BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches When is the rolex bubble going to pop?

06-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #67
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
The demand and secondary markets for Rolexes have been steadily increasing since 1957 and sharply increased in the last 4 years with most steel sports now getting at least $15,000 (more like $17,000), so getting near double MSRP. People buying a $15,000 watch aren't hesitating due to a $400 watch.

More importantly, Apple watches are ridiculous.
Our generation would agree with you. The 20 and 30 somethings would not.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #68
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Sure hope the value remains in watches. Smart watches have their place on boys not men.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #69
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracka View Post
agree jubilee is a bit too flashy for a tool watch
While a Rolex is as durable as it's ever been, you're in denial if you think any Rolex even with a brushed oyster bracelet is a tool watch. No one in this new watch world of shortages and inflated values is going out to buy even an Exp 2 specifically to go hiking in the backwoods.

This idea of a tool watch is antiquated and something that some people hold on to from the 50's when there actually and literally wasn't any alternative. While in 1955 a GMT was a "tool watch" for pilots, today it is just as useful but by no means as necessary and definitely not a tool watch. Heck, the PP 5711 is supposed to be Patek's sports watch. Let's see how many people put that watch on to go do tool-y things.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #70
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
youd be amazed.

i sell more to 20 and 30 somethings than I do to older people.

Smart watches are not focused on the watch wearers, and watch companies like rolex could give 2 shits about an apple watch.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #71
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There is no Rolex bubble, there's only Rolex controlled secondary markets where prices will either increase or stay mostly flat since the minute prices start to fall, lots of buyers will jump into the market, even during a recession.

Of course strange things can always happen, but I think we're in a new normal.
exactly.

just look at every sub c or gmt or daytona that get listed for somewhat cheap for their respective markets. They are gone in seconds.

I can go buy a brand new Sub C for 8600 from the AD, and sell immediately for 9500.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #72
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
While a Rolex is as durable as it's ever been, you're in denial if you think any Rolex even with a brushed oyster bracelet is a tool watch. No one in this new watch world of shortages and inflated values is going out to buy even an Exp 2 specifically to go hiking in the backwoods.

This idea of a tool watch is antiquated and something that some people hold on to from the 50's when there actually and literally wasn't any alternative. While in 1955 a GMT was a "tool watch" for pilots, today it is just as useful but by no means as necessary and definitely not a tool watch. Heck, the PP 5711 is supposed to be Patek's sports watch. Let's see how many people put that watch on to go do tool-y things.
just depends on the wearer. I wear my Steel and even Two Tone Rolex doing everything. But my watches I buy to wear. No sense to me having 20-30k worth of watches that arent going to get worn

Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      06-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #73
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
just depends on the wearer. I wear my Steel and even Two Tone Rolex doing everything. But my watches I buy to wear. No sense to me having 20-30k worth of watches that arent going to get worn
I agree. I am wearing my Explorer II right now. I’ll wear my Yatchmaster later in the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #74
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
I agree. I am wearing my Explorer II right now. I’ll wear my Yatchmaster later in the week.
+1

I wear my new Daytona all the time, every chance I can get!
The GMT is getting less wear time, but still is worn when I can.
I even wear my 6263 Daytona PN a fair amount, but that takes a little more planning on my part simply because it's irreplaceable.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #75
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, here's my problem with wearing Rolex these days: Rolexes are primarily a luxury product just like a Louis Vuitton bag ... so CAN i use this bag to hold my diving equipment? Sure. Should I / is it the best diving bag for me? No!

Back in the day, watches like Rolex or Panerai were cool (to me) because they were hardcore tool watches, made out of tough materials so they could take a beating. Better than a g-shock because they were mechanical.

Like back then, if you were gonna go into the bush to kick some ass you wore a Panerai!

But Rolex, Panerai, etc have abandoned the tool watch cool and gone full luxe ... and that's sad because I always loved them - and still love the white-on-black Daytona design!

But ultimately I have to let Rolex go because I'm just not a luxury guy - I like hardcore/cool stuff, not luxe-cool stuff.

Take the Sinn U2: made out of bead-blasted german submarine steel: anti-corrosive, anti-magnetic, 4x harder than a rolex, 5x harder if you get the PVD, beats DIN standards for shock resistance and magnetism, and the UX is depth rated down to the bottom of the trench, no silly helium release necessary.

These days, if you're going into the bush to kick ass you wear Sinn. Cool!

So, yeah, you CAN wear a Rolex, but it's the dumber choice now, which is sad.

Last edited by GrussGott; 06-11-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 4
Gr-Racing205.50
xander_g964.00
      06-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #76
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

ohhhh I like those Sinn
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      06-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #77
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, here's my problem with wearing Rolex these days: Rolexes are primarily a luxury product just like a Louis Vuitton bag ... so CAN i use this bag to hold my diving equipment? Sure. Should I / is it the best diving bag for me? No!

