BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2021 530e owners?

04-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep
Drives: '21 330i

2021 530e owners?

I'm looking to add a 530e or 530i to the stable in a few months, but want to know if the hybrid is a better choice. If anyone here has the 2021 530e, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the car and how it is to live with. Performance, plug-in charging, MPG, any negatives, etc. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:10 AM   #2
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

I have a 530e and after 6k of mainly local driving (lockdown) I have averaged 65mpg (UK). For a car that does 0-60 in about 6s that’s great ! In medium temperatures I get about 25+ miles on the electric. The tank is small so overall range isn’t that great.

I have had no problems with the hybrid system - all my problems have been with ID7 software. I have a wall box with a teathered cable so it takes less than 30s to hook it up without having to faff about with cables.

The 2.0L engine can sound a little raucous when pushed but normally it is very quiet and on EV total silence of course.

This is my third PHEV with 2 Mercedes previously - a E350e and a C350e. For my driving they are great as I do mostly short local trips with occasional motorway journeys. If I were doing 25,000 miles a year then a PHEV wouldn’t suit as when the battery is depleted a small 2.0L is dragging around a large car with heavy batteries and I think it would struggle to do about 30mpg.

The major downside I have found is that in the UK at the moment the market doesn’t like used plug-ins. I have been offered £ 27k against a new car which means it has depreciated 50% in less than 18 months.

So, in summary, I believe if you will be doing low miles journeys then the 530e would be the choice but if it’s long journeys go with the 530i.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:17 AM   #3
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
I have a 530e and after 6k of mainly local driving (lockdown) I have averaged 65mpg (UK). For a car that does 0-60 in about 6s that’s great ! In medium temperatures I get about 25+ miles on the electric. The tank is small so overall range isn’t that great.

I have had no problems with the hybrid system - all my problems have been with ID7 software. I have a wall box with a teathered cable so it takes less than 30s to hook it up without having to faff about with cables.

The 2.0L engine can sound a little raucous when pushed but normally it is very quiet and on EV total silence of course.

This is my third PHEV with 2 Mercedes previously - a E350e and a C350e. For my driving they are great as I do mostly short local trips with occasional motorway journeys. If I were doing 25,000 miles a year then a PHEV wouldn’t suit as when the battery is depleted a small 2.0L is dragging around a large car with heavy batteries and I think it would struggle to do about 30mpg.

The major downside I have found is that in the UK at the moment the market doesn’t like used plug-ins. I have been offered £ 27k against a new car which means it has depreciated 50% in less than 18 months.

So, in summary, I believe if you will be doing low miles journeys then the 530e would be the choice but if it’s long journeys go with the 530i.
Thanks for the insite, I was curious about electric issues and the feel when the battery is depleted. Being a plug-in, I assume the battery must be charged when depleted and does not do so on its own? The daily commute for this car will be less than 5 miles a day, so I think electric only will be used quite often.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:01 AM   #4
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I have a new 530e and am very pleased with it. As long as your not regularly doing long journeys or need a lot of boot space it makes sense. I had a 330e last year and find this car more economical. I do 4 trips of 10 km each day and am managing to do nearly all of that on electric at a cost of about €1 per day. It seems to go further on electric than the more sporty 330e. I charge overnight using cheap off-peak electricity and a granny cable. Even on 18'' non-runflats the ride especially in the rear is a bit firm but it's not bad. Also you will be aware of the weight if driving hard but the grip seems very good. It really depends how you're going to be using it. But if the circumstances suit it can mean a huge saving.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have a 2018 model so you can stop reading this if you are only interested in comments from owners of a 2021 model.

I definitely notice the weight and its impact on fuel economy once I deplete the battery. But I still have no difficulty generating speed.

LA roads can be pretty bad so consider the adaptive dampers if you are concerned about the roads.

I find the transition from battery to ICE is very smooth.

During the hot summer months, especially if you live inland instead of on the coast, you will likely love the ability to turn on the AC with the phone app.

