BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Wireless Charger Toster

03-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
drholliday
Rep
Drives: bmw m550i g30 2018

Wireless Charger Toster

I have a G30 M550i 2018 ordered with a wireless charger. Since I took possession of this car it has overheated my iPhone X, Samsung S8, Samsung S10 and more importantly the display key fob that came with the car.

I went to my dealer who replaced the unit, didn't help much. The field engineer took a look said that that's how they work and that that's all that could be done.

I call BS, so I did my own research and after 5 months of looking in my spare time, considering outside consultants even considered replacing the unit with an after market unit. I found that an LTE compensator was a part of the OEM installation so I looked at just replacing the battery charger. What I found was no less than 5 hardware updates for the charger so they knew that there was an issue.

When I had the charger replaced with the latest version my problem resolved.

Everyone makes mistakes but how those mistakes are resolved speaks to character and ethics of a person a corporation. BMW dropped the ball on this problem. I was very fortunate to have help from forums like this one and the internet, what if I had a big problem?
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

So sorry you had to endure this, should have been fixed early by the dealer. I have had no problems with mine, although the phone gets warm, it has never overheated. I was informed of the LTE compensator by BMW, with the paperwork I got with the car. This included the requirement to register it with the FCC, which I did.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Same in the G11 7er, mine sometimes just heats the phone and doesn't charge it other times it's fine.
      03-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I had mine replaced in January this year. But I had a similar experience to you where they tried to tell me it's normal, etc despite me sending them a video showing wireless charger acting up. Fortunately for me, I had used the display key in the video. So I insisted that they either fix the wireless charger or replace the key as one has to be faulty. Case ended up at the service manager who apologised for how it's been looked at. It was resolved within few days after they wrote to BMW technical team who advised them to replace the whole unit.
Appreciate 2
hoyas490131.50
clee1982796.00
      03-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Even if it's fixed, my recommendation would be to not keep your phone in a case when using it. The phone won't dissipate any heat if you do. The case will insulate the phone and make it even hotter.

It's sort of a pain for me, because I have a leather wallet type case, which is worse than the traditional cases people use. There is no way for the heat to escape with the case I have.
      03-18-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
theeclectic
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drholliday View Post
I found that an LTE compensator was a part of the OEM installation so I looked at just replacing the battery charger. What I found was no less than 5 hardware updates for the charger so they knew that there was an issue.
Mine is similarly overheating my iPhone X. What exactly should I tell the dealer so that I don't have to go through the same runaround they gave you? That they need to replace the battery charger with the latest version? Do you have a version number or will they automatically replace it with the latest? Thanks for the update on your journey.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Good to know thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
theeclectic
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drholliday View Post
I have a G30 M550i 2018 ordered with a wireless charger. Since I took possession of this car it has overheated my iPhone X, Samsung S8, Samsung S10 and more importantly the display key fob that came with the car.

I went to my dealer who replaced the unit, didn't help much. The field engineer took a look said that that's how they work and that that's all that could be done.

I call BS, so I did my own research and after 5 months of looking in my spare time, considering outside consultants even considered replacing the unit with an after market unit. I found that an LTE compensator was a part of the OEM installation so I looked at just replacing the battery charger. What I found was no less than 5 hardware updates for the charger so they knew that there was an issue.

When I had the charger replaced with the latest version my problem resolved.

Everyone makes mistakes but how those mistakes are resolved speaks to character and ethics of a person a corporation. BMW dropped the ball on this problem. I was very fortunate to have help from forums like this one and the internet, what if I had a big problem?

I'm having the exact same issue. I asked them to look at the LTE compensator and see if there were any updates and they said no and that's just how the charger works. I'm not sure what magic words to say or what part to tell them to look up to see if it needs to be switched out. Do you have any recommendations for me? I'm extremely frustrated by this. Will calling BMW's main number help at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #9
Philphy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d G30 2021

The dealers don't seem to care. I spoke to them today. My iPhone XS overheating causing connection issues with the car so I lose CarPlay and the phone plays the music rather than it coming through the cars audio system then connects then disconnects etc. I bought some simple stick pads from the dollar shop and put them onto the charging pad to raise the phone slightly to get air flow underneath. So far so good. The phone still gets hit but I have had no disconnect issues since. The pads are white so used a permanent black marker on them so they don't stand out and now seem to blend in quite nicely. BMW should use a small hose or something to connect the air control to the charging pad. Definitely remove your phone from the case before placing on wireless charger.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
c3r2z8f30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 540ix & 2021 x5 40i

I have the same problem with my 2021 x5.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphy View Post
The dealers don't seem to care. I spoke to them today. My iPhone XS overheating causing connection issues with the car so I lose CarPlay and the phone plays the music rather than it coming through the cars audio system then connects then disconnects etc. I bought some simple stick pads from the dollar shop and put them onto the charging pad to raise the phone slightly to get air flow underneath. So far so good. The phone still gets hit but I have had no disconnect issues since. The pads are white so used a permanent black marker on them so they don't stand out and now seem to blend in quite nicely. BMW should use a small hose or something to connect the air control to the charging pad. Definitely remove your phone from the case before placing on wireless charger.
Good idea to shim the phone slightly to get a little air circulation under it; glad it seems to work. I wonder how far from the pad the phone can go and still charge. My guess is that the heat is generated by a high charge rate, so I don't know if you would actually reduce the heat or just lessen it via air circulation if you move it away. It would be interesting to try a few different thickness shims to see. Still, it is too bad that folks here on the forum have to do all the legwork for the lazy dealer service folks, or have to invent solutions for problems that BMW should be fixing and for which there are BMW solutions but they just don't know about them. --Bob
      04-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #12
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

seriously though - this is bogus - have tried with and without case on 12 Pro - heats up errtime

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 03:46 AM   #13
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

I don't have wireless charger at my car but I have many different brand wireless charges at the office and home, and all of them heats the phone / intelligent key everytime. LTE compensator may be adding over this issue, but heating issue really comes with the wireless charging because of the receivers embedded in the device.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #14
reu2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i xDrive Shadowlin

Garage List
2024 X7 M60i  [0.00]
2021 540xi  [0.00]
I'm having the same issue on a 2021 540i I just picked up two weeks ago. It charges extremely slow for the amount of heat you get on an iPhone 12 Pro (Took over 10 minutes to get 82% from 81% and the phone was already pretty warm). I've also tried it with and without a case and in different areas of the charging pad.

While it's true you always generate some heat with wireless charging, this is a bit extreme and I've never had my phone over heat otherwise.
Appreciate 0