So, yeah, you CAN wear a Rolex, but it's the dumber choice now, which is sad.
solid gold rolex, sure, its gonna get beat up.

but ive been wearing a sports model rolex on a constant rotation for the better part of the last 3-4 years. Same with my omegas.

Do they get scratches? sure, but so do my dress watches that i only wear to formal events. those sinns get scratched up as well, but they are cheaper so maybe you view them as more disposable.

it comes down to what you value and how much it means to keep your items pristine. idc if a watch gets beat up. they can be fixed. Im not buying the watches i wear for the next guy, im buying them for me.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #78
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it comes down to what you value and how much it means to keep your items pristine.
I get you want a luxury product and aren't afraid to beat it up - that's cool. For me it's not about a pristine luxury product, rather what product am I even buying?

We don't need watches, so having a watch is to have jewelry, and all jewelry is worn to send a message.

For me an overbuilt duty-use mechanical watch is a statement of intention just sitting on your dresser. It says, "go diving!" "go climbing!" "hike up that mountain!" Every time I look at it it says, "after this meeting I'm hitting the trails"

So for me it's about choosing the overbuilt duty-use product to fulfill that statement of intention.

Same reason I have an M4
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #79
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yeah, but those 20s & 30s will become 30s and 40s and then Rolex will start looking good to them.

Further, smartwatches will be gone in one more tech cycle just like the bag cell phone

Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      06-13-2019, 05:28 AM   #80
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

buying a smart watch essentially guarantees it will be obsolete within 2 years as tech is so fast.... a 50 year submariner is still the same... people appreciate that and there is something to be said about it
      06-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #81
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post

The Submariner is a tool watch designed by Rolex for divers. Many still use the watch in that capacity. I’m one of those people. It’s not my primary tool for calculating bottom time but it a reliable back up. In a sport/hobby/ job where one can get in serious trouble pretty quick at depth with loss of life a constant concern having redundant tools is paramount. Just like carrying a pony bottle of air if one has a failure in their main tanks. It’s a mandatory tool-y thing that most deep divers utilize be it a Submariner or other brand. I don’t dive without mine.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #82
ASAP
Major General
Rep

sooooo... any new pieces for anyone? I am still rocking my sub from last year... love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #83
m3rock41
Rep
Drives: m3

Rolex is so overplayed and tired. So many fakes out there too. My first thought when is see one is is it real? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #84
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rock41 View Post
Rolex is so overplayed and tired. So many fakes out there too. My first thought when is see one is is it real? Lol.
with the reality of modern social media; I would argue virtually every aspect of life is overplayed... that includes cars, watches, travel, eating out etc...

doesnt mean someone cant still like it...

Ap - ugly
patek - i am not 90 thanks
vacheron - far too niche
panerai - looks like a $5 watch

Rolex - always a safe and classy choice
      07-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #85
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rock41 View Post
Lots of fakes out there and Im sure lots of people see me dressed down wearing a Rolex and think its fake, but it is also a big status symbol to many that signifies to themselves and others that they made it.

As much as I hate Rolex as a company and dont agree with their marketing and supply strategies, I also really enjoy their designs. Not many companies have made designs that have stood up to the changing styles and are so iconic like Rolex has.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #86
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
I typically wear this..

Name:  IMG_5961.jpg
Views: 4787
Size:  279.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #87
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Quote:
I don’t know if this is true. Smart phones and Apple watches have definitely hurt the demand for watches. None of my kids nor their spouses wear a watch. They have zero interest in a Rolex even though they could easily afford one.
I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree. (I'm only 28 myself)

Sure, a lot of young folks wear a smart watch and only that, but most of those are the same folks that would have purchased, say a $100 Citizen, or even a $600 Modavo from Macys, not the same folks who would purchase a Rolex, Omega, Tag, Exc.

I own an Apple Watch as well myself, but I don't view it the same as my Sub or Tag Carrera at all, it's an extension of my phone when wearing one of my other watches isn't practical (working out, doing work outside, Exc).

Just food for thought.
Appreciate 3
DanG10444.00
ASAP10052.50
      07-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #88
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

I'm a relatively big watch-guy (Have about 8-10 in my collection at a given time, currently a few Panerai, Omega, Bell & Ross, Baume & Mercier and some "lower-end" watches like Hamilton and Movado).

I'm not opposed to the Apple Watch, more as a replacement for occasions I'd usually wear a gShock. There are plenty of instances such as when I'm biking, at the beach, hiking, gym etc. all instances that I leave the good stuff at home but sometimes feel a bit "too grown up" to have a gShock on.

Would it stop my watch habit or even slow it down? Hells no. But it's a good casual alternative for those times I really don't want something $2k+ on my wrist or I know it's going to take a beating.

P.S I'm in my early 30s, and I think quite a few of my peers feel the same way.