BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > XCAR - 2016 BMW M2: All The Details And Engine Noise

12-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #45
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Does anyone know the OEM wheel sizes on the M2? Are these the same as the 437M or are they narrower?
They are the M437 en thus the same as those on the M3/M4
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=36_2028
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #46
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
I don't know how much longer I can keep blaming "the camera". I don't like how the M2 looks in the video.

Aw you see I think it looks great, especially in the shots where it's in the background under dim lighting. Looks mega aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #47
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I agree it looks weird...very Japanese.

I do like the sound though! N55s sound good with the performance exhausts and tuning....waaaaay better than the S55! The N55 sounds how a BMW should sound.

Glad they mentioned it's not as bonkers looking as the 1M because it isn't!

So the UK is only getting a few hundred M2s? didn't realize they were gonna limit it so much...I guess a 5 year production cycle will help though.

Looking forward to seeing an actual review rather than these photoshoot videos and promo-like stuff
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #48
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag
The sound of a car revving while in park is not a good indicator of what it sounds like. You need to engage it into gear and go WOT, the sounds is dramatically louder and different in every way.

As far as everyone still on the "wish it had this... and that... and what not"; it is what it is. It will be over $10k less than the M3/4 and BMW didn't think it was profitable to add more stuff for reasons they only know. Get use to it and accept the car for what it is or go look elsewhere.
Speaking for myself, I'm on several dealer's waitlist for M2. I'm crazy about getting this car because I do know it will drive great and it's affordable for me. BUT just because it will have amazing driving dynamics doesn't mean that I don't get to criticize the aspects that I don't like. Will the lack of an amazing exhaust sound change my mind about getting an M2? NO! We are just sharing our opinions about the car here.

On the other hand, the car that costs $10k more and BMW did think it was profitable to add more stuff doesn't sound how it's supposed to sound either. So, it's not only about how much the car costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #49
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Does anyone know the OEM wheel sizes on the M2? Are these the same as the 437M or are they narrower?
Same wheels, 245 and 265 tires though so narrower rubber than the M3/4.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #50
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

Sounds a lot like my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #51
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol
Quote:
They are the M437 en thus the same as those on the M3/M4
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=36_2028
Ah damn! Was really hoping these were 19x8,5 or something so I could rock originals on my F36!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #52
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I believe that in non-M Fxx vehicles, during the day the cluster is white and at night it changes to orange
Cluster stays orange in the non-M Fxx vehicles. However, the HUD does change from white to orange at night.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #53
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BSM F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
The sound is actually pretty good. You have to realize it was started and reved in a photography studio.

If you listen to it without preconceived notions it doesn't sound flat, and that is with reverb echoing off the nearest wall and ceiling.

As you most likely know there will also be plenty of sound options available in a short time after release from seemingly thousands of "tuners" across the globe.

Down pipe, intake, x-pipe and exhaust system will give it more sound "character" to suit your ear.
But why do you have to heavily modify an M-car (sometimes beyond legal means) just to make it sound good? AMGs (even that 2.0 4cyl A45), Porsche, Audi RS (heck even the normal Audi S) already sound pretty awesome off the assembly line.
Just taken delivery of a Cayman GT4. The exhaust on the GT4 is absolutely amazing makes my 1M sound very quiet! It is an incredible experience to drive. Still love my 1M but the GT4 moves the game on by some margin. Will be interesting to see where the M2 fits against such cars.
Congrats on the GT4. My client didn't listen to me about getting one, since he has an order on the 991 GT3 RS and I made him get an M4 GTS!

Sound is completely subjective as are looks. The Cayman should have the sound to go with its its looks and purpose. But if it didn't that wouldn't stop people from buying one and it ultimately being sold out.
Quite the client!! That's a wicked combo.

This M2 does seem interesting though...

South Florida Real Estate
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #54
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Speaking for myself, I'm on several dealer's waitlist for M2. I'm crazy about getting this car because I do know it will drive great and it's affordable for me. BUT just because it will have amazing driving dynamics doesn't mean that I don't get to criticize the aspects that I don't like. Will the lack of an amazing exhaust sound change my mind about getting an M2? NO! We are just sharing our opinions about the car here.

