BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Cluster went blank

09-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Cluster went blank

Wired thing happened today, jumped into the car, drove off then noticed the cluster was blank, totally black. Idrive was fine, only showed faults for predestination and collision disabled and restricted. That and the fact I had no Speedo? Called BMW assist, who advised disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Locked the car, by the time BMW assist arrived and I unlocked the car the dash was back up and running again? Very very odd indeed.

Only other issue I’ve had was with the reverse camera, which did the same. Black screen. Then appeared after the vehicle was locked up.

Interestingly enough the tech said there are no newer updates
Appreciate 1
Evrenp1.50
      09-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Wired thing happened today, jumped into the car, drove off then noticed the cluster was blank, totally black. Idrive was fine, only showed faults for predestination and collision disabled and restricted. That and the fact I had no Speedo? Called BMW assist, who advised disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Locked the car, by the time BMW assist arrived and I unlocked the car the dash was back up and running again? Very very odd indeed.

Only other issue I’ve had was with the reverse camera, which did the same. Black screen. Then appeared after the vehicle was locked up.

I suppose that's just another computer getting stuck. We are going to face these more and more in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

how old is the car?
That should obviously not occur. I would make sure you have a record of this should it ever reoccur so you have some ammunition for getting a replacement / software update or what ever is deemed necessary to fix.

I've had the rear camera fail twice in the first year . Just had the software upgrade to S15A 18-07-540 , whether that addresses it or not, time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
how old is the car?
That should obviously not occur. I would make sure you have a record of this should it ever reoccur so you have some ammunition for getting a replacement / software update or what ever is deemed necessary to fix.

I've had the rear camera fail twice in the first year . Just had the software upgrade to S15A 18-07-540 , whether that addresses it or not, time will tell.
Car is December 2017, as mentioned, the BMW tech said it was showing no updates. There were various errors logged on his diagnostics, but more software glitches and non permanent faults. All of which cleared on reboot. It’s logged and I have a print out now so will see how things progress.

I thought about doing a battery disconnected at the time, went to the mini tool kit, no 10mm BMW spanner. Oh how I miss my old E46 lol
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Wired thing happened today, jumped into the car, drove off then noticed the cluster was blank, totally black. Idrive was fine, only showed faults for predestination and collision disabled and restricted. That and the fact I had no Speedo
This exact same thing happened to me for the first time today - only difference was that I was about 15 minutes into a 40 minute drive when it happened - only lasted for approximately 10 seconds then everything went back to normal.

I'm at 6,000 miles on a 2021 M550i. Anyone else have this happen on their LCI G30 yet?
Appreciate 1
1badTKE23.50
      04-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

And this is the exact problem that has he aghast at the movement toward putting all the info on a screen. computer screens fail and the software that drives them can fail as well.
Appreciate 1
NGT25409.50
      04-11-2021, 05:08 AM   #7
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
And this is the exact problem that has he aghast at the movement toward putting all the info on a screen. computer screens fail and the software that drives them can fail as well.
Not really sure what your post means? Few typos maybe? But I posted that in 2018? Never had an issue since, plus had few new BMW’s since that post. In truth, anything can fail, a Speedo cable does and regularly did back in the day. A binnacle can fail, printed circuits burn out and fail. I genuinely believe my issue was down to a 3rd party Carplay activation via USB. As it happened in total 3 times, each time AFTER I used the paid for usb carplay hack. BMW replaced all sorts including the main head unit, display etc.. in the end I purchased the carplay direct from BMW connected drive and never had the issue again. Lesson learnt. For the record everything today is run by some sort or software, it the time we love in. Oh I’m an analogue guy through and through.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

yes. there was a typo. I meant "me", not "he". Anyway, I am referring to the tendency started by Tesla to putting everything on a screen. Computer screens do fail and if all the information needed by a driver is gone, and the ability to change features is also gone, that can be scary. Physical buttons and switches don't fail in the same way.
Appreciate 1
NGT25409.50
      04-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

i wonder if your cluster going blank is somehow related to the cluster showing a shift in readouts to the left like I had on my 2019 540xi. I photographed it, took a video of it moving around and took it to the dealer. They were familiar with the problem and said they would first try to reprogram it, but if that didn't work they would replace it. They said when I picked it up that when the car was plugged into BMW's computer diagnostic system BMW said replace the cluster. So they did. No problems since--Bob
Attached Images

