BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Doing the elliptical but still not losing

10-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
yearningirish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi

Doing the elliptical but still not losing

Hi,

I've been struggling to lose weight for the past two years now. I've tried bicycling and running but I would always quit after a few months because it gets harder for me to go outdoors with my obligations. Recently, I tried the elliptical machine and I was amazed by the results initially. But lately, it has been really frustrating because I'm not losing it anymore.

What could have gone wrong? Do I need to increase frequency? Appreciate your help on this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

See the thread about Active/fat. Weight lose will come from DIET and exercise.

ie Last night I ran for ~35 minutes. Don't have a tracker any more and went on a new path, so not sure how far. Probably burned 275-300 calories. After dinner I walked down to the local store to pick up a gallon of milk. Happened to pick up a Zebra cake as well (270 calories) and made a few pulls on the milk carton (at least 75-100 calories) on the way home. So all that work on the street was canceled by my trip to the store.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM49604.00
PoorLurker1078.50

10-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
nilaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Try to control your calories. Only by exercise you cannot loose wait.

In order to loose wait you have to consider that is 70% calories and 30% exercise.

Running is very effective and you do need more than 30 mins per time for two times per week in order to develop a good healthy life.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
E92M3GT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Been there, done that and successful !

- First do diet and be strict with what you eat; after a few months of diet you will reach the desired weight level

- During diet, do not run or use the elliptical machine. Just walk to be healthy

- Once you reach your desired weight level, do more exercise to mantain your body and tonify it

80% of weight loss depends on a diet, 20% is exercise

Just sharing my experience and knowledge about this

Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Seems like your body is use to what your doing and it doesn't need as much energy to complete the same tasks as when you first started. You have a few options. Focus on your diet maybe slightly decreasing your caloric intake while still doing the same amount of cardio. Increasing the difficulty on the elliptical is another way to shock your body and will definitely garner more energy to be extended. Or increase the time on the elliptical. You could also try another form cardio, that would again require a different set of movements to be done. Healthy weight loss is difficult these days man but you can do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

90% diet
I shot you a PM with the online coach I have been using for a year now and so have a bunch of my personal friends who have all experience amazing results.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Bach:jbach@stevethomasbmw.com Cell:805-807-1989
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy B PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Wolf 335
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearningirish View Post
Hi,

I've been struggling to lose weight for the past two years now. I've tried bicycling and running but I would always quit after a few months because it gets harder for me to go outdoors with my obligations. Recently, I tried the elliptical machine and I was amazed by the results initially. But lately, it has been really frustrating because I'm not losing it anymore.

What could have gone wrong? Do I need to increase frequency? Appreciate your help on this one.

I think you need to add variation to the exercises. You're likely plateauing.

I'd recommend you alternate between 3-4 different cardio exercises so your body is constantly getting shocked.

If you can download P90X CardioX session (one of many workouts incorporated in the P90X plan) and also YogaX. I used to skip yoga, until one day I tried it and was breaking a sweat like a virgin at prom night. You will be breaking a sweat 100% and you'll notice results.

Variation is key and of course diet, because if you're smashing bad foods after or between you cardio sessions, you're simply defeating the purpose.

Oh and cut out cow milk as it's simply bad for you in general!

Day1: Eliptical + Situps
Day 2: P90X Cardio X
Day3: Yoga X
Day4: Jog outside
Day 5: Eliptical + Pushups
Day 6: P90X Cardio X
Day 7: Rest
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
trynalivepro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Time for some weight management supplements
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 zcp space grey

to lose weight you have to have a net negative calorie in take (use more calories than you eat)

way easier to gain 300k cal (1.5 snicker bar) than burn it (run 1/2 hr).

use phone app like "lose it" to track what you it. you might found it surprising how easier to eat a few hundred k cals more just by nibbling here and there...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

For me if your doing the elliptical watching television and keeping an average pace that is comfortable and not getting any burn in the muscles then yes - after a few weeks or months of that pace your results will taper.
If you warm up on the elliptical and make a distinct effort to use the hardest settings, to go as fast as you can in different settings, to max out for thirty-seconds, recover for thirty and repeat for fifteen or twenty minutes. To do forward and backwards - to utilize the machine to it's max as opppsed to making 40 or 50 or 60 minute workouts at average intensity, if you really aim for lots of really difficult short spurts then the elliptical may provide you with great results.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Create a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. How you go about doing that is up to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I've struggled with weight since I was a teenager. I've always blamed it on genetics, slow metabolism, insulin resistance etc.
6 years ago I got to 250+ lbs and started to feel like shit all over.
I've done plenty of research over the years but one thing I did not try until then was ultra low carb with weekly re-feeds while lifting heavy. And by that I mean squats, presses and deadlifts with a barbell and until failure - nothing fancy, basic stuff.

