BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2 weird Occurances this weekend

08-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

2 weird Occurances this weekend

Event #1
Saturday night my wife and I went to a friends house for dinner. I pulled into the driveway and could not find a spot I liked so I backed up out of the driveway to park on the street (I was going slowly). As I was exiting the driveway into the street (apron) the car stopped 100% and suddenly. It caught me totally off guard and although I was looking out the back window I could have sworn I hit something.

I put on the parking brake and put the car in park. I looked under the car and there was nothing. There was no cross traffic either? I think the reverse sensor must have seen the ground as a object and put on the panic break. first time I have ever experienced that. I need to change that sensitivity.

It really jarred my neck and my wife's as well. I was looking over my shoulder and the abrupt stop really hurt the lower left side neck muscle. Still feel it this morning.

Has anyone else had this issue with the panic brake ? Were you able resolve it by adjusting the iDrive settings?

Event #2

Sunday running errands, I get back into my car and start the car. I put on my seatbelt and click the OK screen and then another warning displays. Key Fob not detected in car. Well the car started so It must have detected it right. And it was in my pocket where it was all afternoon that I have been running around with the car.

First time I have seen this, hopefully just a one off occurrence. I started a notes section in my phone dating this weirs stuff so I can tell the dealer the nest time I going for service.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Have a good week.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

What I have noticed is that these new cars with all of this wonderful technology gives us more and more sensors and options and things that can go wrong. Spurious error messages and warnings seem to be a daily occurence with BMWs sometimes. I've gotten to the point where I just don't worry about it until it happens 3 times.

I'm starting to really dislike a lot of these intrusive safety features, seemingly designed for the texters and coffee drinkers and others who consider the act of driving to be a secondary consideration.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Event #1: How steep was the driveway? How fast were you backing up? When I exit my garage I do so very, very slowly as I have a neighbor's wall blocking my view to my right and a hedge that blocks my view to the left. Once I get most of the way out of my driveway I get a clear view in both directions. So I back out very slowly until I can see clearly in both directions.

Nonetheless, I occasionally get a beep indicating that my rear cross traffic sensors have caught something and there usually is something (I am one house away from a cross street so a car turning into my street will not be visible or sensible until just before being at my driveway).

This is a long winded way of explaining why I asked my questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Event 1

Did you receive any audible warning? I wasn't aware auto braking included backing up. I thought rear cross traffic alert was a warning only, but I could be wrong.

Curious if you have Auto Hold enabled? Seems like a stretch, but maybe you were going slow enough that it enabled and stopped the car?

Event 2

Not a new issue. I've had this occasional error on every car I've had with comfort access. It's ultra low power radio, sometimes it just has a hiccup. Click ok and drive on....
      08-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
silberma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
I had one abrupt stop backing out of my garage. Perhaps the car though I was too close to the wall.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Known "feature". The rear sensors are very sensitive and any incline will create a stop. Can be jarring. Best to take rear driveway exits very slowly or offset.

Last edited by ksoze; 08-12-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I had one abrupt stop before but it was legit, kids run out parking lot (I break myself too, but sensor kicked in at the same time)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I've experienced the 2nd event you mentioned probably 2 or 3 times. I'll get into the car and have the key fob in my pocket per normal and a message on the screen pops up saying, "key fob not detected in car".

I just hit 'okay' and everything is fine. Technology will almost always have its bugs, but especially true in this era where technology is rapidly improving and becoming smaller, more efficient, and more interconnected with one another than ever before.

Good idea to make a note in your phone to document the instances. That's what I do as well and it really helps create a timeline and see the bigger picture of things. As long as the bugs/issues don't increase in frequency then I wouldn't worry.

Hopefully you won't experience these events again anytime soon!

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      08-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Event #2

Sunday running errands, I get back into my car and start the car. I put on my seatbelt and click the OK screen and then another warning displays. Key Fob not detected in car. Well the car started so It must have detected it right. And it was in my pocket where it was all afternoon that I have been running around with the car.

First time I have seen this, hopefully just a one off occurrence. I started a notes section in my phone dating this weirs stuff so I can tell the dealer the nest time I going for service.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Have a good week.
You can see from the section from the owners manual below...radio transmissions from other devices (like mobile phones) can interrupt or interfere with the remote key fobs operations. If the interference causes the car not to start...then you hold the remote next to the markings on the steering column.

It looks like you were still able to start...so it was probably some odd interference that probably caused the warning.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
jsf7211105.50
      08-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

I was backing into a parking space in an indoor garage and there were some planks of thin plywood or something on the ground because they were doing some construction. The sensors detected the plywood as an obstacle and slammed the brakes, preventing me from driving over them. I had to disable the intervention function to be able to drive over them.

As far as the Key Fob not detected issue, I have had that occur multiple times with the Key Fob in my pocket. Although the warning came on, the car started up fine and I was able to drive off without any issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

The driveway was not very steep, perhaps a tad more than normal, and there was no audible warning prior to full on dead stop. I was reversing at a slow rate, like one would back out of a spot where you were not sure if a car was approaching(one was not). Before I got to the point where I could see, I got stopped. I do not have auto hold enabled.