04-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
i wonder if your cluster going blank is somehow related to the cluster showing a shift in readouts to the left like I had on my 2019 540xi. I photographed it, took a video of it moving around and took it to the dealer. They were familiar with the problem and said they would first try to reprogram it, but if that didn't work they would replace it. They said when I picked it up that when the car was plugged into BMW's computer diagnostic system BMW said replace the cluster. So they did. No problems since--Bob
Interesting - no shift in readouts on mine - just randomly went completely blank for approx. 10 seconds in the midst of a drive yesterday. Hopefully it was a 1 time thing (I know, I know...its likely wishful thinking...) - if it happens a second time, will bring it in and see what they say...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #11
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxberryJam View Post
Interesting - no shift in readouts on mine - just randomly went completely blank for approx. 10 seconds in the midst of a drive yesterday. Hopefully it was a 1 time thing (I know, I know...its likely wishful thinking...) - if it happens a second time, will bring it in and see what they say...
If you take your car in for service they should be able to plug in and run a diagnostic on the display cluster as they did for mine. Good luck with it--Bob
      04-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Read this post few days go, last night my cluster and idrive went blank!
I woke up and it was a dream... but wtf to myself 🤣.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #13
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2017 540. My touch screen would gi blank and reboot. Needed new head unit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #14
TommyGloves
Rep
Drives: 2017 540ix

FWIW. The cluster on my 17 540 started going black and resetting back in Dec. I would tap the top of the dash and it would light up. Took it in for service and they replaced the instrument cluster. It's been working ok so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #15
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

ok, glad I'm not the only one

cluster out twice and iDrive once in the 3mo I have had this 2018 M550i - CPO

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 08:05 AM   #16
pobrienny
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 530e

Quote:
I just had this same issue yesterday. It "fixed" itself when I got out of the car. I'll have the dealer look at it tomorrow when I'm in for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #17
Dalmat152
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e g30

Hi. Have this same problem. Start about year ago and come just sometimes. Now is nearly every day. Is any ine fix it? Is a cluster problem it self or some computer or maybe something else?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not really sure what your post means? Few typos maybe? But I posted that in 2018? Never had an issue since, plus had few new BMW’s since that post. In truth, anything can fail, a Speedo cable does and regularly did back in the day. A binnacle can fail, printed circuits burn out and fail. I genuinely believe my issue was down to a 3rd party Carplay activation via USB. As it happened in total 3 times, each time AFTER I used the paid for usb carplay hack. BMW replaced all sorts including the main head unit, display etc.. in the end I purchased the carplay direct from BMW connected drive and never had the issue again. Lesson learnt. For the record everything today is run by some sort or software, it the time we love in. Oh I’m an analogue guy through and through.
Yes. Some typos. Sorry. I was referring to the fact that computer screens do fail...sometimes temporarily and sometimes permanently. You are correct that binnacles can fail, etc. In order to go from level 2 to level 4 automation, car makers have to build in redundancy. I wish they would do the same thing for their cars whether they have level 4 automation or not.

If one has a Tesla Model 3 or Y, not only must one look to the side to see the speed one is driving, but everything is on that one screen. If it fails, you are reduced to driving analog. Try explaining to the cop who pulls you over for speeding that you didn't and couldn't know how fast you were driving because your display failed.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 01:27 PM   #19
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

Next time something like this happens, press and hold the radio volume button for about 20 seconds, this will reboot your idrive system and usually solves the issue. If you see shifts in readouts like shown above, you will have to bring it in for service, gets fixed with a firmware update usually.
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #20
Dalmat152
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e g30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealBMW View Post
Next time something like this happens, press and hold the radio volume button for about 20 seconds, this will reboot your idrive system and usually solves the issue. If you see shifts in readouts like shown above, you will have to bring it in for service, gets fixed with a firmware update usually.
I try to restart the IDrive but is not working. In g30 need to hold the button for 30sec. After that the sat navigation is reset fine but the cluster is still black and not working.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 03:58 AM   #21
Evrenp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 520d XDrive M

Quote:

I have the same problem which happens randomly from time to time.

I had the dashboard gone blank with all the other faults came on, had to drive like this. Next day it was fine.

6 months gone it’s done it again.
Took it to the main dealer, they couldn’t find anything wrong. Not even an error log. Told me to keep an eye on and bring back if it happens again.

Last summer I was about to go on a 3000 mile journey around Europe and in the morning it’s done it again. I had to drive from UK to Germany all with blank dashboard.

Since last summer it hasn’t done it for 8 months. Last week it’s done it again.

I don’t know what’s causing this but I realise when it happens, all the other lights such as the ventilation temperature come on too bright. I suspect it’s a glitch with the electrical system or the fuse.

Not sure and still not resolved.
Appreciate 1
NGT25409.50
      06-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #22
Pastyp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d Touring

Unhappy 520d Touring - digital dash went blank

Hi,
Exact same thing happened this morning when picking kids up for school. Digital dash blank and iDrive screen reporting only issues with passenger collision avoidance and parking sensors. My issue my car is out of warranty, so this sounds disturbingly expensive Any one have a cost estimate when this happened outside warranty?
Appreciate 0