I tend to drive the car like I hate it but I have nonetheless been getting between 600 and 1000 miles on a 12.4 gallon tank depending upon how much driving I do that will deplete the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #6
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Chuckyarla Thanks for the input, definitely need to take a ride and see how it feels. Is yours M sport as well? SteveinArizona Thankfully the roads by me are all relatively smooth. I plan to drive it abusively when I get my turn too lol, 600-1k on a tank is amazing considering that's spot on what this car will do monthly, 800 tops. I'm actually cross shopping this with a Model 3 SR so that long range is definitely a plus.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #7
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Steve are you sure on those numbers? you must be doing very short trips and charging immediately after every single trip if your getting 600-1000 miles.

The tank holds approx 350 miles of petrol in real life terms so in order to get that kind of mileage daily drives must consist 50-75% of only electric driving and 50-75% of trips all be under approx 20-25 miles range using battery only with charging after every single trip.

You say you drive it hard which would bring the engine on so how are you realising these ranges on a single tank? I am genuinely interested what your driving distance and habits are to get that mileage so I can try do the same myself as I can use my other car for other trips.

I'm in lock down due Covid rules and mainly drive in my town on electric and go for a daily run on the local motorway approx 20 miles and I only return about 500 miles per tank max (usually less) with charging after every trip.

QUOTE=SteveinArizona;27427905]I have a 2018 model so you can stop reading this if you are only interested in comments from owners of a 2021 model.

I definitely notice the weight and its impact on fuel economy once I deplete the battery. But I still have no difficulty generating speed.

LA roads can be pretty bad so consider the adaptive dampers if you are concerned about the roads.

During the hot summer months, especially if you live inland instead of on the coast, you will likely love the ability to turn on the AC with the phone app.

I tend to drive the car like I hate it but I have nonetheless been getting between 600 and 1000 miles on a 12.4 gallon tank depending upon how much driving I do that will deplete the battery.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Steve are you sure on those numbers? you must be doing very short trips and charging immediately after every single trip if your getting 600-1000 miles.

The tank holds approx 350 miles of petrol in real life terms so in order to get that kind of mileage daily drives must consist 50-75% of only electric driving and 50-75% of trips all be under approx 20-25 miles range using battery only with charging after every single trip.

You say you drive it hard which would bring the engine on so how are you realising these ranges on a single tank? I am genuinely interested what your driving distance and habits are to get that mileage so I can try do the same myself as I can use my other car for other trips.

I'm in lock down due Covid rules and mainly drive in my town on electric and go for a daily run on the local motorway approx 20 miles and I only return about 500 miles per tank max (usually less) with charging after every trip.

QUOTE=SteveinArizona;27427905]I have a 2018 model so you can stop reading this if you are only interested in comments from owners of a 2021 model.

I tend to drive the car like I hate it but I have nonetheless been getting between 600 and 1000 miles on a 12.4 gallon tank depending upon how much driving I do that will deplete the battery.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am certain BUT I am retired now so I make lots of short trips and can charge between them. For example, I live 4.5 miles from two Costcos; so I can make a trip there and back without using the ICE and then recharge the car. My longest trips tend to be to see my grandson (about 20 miles each way) and some golf courses while other courses are close by.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:42 AM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I have a new 530e and am very pleased with it. As long as your not regularly doing long journeys or need a lot of boot space it makes sense. I had a 330e last year and find this car more economical. I do 4 trips of 10 km each day and am managing to do nearly all of that on electric at a cost of about €1 per day. It seems to go further on electric than the more sporty 330e. I charge overnight using cheap off-peak electricity and a granny cable. Even on 18'' non-runflats the ride especially in the rear is a bit firm but it's not bad. Also you will be aware of the weight if driving hard but the grip seems very good. It really depends how you're going to be using it. But if the circumstances suit it can mean a huge saving.
The car is extremely efficient on the highway. On highway runs I average over 40MPG (best I did was 65MPG if memory serves me) so it is a lot better on long trips than you would expect. Even if you lead foot it the car will still be pretty efficient for its class. If I throw it into sport and drive it like I stole it and slide up to the triple digits I still stay above the mid-30s MPG. Exceeding still EPA estimates for the gas version. Last time someone asked me this I took a photo after a typical trip I make a couple of times a month. I attached that here. It was ~50MPG on that run.

