BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

11-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Would that small block of rubber (?) actually make any difference?
Not as simple as a rubber block. Vibration absorbers are usually made of iron bonded to a rubber mount, tuned to a specific frequency.

There can be several of these around a vehicle, bolted to the diff, ARB mounts, even added to engine mounts. Take the one in the attached picture, fitted to an E61 535d rear ARB assembly.

To show how critical the tuned frequency, another example is the same item on an F10 520d. Originally a 35Hz vibration absorber, later superseded/changed to 42Hz. Diff mounted absorbers can vary in frequency, according to the model, diff ratio, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #68
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Not as simple as a rubber block. Vibration absorbers are usually made of iron bonded to a rubber mount, tuned to a specific frequency.

There can be several of these around a vehicle, bolted to the diff, ARB mounts, even added to engine mounts. Take the one in the attached picture, fitted to an E61 535d rear ARB assembly.

To show how critical the tuned frequency, another example is the same item on an F10 520d. Originally a 35Hz vibration absorber, later superseded/changed to 42Hz. Diff mounted absorbers can vary in frequency, according to the model, diff ratio, etc.
fascinating stuff, I had no idea - thanks
      11-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #69
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Wow, really interesting update. I'd like to hope that my car, that came OE with 19" would have this, but the implication from the earlier post is that only the "X5/6/7" cars do.

Still, looks like a relatively simple and inexpensive fix.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #70
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Wow, really interesting update. I'd like to hope that my car, that came OE with 19" would have this, but the implication from the earlier post is that only the "X5/6/7" cars do.

Still, looks like a relatively simple and inexpensive fix.
Certainly a 'future' tool in BMW's solution box, if there really are many examples, which can't be solved with well setup wheels and tires.

I remember when the E39 5-series was in production and BMW fitted larger rims than had been fitted to the E34. Some users of the E34 upgraded to the larger rims, but couldn't get rid of the wheel shimmy and vibrations. Quite a few experts looked at the issue at the time, conclusion the bigger wheels just didn't work on many examples of the E34.

If it is a problem of pushing the limits of wheel harmonics, (probable the stack of build tolerances in some examples of the G30), may well be controlled with additional vibration absorbers. Will be interesting to see if BMW do add that option to ranges other than the X5/7, in the future.

I do wonder if most examples of apparently 'unsolvable' vibration, are with the bigger diameter rim options.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #71
Bmw g30
Rep
Drives: Bmw g30

Quote:
It might be worth trying but having warranty on many of these cars I doubt that the dealers will try to solve the problem with these kinds of mitigations.

I had a meeting with the dealer which has now formally confirmed that they have this issue on the g30’s but do not have any clue about the solution. He told me that the factory in germany had indicated awarness about the problem which is concerning a number of cars from a particular production slot. However, no mitigations measures which indicates to me that it’s not just about replacing a simple part of the car, if not a design flaw.

In my case I agreed to get a replacement which they have accepted but the final details are not in place yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #72
Bmw g30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinnish530e View Post
Unfortunately, not yet. I took the car to the dealer (different one I’ve been to before) in the morning. They could not replicate the problem on a test drive (obviously) because you cannot do faster than 100km/h in Finland during winter. The service salesman honestly said me ’why does it bother at 130km/h, you are never allowed to drive that fast’. I was kinda shocked, and replied, what if I took the car to autobahn, would the vibs then magically disappear?

However, they are keeping my car overnight and doing some more tests and driving tomorrow. I got an entry level 530e xDrive as a loaner, and done 300km on it so far. Not a single vibration has been present, butter smooth ride. Wish mine was like this too. This is on some standard 18 inch alloys and Nokian Hakkapeliitta non-studded winter tires.

What did the dealer say?? Any news ??
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #73
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

Quote:
Unfortunately, not yet. I took the car to the dealer (different one I’ve been to before) in the morning. They could not replicate the problem on a test drive (obviously) because you cannot do faster than 100km/h in Finland during winter. The service salesman honestly said me ’why does it bother at 130km/h, you are never allowed to drive that fast’. I was kinda shocked, and replied, what if I took the car to autobahn, would the vibs then magically disappear?

However, they are keeping my car overnight and doing some more tests and driving tomorrow. I got an entry level 530e xDrive as a loaner, and done 300km on it so far. Not a single vibration has been present, butter smooth ride. Wish mine was like this too. This is on some standard 18 inch alloys and Nokian Hakkapeliitta non-studded winter tires.
I had 3 of my 4 rims bent in my BMW OEM winter tire set.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:27 AM   #74
Jul74
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520D

Dear all,

After buying a new set of tires (the other had just 1 month!) and using 16 tires to get the best possible outcome of balancing the wheels, the problem did not went away. The tires were fitted using road force balancing machine and the rims were tested without the tires and they are fine.
The vibrations improved a bit at lower speeds, but they are still there at 110 km/h or above.
Will complaint to BMW as my car is a BMW lease with full maintenance included.

Will let you know if I've further news.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #75
Bmw g30
Rep

Further update on my side:

Today, I took a test drive in my new 520d touring (replacement) hoping that it would drive smoothly but guess what?! Same annoying vibrations on two different set of rims... unbelievable!!! Having signed the paperwork 2 weeks ago we are now going to cancel the deal as I am fed up with the 5 series. just to wrap up ..I have now tried 5 different 5 series and all of them had this issue!

Anyways, just to make sure that I´m not the problem I drove the new 3 series after my trip with the brand new 520d (had driven the 3 series a couple times before). It is remarkable how much better this car is than the 5 series wrt. smootheness, stability on highway..quite impressing.

