BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New tires and tire settings FYI

11-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Bill530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

New tires and tire settings FYI

Hi everyone,

I had an issue yesterday with the tire pressure monitoring system when I replaced a full set of tires (Pirelli run-flats) on my 2018 530e and found something out that might be useful to others.

As I was driving away I had to "perform reset" on my tire pressure menu under "Vehicle Settings." After completing the reset cycle and watching the percentage slowly increase, I noticed that the passenger side wheels on the tire pressure monitor was reversed, meaning 35 psi was on the back wheel while the front had the 41 psi. On the driver side, things were correct with the monitor showing 35 psi in front and 41 psi in back. I got out and manually checked the passenger side using a pressure gauge, but physically the pressures were correct, meaning 35 psi was in front and 41 was in back. I tried performing the reset again, but still had the same issue.

To fix this, I discovered that you actually need to enter the type of tire the car has under "tire type" for both "winter" and "summer" and also selecting the correct wheel diameter (18" or 19" or "other tires). Once I selected my size 18" it automatically displayed the recommended psi. I did another "perform reset", drove around, and the issue was fixed! 35 in front, 41 in back. I called the tire store manager to advise him of this for newer BMWs, and we both learned something new.

Regards,
Bill
Appreciate 1
cna90176.00
      11-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Your car has square tire setup (same tire size front and rear)? If so, I suspect the tire shop removed the passenger rear wheel and returned it to the passenger front. This caused the tpms sensors to read reversed on the passenger side until you did a full tpms reset.