But as anything. Your mileage may vary some on fuel economy. I am definitely very pleased with it on my car though.

I will be doing a solid 700 miles or so OW this week driving down to MX1 and I take my car on long trips as often as I possibly can. I took it 1200 miles within the first week of buying it to get it out of the break in period Made less gas stops than I did in my ‘14 MB C300 it replaced which had a 17 gallon tank compared to my 12 gallon 530e.

Name:  JPEG image.jpg
Views: 4986
Size:  247.6 KB
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2021, 06:28 AM   #10
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Steve's numbers seem reasonable to me.

I filled my 2019 530e with 11.2 gallons Friday and there was 1220 miles on the trip Odometer. According to the readings in the dash, 840 of those miles were electric, 380 on gasoline.

Fill up prior to that one I got 957 miles out of the tank.

Keep in mind this is a 2019 with the smaller battery.

My commute to work is 8 miles each way city stop and go traffic. I charge at work. 90% of other trips (shopping, going to lunch, etc.) are within range of battery. This usage is where electric shines, and a big reason why I bought the car. Prior car was Infiniti Q50 and I averaged only 15 MPG...mainly due to commute and short trips I suppose.

Last edited by rts2101; 04-04-2021 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #11
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks RTS I understand this but I think it's important that we all frame those numbers based in our usage when people ask before buying so their expectation is met.

For example I drive two 120 mile journeys weekly with no charging on the other end and I only get about 500 miles max on a tank because of that.

Both yourself and Steve are driving the perfect profile for a 530e.

The 530e is super efficient for small journeys but it only returns about 42-48 mpg on longer journeys.

Depends on what type of driving your doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks RTS I understand this but I think it's important that we all frame those numbers based in our usage when people ask before buying so their expectation is met.

For example I drive two 120 mile journeys weekly with no charging on the other end and I only get about 500 miles max on a tank because of that.

Both yourself and Steve are driving the perfect profile for a 530e.

The 530e is super efficient for small journeys but it only returns about 42-48 mph on longer journeys.

Depends on what type of driving your doing.
Absolutely. The 530e is not efficient at long highway driving as you deplete the battery but you are still carrying all that weight. On the other hand, in city driving you get a lot of regen from the braking and coasting.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

I would be so much more efficient if I had charging in work on those long trips.

Using the battery for the 20 mile rush hour in and out of the city would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #14
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Frankfurter if it helps I actually had a model 3P on order but canceled it and went for a 2 year old 530e.

Only reason I did this is I don't want to be stuck with a car in 4 years with no value as battery tech advances.

Imagine owning a Tesla that takes hours to charge if better tech in 4 years results in batteries that take only an hour to fully charge.

Your residual value would plummet.

When I asked Tesla about residual value they wouldn't even take a guess so I made the decision to cancel the order.

As above if your doing small trips and have charging available the 530e is great. Longer trips without charging and your miles per tank will drop significantly.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #15
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
I would be so much more efficient if I had charging in work on those long trips.
Yes....I am lucky in that respect as my employer is big on incentivizing "Green" behavior.

They provide cash incentive to purchase, dedicated preferred parking, they subsidized my home charging station purchase and install, and best of all heavily discounted charging rates at work. Roughly 1/3 of what I pay at home.

Most people taking advantage these policies have Nissan Leafs and the like. My car sticks out like a sore thumb in the parking garage area reserved for us.

I bought the car mainly because I think the technology is cool and I absolutely love the BMW 5 series cars, not for any fuel savings or concern for the environment.

But my driving conditions fit the mission of the 530e to a "T". The car makes me happy....probably happier than a car should make a man my age.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #16
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Bought my own as the G30 is stunning, I like the tech and have had BMWs for years.

I also have a large PV solar array so in summer my electric driving will be 100% free charged from my dedicated smart charger that shunts all spare power to the car. Managed to drive last 3 days on my own generated electricity as the sun came out for a few days.