Dediced to place a new order on the 3 series (g20). Yeah, I know ..the sound insulation is not as good as the 5 series and the cabin space is not impressive etc... after all I just want a car that drives as a premium car.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #76
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Wonder what's so special about 520d, but at least as far as 540 goes, no complaints
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #77
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport

Any updates on this, anyone?

BMW dealer finally did the roadforce balance and alignment on my car. I think that made the symptoms slightly less noticeable, but it is still not perfect. BMW dealer filed my comments on the case and I am now waiting for BMW for any additional information.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 03:04 AM   #78
Jul74
Rep

My 520D G31 is going back to BMW. After a survey in which I gave a low score if I would recommend BMW the issue is now being followed up by BMW. Going back to check the issue with BMW in January.
In the meanwhile I drove this weekend with the trunk full and the problem was less noticeable. My guess is that this has something to do with the rear axle and/or the rear air suspension...
I'll be back with further news...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #79
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

My car is a sedan so there is no air suspension in the rear, so that is not the cause unless you have a different issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #80
Bmw g30
Rep

As posted several times the problem has been confirmed by the dealer but they are helpless as the factory in Bayern has not introduced any measures. The upcoming facelift may solve the issue. The problem is also becoming complicated as only few people actually complains about the vibrations which is unbeliavable to me.

I have just received my new 330d with a huge discount thanks to BMW Denmark which is very service minded. I ended up paying only 2/3 of the list price for the car. According to the dealer I was the 3rd unhappy 5 series owner which was compensated.

I would recommend the same approach if you can’t live with the problem. Bmw is aware of the issue but will only take action if you insist!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #81
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

I doubt I would ever get any compensation from BMW in Finland. They are doing their best to avoid their responsibilities. How did you even get them to compensate for your new car? How did that process go in general?

Last edited by AFinnish530e; 12-24-2019 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:13 AM   #82
Bmw g30
Rep

Afinnish,

the process was slow but easy. After multiple attemps to solve the problem I ended up with a aftermarked manager which emphasized that this was the characteristic of the car. Back then I did not believe him so I formalized my complaint by sending him an email and the head of the dealer. I mentioned that I was planning to contact another service partner and if they could confirm the fault I would return the car (initiate legal process). After consulting several service partners/ dealers and a legal adviser I invited the head of the dealer to a meeting. We discussed several options and he asked me if I would be interessed in a new car if he could convince BMW dk to give me a compensation which I gladly accepted. As mentioned previously we made a deal on a brand new touring which turned out to be even worse than mine. We cancelled the deal again !

I’m not sure how Bmw operates in different countries but know for sure that Contacting the head of the dealer clarified the way forward. He was very open, honest and helpfull.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #83
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

2020 530e with 18" Pirelli P7 all-season RF and DDC. Just took delivery. Checked for vibration before delivery:none, so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #84
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

Quote:
Any updates on this, anyone?

BMW dealer finally did the roadforce balance and alignment on my car. I think that made the symptoms slightly less noticeable, but it is still not perfect. BMW dealer filed my comments on the case and I am now waiting for BMW for any additional information.
Tbh, I'm thinking it should be easy to eliminate tires entirely. If you think that the loaner rode fine, just put those tires into your car and see how they work in yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #85
Jul74
Rep

After 2 weeks at a Bmw dealership the car cameback the same. The vibrations are more noticeable now closer to 140km/h though, but still quite annoying and unacceptable for any car and especially a Bmw five series.
Will complain to BMW directly...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #86
smudge973
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d Msport - no longer

Here in the UK, my car was delivered on the 20th of December, I noticed this issue on the motorway.. after 5 weeks and lots of attempts to solve they couldn't.. then told me it was normal..

Yesterday the car was rejected, dropped back at the dealer and now the search continues

530d Msport saloon with 20"759 wheels

Gutted as it's a stunning car, but horrible at speed
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #87
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

2020 M550i xD

Just came back from the dealer. have the car (2020 M550i xD) for a couple of months but not much highway driving, NY/NJ area (read terrible roads). Started noticing a constant vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal at speeds over 60mph to the point it was getting annoying. Went to the dealer this morning and they checked the wheels, verdict: front and back left rims bent (they are 19"!!!)! What a bummer, as I never hit any pothole badly enough to get concerned. Front left is visible during the rotation but can't see much of a bending on the rear, but they say it is there, anyway, agreed to get them straightened in-house by that dealer and added alignment just in case. Cost after small discount: rim straightening $400 ($200 per wheel) + $200 alignment. I know that it can be done cheaper but didn't want to spend more time on this. Disappointed with BMW rim alloy quality... had 20" and 21" before on Porsches, Audis and few other earlier BMWs and never had a rim bent... such a bummer, especially on 19". They definitely need to improve the alloy quality, so brittle! Will report back if the vibration is still there after repairs.

Last edited by toxic_bimmer; 02-05-2020 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #88
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
Just came back from the dealer. have the car (2020 M550i xD) for a couple of months but not much highway driving, NY/NJ area (read terrible roads). Started noticing a constant vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal at speeds over 60mph to the point it was getting annoying. Went to the dealer this morning and they checked the wheels, verdict: front and back left rims bent (they are 19"!!!)! What a bummer, as I never hit any pothole badly enough to get concerned. Front left is visible during the rotation but can't see much of a bending on the rear, but they say it is there, anyway, agreed to get them straightened in-house by that dealer and added alignment just in case. Cost after small discount: rim straightening $400 ($200 per wheel) + $200 alignment. I know that it can be done cheaper but didn't want to spend more time on this. Disappointed at BMW rim alloy quality... had 20" and 21" before on Porsches, Audis and few other earlier BMWs and never had a rim bent... such a bummer, especially on 19". They definitely need to improve the alloy quality, so brittle! Will report back if the vibration is still there after repairs.
I'm in north East one reason why I went with the smallest rim (18 for 540)
Appreciate 0