E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone have experience with Lambswool seat covers?

02-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Anyone have experience with Lambswool seat covers?

Cool in the summer and warm in the winter, I hear.

I'm fantasizing of my leatherette being covered in it. Seems comfy. I do not love my leatherette, but I don't love leather either.

Experience?

Input?

Brands?

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

My Aunt and Uncle have Lambswool seat covers. They're not too hot or cool but they're just too plush and soft for me. I personally like a seat that almost grabs me and holds me so some firmness is good. If you like that kind of soft almost fluffy feel you'll probably like em.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
whenever i leave AR for the big city, i seem to see them a lot in taxicabs...
      02-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

I have the Merino Lambs Wool vests on both of
my E46's with 'ette.

They are warm in winter, cool in summer and my seats look like they have never been used.

Wouldn't own a car without adding this option. I prefer the vests to the complete seat cover, as I like the contrast.

Last edited by stubenhocker; 02-24-2006 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: correct error
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
bimmerpilot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1993 325is green

lambswool? YES!

In 1985, I bought a 323is 4 door sedan (yes, that's right) in Germany and had it Federalized here. It had cloth sport seats, which I knew weren't going to last so I had the front seats covered with Ramus (out of business now) sheepskin covers. They are cooler in summer and warmer in winter. I drove that car for 120,000+ miles and had the sheepskins repaired once in 14 years. The covers were so good that I put a full set of sheeps on my 1987 535is which were still on it when we replaced it with a 1993 325is. The first thing I did with that was put a set of sheeps on the front seats. Have 113,000+ miles on it and when I replace it with an E90, that gets sheeps, too. Unless you carry a lot of people in the back seat or just want the rears to match the fronts, I wouldn't bother covering the rear seats - but that's your call. Don't bother with the slip-on covers that BMW sells - you should get full custom-fit covers and probably get the covers for the headrests. Just remember, you get what you pay for! Don't skimp on price if you plan on keeping the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubenhocker
I have the Merino Lambs Wool vests on both of
my E46's with 'ette.

They are warm in winter, cool in summer and my seats look like they have never been used.

Wouldn't own a car without adding this option. I prefer the vests to the complete seat cover, as I like the contrast.
Please let me know where you got them. I'd love to see pics.

Also, do they slide around?

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
mmeads
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

eww.
      02-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerpilot
In 1985, I bought a 323is 4 door sedan (yes, that's right) in Germany and had it Federalized here. It had cloth sport seats, which I knew weren't going to last so I had the front seats covered with Ramus (out of business now) sheepskin covers. They are cooler in summer and warmer in winter. I drove that car for 120,000+ miles and had the sheepskins repaired once in 14 years. The covers were so good that I put a full set of sheeps on my 1987 535is which were still on it when we replaced it with a 1993 325is. The first thing I did with that was put a set of sheeps on the front seats. Have 113,000+ miles on it and when I replace it with an E90, that gets sheeps, too. Unless you carry a lot of people in the back seat or just want the rears to match the fronts, I wouldn't bother covering the rear seats - but that's your call. Don't bother with the slip-on covers that BMW sells - you should get full custom-fit covers and probably get the covers for the headrests. Just remember, you get what you pay for! Don't skimp on price if you plan on keeping the car.
Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with these. I've seen a lot of ads in the back of Roundel for the "custom-fit" type, but I wish I could find a place that'd let em try them out.

I will research it a bit more.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
topogo
Rep
Drives: 323i

I bought custom top of the line sheepskin covers from Shear Comfort. Paid $400.00 Cdn. and was the best investment for the buck. Sitting on leatherette is like sitting on a plastic garbage bag. You are sweating constantly, in winter or summer. The sheepskin is extremely soft and provides that extra breathing space between you and the seat. Highly recommend jet black. Excellent contrast with the rest of the interior. I do have heated seats but up here in the north, you are still shocked when you first sit down on cold vinyl and there is a 30 second timeframe for the seat to warm up. The sheepskin is immediately comfortable. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by topogo
I bought custom top of the line sheepskin covers from Shear Comfort. Paid $400.00 Cdn. and was the best investment for the buck. Sitting on leatherette is like sitting on a plastic garbage bag. You are sweating constantly, in winter or summer. The sheepskin is extremely soft and provides that extra breathing space between you and the seat. Highly recommend jet black. Excellent contrast with the rest of the interior. I do have heated seats but up here in the north, you are still shocked when you first sit down on cold vinyl and there is a 30 second timeframe for the seat to warm up. The sheepskin is immediately comfortable. Love it!
Great response.

Does the heat get through the cover well?

Also, do these covers block the side airbags!?! I may have to go with the vests.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
topogo
Rep
Drives: 323i

Yep, the heat does transfer through, however, it does take a couple of minutes compared to the direct heat transfer that happens in seconds. There is an allowance or custom fit that allows for side air bags. The set of seat covers that I purchased actually do not completely wrap around the side, so I believe that there is room for the airbag to deploy. Hopefully, I'll never have to test it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sounds comfy and relaxing.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, the heat does transfer through, however, it does take a couple of minutes compared to the direct heat transfer that happens in seconds. There is an allowance or custom fit that allows for side air bags. The set of seat covers that I purchased actually do not completely wrap around the side, so I believe that there is room for the airbag to deploy. Hopefully, I'll never have to test it out.
Great. Thanks for your help.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

Quote:
I had a look at the website for Shear Comfort and have a few questions;

1. I have powered sports seats. The sheepskin looks like it would cover the buttons for operating the seat controls. How do you access the pushbuttons or manual controls as the case may be, with your cover installed?

2. I had a sheepskin cover on a previous car. It looked fine from the front but the back (which is never shown in advertising photographs) was really ugly. What does the Shear Comfort back look like? Is the back of the seat covered with something or are there exposed straps, bungee cords or whatever to keep the cover in place?

3. Are the net pockets on the backs of the seats still usable somehow with the seat covers installed?

4. Did you mail order the covers or buy them from a local dealer in Toronto that sells them?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm not interested in getting them but pictures would be nice