So for two years I have consistently had only two low carb meals daily, went to the gym and lifted weights (made pretty good progress btw) and replenished my carbs on the weekends while doing no cardio at all.
I went down from pant size 42 to 34 - lost plenty of fat and gained pretty decent amount of muscle... I got strong and my immune system went nuts.... I honestly do not remember when was the last time I got a cold, much less anything more serious.

Best part is, I now no longer have to be on a strict diet, in fact I have been eating pretty much like a "regular" person, except that I don't eat very much AND I stay away from sugar as a routine (though I am not extreme about it).
I also keep a pretty active lifestyle... I have traded my IT support desk job for physical work in our IT distribution warehouse - yes, that means lifting boxes all day and shit.

4 years later I'm still size 34 and have not been sick in years.
I think somehow the way my body was handling sugar has radically changed.
I am 54 btw, so it looks like it is never to late to shake the very foundation of what is wrong with your hormones...

But to make the long story short, I truly believe elliptical won't do, unfortunately...
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
imserious
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

I feel bad for people who put so much effort into exercise and don't lose weight.

Simply put you exercise to gain muscle. You change your diet to lose weight. This becomes more true as you age and your body's ability to deal with calories changes.

Yes, there is some nuance to this, but not much.

Skinny people doing youtube exercise videos on how to be skinny is not reality, sorry. Most have never had to lose weight and wrongly attribute their body composition to some new workout routine. Nope, they just had good genetics all their life.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
bvrider1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

This right here is the key.

I lost over 30 lbs by NOT over complicating things.

Eat clean and exercise. You need to make that deficit.

Now I am trimmed and in the best shape of my life and I am 37 yrs old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Create a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. How you go about doing that is up to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #15
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
If #1 & #2 are not the issue then it's normally #3...

https://www.jillianmichaels.com/blog...t-loss-plateau
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #16
infinitekidM2C
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

ie Last night I ran for ~35 minutes. Don't have a tracker any more and went on a new path, so not sure how far. Probably burned 275-300 calories. After dinner I walked down to the local store to pick up a gallon of milk. Happened to pick up a Zebra cake as well (270 calories) and made a few pulls on the milk carton (at least 75-100 calories) on the way home. So all that work on the street was canceled by my trip to the store.
Zebra cake lol. Once in a while i look at a packaged snowball that's bright green and think it would be fun to eat it but i remember running my ass on the treadmill and say hell naw.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Zebra cake lol. Once in a while i look at a packaged snowball that's bright green and think it would be fun to eat it but i remember running my ass on the treadmill and say hell naw.
Oh, I know full well there is SOMETHING in there because for $.50, they don't even really taste all that good, but I can hear one calling me even now. I went to get milk so my son could have breakfast the next day. Yeah, that the ticket!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Many times I have looked at a food and said, "nope not worth the calories"

There have been times that I have said, this is worth every calorie too.

If people knew that exercising for an hour burns about 600 calories, that twinkie might be a bit different in terms of appeal.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Eating less = losing weight

Exercising = gaining fitness

I'm 55-60 pounds lost for more than a year now. Used MyFitnessPal phone app to log my food and stay within my daily calorie goal. I've logged everything i've eaten for 830 days straight. Takes about 6 min a day to enter my food. That free app is worth every penny.
      10-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #20
FutureHendr1x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 Msport

As a fitness enthusiast, its diet mainly. You need to start counting your calories, and you need to look into HIT training.

Look up MorelliFit he has lots of info on HIT training, also change all your carbs to sweet potatoe and only sweet potatoe, and just by doing that you will start loosing weight.

Look into boxing, im a boxer and lifter and in boxing you shed a lot since is lots of cardio and Hi intensity work.

good luck my dud
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #21
Dlpfcb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Couldnt agree More with E92M3GT that is spot on. Dieting first allows your body to adjust and repair itself by eating better. Limiting meat and dairy will give you more energy and allow you to push harder in your workouts. Doing the diet first also will put less strain on your muscles because your carrying less weight. Just watch what your taking in for calories. For example most oil is 120 calories in just 1 TB.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #22
yearningirish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: audi

Hi!

Thanks for all your great advice. It's inspiring to know that I'm not alone in this. I've also had cyber friends from anonymous chat rooms that tell me I'm plateauing and that I should incorporate new routines.

Has anyone tried cross fit training? How do you find it? Do you think it would help me lose weight fast?
Appreciate 0