On the other hand, the car that costs $10k more and BMW did think it was profitable to add more stuff doesn't sound how it's supposed to sound either. So, it's not only about how much the car costs.
Maybe you're new to the conversation, but the criticism for lack of features has been going on for nearly two months with the same complaints, over and over. This goes back to my earlier point, either accept the car for what it is or move on. If I offend it's not intentionally, just that the repetitive same old criticisms are getting old quick
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #55
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Cluster stays orange in the non-M Fxx vehicles. However, the HUD does change from white to orange at night.
I just drove an LCI X3 and it went from white to orange, the iDrive went into night mode as well. There's an option in the settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #56
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Maybe you're new to the conversation, but the criticism for lack of features has been going on for nearly two months with the same complaints, over and over. This goes back to my earlier point, either accept the car for what it is or move on. If I offend it's not intentionally, just that the repetitive same old criticisms are getting old quick
I see... I'm aware of the complaints and whining going on since the beginning. i don't care about the mirrors. Although I would like to have CF roof, M buttons on the steering etc, these are not a deal breaker for me considering the cost of the car.

However, the point in my first post in this thread was totally different (maybe your initial post was not referring to my criticism there). I said "It doesn't sound as good here as it did other videos". Initial videos and soundtracks sounded a lot better than this and I LOVED that sound. I even thought I might not need MPE. However, this video kinda makes me think that those initial videos/soundtracks might have been "adjusted" a little bit. Again, I know M2 will be an "ultimate driving machine" with its M3/M4 bits and dynamics
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #57
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

"... pretty chuffing aggressive."

Ya gotta love the Anglais.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #58
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sounds like a throaty N55, love it. Things going to be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #59
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Convertible

I'm on several wait lists as well here and will make the final decision once I see one in person. I have a refundable deposit down at 3 dealers. Hoping that this is as good as we are all hoping. I don't want anything larger than a 2 series....
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #60
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I think the first thing I would do if I bought this car is find some silver 437M's from a F8x.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #61
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Add a DP and she'll purr...
My N55 was sort of a muted version of that, but the MPE and chatted DP helped immensely to get an exotic, drone free sound.
An open air filter also adds some character, so tons of options to amp the sound on an M2 N55!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #62
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I just drove an LCI X3 and it went from white to orange, the iDrive went into night mode as well. There's an option in the settings.
Ah good catch. I was only thinking about F2x and F3x cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #63
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
The sound is actually pretty good. You have to realize it was started and reved in a photography studio.

If you listen to it without preconceived notions it doesn't sound flat, and that is with reverb echoing off the nearest wall and ceiling.

As you most likely know there will also be plenty of sound options available in a short time after release from seemingly thousands of "tuners" across the globe.

Down pipe, intake, x-pipe and exhaust system will give it more sound "character" to suit your ear.
But why do you have to heavily modify an M-car (sometimes beyond legal means) just to make it sound good? AMGs (even that 2.0 4cyl A45), Porsche, Audi RS (heck even the normal Audi S) already sound pretty awesome off the assembly line.
I don't particularly care if an Audi sounds good in stock form and is not a perquisite to the consideration to purchase a car.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a FWD-based car heavily modified to be suitable anyway.

The M2 may have a sound profile that is undesirable to some or possibly to lot of people. But that really shouldn't be a deterrent to a RWD, manual transmission, fender flared, turbo charged, almost E46 M3-sized M car from BMW M GmbH now should it?

Not everyone wants a stock car. OEM manufacturers have multiple countries that they need to adhere to their noise and pollution requirements.

That is why the aftermarket exists, to offer products to consumers that want more. They desire more sound, more handling, more looks, more performance, more speed or just plain more of everything.

And yes, if one owns an Audi, Porsche or BMW there are an exceedingly large amount of aftermarket options to get ones car look, sound or handle the way they want it to.

The OEM+ M Performance exhaust and possible M Power Kit are conceived by BMW M to offer more (slight) performance without the risk to owners looking for more performance, while also adding peace of mind with a factory warranty.

And it is very profitable for them (BMW) to offer OEM+components instead of letting that owner go to the aftermarket and spend thousands of dollars on parts, and in most cases are unproven and untested parts.
I agree with the guy you were responding to not your long winded excuses. Is it asking to damn much for an M car to sound great out of the box these days? Why does it have to be controversial? If you wanna mod it knock yourself out but that should not be a requirement for decent sound. Not at this price. Sound my friend is a key ingredient for the overall experience. Between the sound and steering systems of these new M's I gotta say it's a turnoff.
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #64
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Well, that was close to a commercial...nonetheless, I am still very excited about the M2.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 12:17 AM   #65
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Still needs Sakhir Orange, Valencia Orange, or some red colorway
      12-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #66
juniortabak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
Is it just me or does it sound like a regular N55, nothing really special to differentiate it.
No, it's not just you!!! and the exhaust looks bit small/thin.

For me the M Should be more M its looks like BMW lost something while designing.

From my point of view value for $$$ in my Country (Israel) the M235 and M135
will do the same in very less $$$.

Last edited by juniortabak; 12-08-2015 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0