Unfortunately for the three months since purchase I have had an issue with bad tyre rim combo causing shaking and instability, BMW finally diagnosed it a week ago. As such I haven't yet had that happy new car feeling but have ordered new OEM wheels and tyres so hope in a week I'm back to enjoying the car.

QUOTE=rts2101;27432645]
Quote:
Yes....I am lucky in that respect as my employer is big on incentivizing "Green" behavior.

They provide cash incentive to purchase, dedicated preferred parking, they subsidized my home charging station purchase and install, and best of all heavily discounted charging rates at work. Roughly 1/3 of what I pay at home.

Most people taking advantage these policies have Nissan Leafs and the like. My car sticks out like a sore thumb in the parking garage area reserved for us.

I bought the car mainly because I think the technology is cool and I absolutely love the BMW 5 series cars, not for any fuel savings or concern for the environment.

But my driving conditions fit the mission of the 530e to a "T". The car makes me happy....probably happier than a car should make a man my age.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #17
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Good point on the Tesla update...I'm sure in a few years charging will be well beyond our current speeds. And not to sound bougee but the 5 series is just more of a luxury car. The model 3 is cool and all but I need to drive the SR+ and see how it feels compared to the 5er.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #18
kennyzm
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xdrive touring

The last months mileage in the 530e xdrive touring. A couple of longer trips, but mostly short trips in and a round Oslo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #19
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

100% agree the bmw is much more luxurious.

Tesla acceleration is great fun but the interior and general Mazda from the 80s shape puts me off cosmetically.

QUOTE=dr_frankfurter;27433210]Good point on the Tesla update...I'm sure in a few years charging will be well beyond our current speeds. And not to sound bougee but the 5 series is just more of a luxury car. The model 3 is cool and all but I need to drive the SR+ and see how it feels compared to the 5er.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #20
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyzm View Post
The last months mileage in the 530e xdrive touring. A couple of longer trips, but mostly short trips in and a round Oslo.
wow, that's 94MPG for us Americans. Does the "regen mode" for the battery do a good enough job or do you still need to charge it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 12:52 AM   #21
kennyzm
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xdrive touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_frankfurter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyzm View Post
wow, that's 94MPG for us Americans. Does the "regen mode" for the battery do a good enough job or do you still need to charge it yourself?
I have a charger at home and plug it in every night. Without home charging the mpg figures would be a lot lower.

Re-gen gives only a couple of extra miles on a journey, of course depending on the road you are driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
ajsawyer
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D, 2018 530e

Take a look at the used market, a lot of 2018 models are coming off lease and the 530e is still relatively unknown. I just got a 2018 model with the m sport package and top end massaging seats for $31k (33k miles) from vroom, who also gave me a very generous price for my trade in. Here are the pics: https://spins.spincar.com/vroomriver...ja9c50jb033161

I live in a semi-rural area and commute 30 miles each way to work, but the 530e still makes a lot of sense for me as I have charging available at the office and I installed a level 2 charger at home for $150 (before rebates). I've been averaging 72-75mpg each way on my 30 mile commute, which consists of 12 miles of rural 2 lane hwy and the rest mostly interstate at 80+mph.

I also have a 2015 x5 diesel which is better suited for long highway trips (roomier, more range), but only gets 30mpg when I use it to commute and 22mpg when my wife drives it around town.

With the time of use rate in Georgia, a full charge costs about 10 cents. When charged to 100% the car shows 18 miles of range. However, if I run on max e-drive until the dash shows 0 electric range, it will still run in electric mode for a few miles (and automatically switch to auto e-drive) - especially in stop and go driving.

The only issue I have is that the engine was de-tuned so that the combined power is the same as the 530i, but I should be able to remedy this with bootmod3 for around $600. This should bring the combined output to well over 300hp. It looks like the newer models were not de-tuned to the same degree as the posted 0-60 times are nearly a second less.

All in all I'm very impressed with the car and am sorry that anyone pays the same amount of money for a 530i as they don't know what they are missing.

Last edited by ajsawyer; 06-03-2021 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 1