Interestingly, when driving forward I get the Red Car if it thinks I am too close to the car in front of me but I have never had the auto brake cut in while driving forward. I had experienced that will my infiniti previously in forward and reverse and I was beginning to wonder if my BMW was set up correctly. Well, reverse auto brake is active, I just need to get the sensor adjusted or set up properly. I'd hate to disable it because of this but my neck is really hurting today from the jarring while I was looking over my shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Event #1: How steep was the driveway? How fast were you backing up? When I exit my garage I do so very, very slowly as I have a neighbor's wall blocking my view to my right and a hedge that blocks my view to the left. Once I get most of the way out of my driveway I get a clear view in both directions. So I back out very slowly until I can see clearly in both directions.

Nonetheless, I occasionally get a beep indicating that my rear cross traffic sensors have caught something and there usually is something (I am one house away from a cross street so a car turning into my street will not be visible or sensible until just before being at my driveway).

This is a long winded way of explaining why I asked my questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Event 1

Did you receive any audible warning? I wasn't aware auto braking included backing up. I thought rear cross traffic alert was a warning only, but I could be wrong.

Curious if you have Auto Hold enabled? Seems like a stretch, but maybe you were going slow enough that it enabled and stopped the car?

Event 2

Not a new issue. I've had this occasional error on every car I've had with comfort access. It's ultra low power radio, sometimes it just has a hiccup. Click ok and drive on....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #12
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The driveway was not very steep, perhaps a tad more than normal, and there was no audible warning prior to full on dead stop. I was reversing at a slow rate, like one would back out of a spot where you were not sure if a car was approaching(one was not). Before I got to the point where I could see, I got stopped. I do not have auto hold enabled.
It does not take much of an incline change to trigger the sensors. There is no warning - it is an immediate hard brake. The red warning markers usually appear in the cars rear profile which is a warning to slow to a crawl and change to direction if possible. This is normal behavior, except when one of the sensors has debris on it which can effect it.
      08-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

Interestingly, when driving forward I get the Red Car if it thinks I am too close to the car in front of me but I have never had the auto brake cut in while driving forward. I had experienced that will my infiniti previously in forward and reverse and I was beginning to wonder if my BMW was set up correctly. Well, reverse auto brake is active, I just need to get the sensor adjusted or set up properly. I'd hate to disable it because of this but my neck is really hurting today from the jarring while I was looking over my shoulder.
I think you do need to get it looked at. I can't imagine how in a properly working system you would get the braking without the warning. The system is designed to give you the warning first, then the braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #14
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I was looking over my shoulder so I don't know if there were any red markings that showed up, certainly no audible warnings.,

I can ask my wife if she saw anything but I doubt she would recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
It does not take much of an incline change to trigger the sensors. There is no warning - it is an immediate hard brake. The red warning markers usually appear in the cars rear profile which is a warning to slow to a crawl and change to direction if possible. This is normal behavior, except when one of the sensors has debris on it which can effect it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I had washed my car earlier that day. She was spotless.

If the bumper sensors are the ones that contrail that, they were clean. If there is another sensor that I am unaware of, possibly.

I always clean the center (window type) se4nsor in the front of the car to make sure there are no false alarms. I don't see one of those on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #16
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
The sensors can easily misread objects as safety hazards. This happened at the car wash when they bringing my car back to me. There was a towel on the ground near the rear wheels. It's better than not having it at all. Safety first!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #17
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I think you do need to get it looked at. I can't imagine how in a properly working system you would get the braking without the warning. The system is designed to give you the warning first, then the braking.
Not quite. The warning is shown on the visual car image with red and yellow around suspect areas and the classic beeping. When a red area is further moved into (such as an incline), the car will brake. This is a well chatted about issue here and elsewhere.
      08-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
The sensors can easily misread objects as safety hazards. This happened at the car wash when they bringing my car back to me. There was a towel on the ground near the rear wheels. It's better than not having it at all. Safety first!
Can't the systems be easily, and temporarily, disabled by clicking the button next to the hazards? That way you won't have issues in a car wash or other cases where the system may be impacted by a false positive?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #19
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Can't the systems be easily, and temporarily, disabled by clicking the button next to the hazards? That way you won't have issues in a car wash or other cases where the system may be impacted by a false positive?
I believe so, but I think this is something you have to disable after every engine start.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:38 AM   #20
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I've turned off emergency braking interventions in parking. I've had too many instances of looking like an idiot in parking lots where the car would refuse to move even when there's nothing. For an example, if you were waiting to park and another vehicle went past you, it registers that as an obstacle even after it's gone.

As for the missing key notification, that usually comes when the signal becomes weaker or obstructed. I usually charge my key or move from where it is and it does the trick every time.
Appreciate 1
jsf7211105.50
      08-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #21
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Event 1: I will tell you its not the last time... I've had this happen many times. BMW have ways to go to fine tune their sensors. That's the reason I don't like too many active driving interventions... in my car I've dialed them down as much as I could.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #22
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
I've turned off emergency braking interventions in parking. I've had too many instances of looking like an idiot in parking lots where the car would refuse to move even when there's nothing. For an example, if you were waiting to park and another vehicle went past you, it registers that as an obstacle even after it's gone.

As for the missing key notification, that usually comes when the signal becomes weaker or obstructed. I usually charge my key or move from where it is and it does the trick every time.
how tight is your parking spot, I crawl like turtle and never had it emergency stop on me, so far...
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50