation system Professional

S610A Head-up display

S650A CD player

S6ACA Intelligent emergency SOS call

S6AEA Teleservices

S6AKA Connected Drive Services

S6AMA Real-Time Traffic Information

S6ANA Concierge Services

S6APA Remote Services

S6NWA Phoning with wireless charging

S6U8A BMW Gesture Recognition

S6WBA Multifunctional instrument display

S6WDA WLAN Hotspot

S704A M Sports suspension

S710A M leather steering wheel

S715A M Aerodynamics package

S760A High gloss shadow line

S775A Headlining anthracite

S7CGA BMW Repair Inclusive

S856A Language version Spanish

S883A On-board vehicle literature Spanish

S8KAA Dummy-SALAPA

S8R9A Refrigerant R1234yf

S8S3A Automatic locking when driving off

S8TFA Active pedestrian protection
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 03:17 AM   #103
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
I have just entered my own vin, as I have ordered those sill logos, and this is the code:

S778A Entrance strips "BMW Individual"
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #104
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Has anyone with the rear camera issue encountered problems after it was fixed? All was well since my visit and the software upgrade, but yesterday I was once again greeted with a blank area in iDrive where the back-up cam should have been. The car thought it was on, as it had the space for it (you know when it's on because the screen real estate is split between PDC and camera, vs. PDC only when it takes up the entire screen) and the option was checked, but nada video.
      08-24-2018, 01:50 AM   #105
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

Quote:

Hi Rich,
I've noticed the same on a 170 mile round trip yesterday, in both Adaptive and Sport modes. Is this expected as I thought in comfort/adaptive it was praised and being very composed over bumps, etc...

Past: 2013 BMW 320D GT, Luxury Line, Metallic Silver Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Adaptive Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:05 AM   #106
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think the skipping is a run flat tyre trait. I've noticed as well on a corner. Same for my previous f10 on rifts as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #107
Ghanziang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 3.5i Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
I get the no video on backup camera about once every two weeks. If I go back into park, then reverse again it comes back. Really weird when it doesn't show up.

G.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #108
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanziang View Post
I get the no video on backup camera about once every two weeks. If I go back into park, then reverse again it comes back. Really weird when it doesn't show up.

G.
Have you taken it in for the software fix? Mine was fine for several months; has only recurred once (when I posted).
      08-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #109
nyc_alex
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

This seems like a software thing, but when I enter my car the steering wheel doesn't always move into the right position. It always works with the electric control when I use it, but sometimes when I get in it just moves an inch down and stops, not going all the way to the preset position unless I press the preset button again.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #110
DeltaOne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i Sport Line Pkg

Trip Info - MPG and Average Speed

I got my 530i a week ago and I'm really loving it, except for one thing which is really bothering me. My MPG and Average Speed information seems to be way off for some reason. For example, it says I'm running 14 mpg on average, which is kind of ridiculous, when it's supposed to be 24 city / 34 highway. I drive in Comfort mode all the time and I don't do anything unusual, so I don't understand this. I did fill up my gas for the first time(premium), reset the MPG/Average Speed info, and started driving again, but it keeps telling me 14 mpg... 17 mpg at the most(rarely says it). Anyone know what the problem might be?
Appreciate 0