BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Geico MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance)

10-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #67
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Sorry to bump an old thread, is MBI still usable while I’m under factory warranty? I was tuned so if the dealer notices (stock now), I would just use MBI for my issue.

Poochie any insight?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #68
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, is MBI still usable while I'm under factory warranty? I was tuned so if the dealer notices (stock now), I would just use MBI for my issue.

Poochie any insight?

Thanks!
Hey, to answer your question; yes, you certainly can use the MBI coverage durning your factory warranty tenure.

In fact, their deductible is set at only $100 when your factory warranty is still active and $250 when it expires, so their is an advantage.

However, MBI is considered a "secondary" insurance coverage, meaning that the dealer has to deny a warranty claim (or your factory warranty has to be expired) then the MBI coverage kicks in and picks up the slack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #69
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Sorry to bump an old thread, is MBI still usable while I'm under factory warranty? I was tuned so if the dealer notices (stock now), I would just use MBI for my issue.

Poochie any insight?

Thanks!
Hey, to answer your question; yes, you certainly can use the MBI coverage durning your factory warranty tenure.

In fact, their deductible is set at only $100 when your factory warranty is still active and $250 when it expires, so their is an advantage.

However, MBI is considered a "secondary" insurance coverage, meaning that the dealer has to deny a warranty claim, then the MBI coverage kicks in and picks up the slack.
Dude I'm so fucking happy I bought this when I bought the car, I'm just going to take it into the dealership without worry now.

Thanks Poochie
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #70
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I try to make sure to put my 2 cents in when I see any insurance thread. Just want everyone who doesn't know that most insurance companies do not replace the cost of brand new OEM parts instead they will cover the cost of their certified parts. However when a warranty claim comes up and you do not have brand new OEM replacement parts it could impact your claim. Just keep that in mind. A lot of the cheaper insurance companies follow this so be aware. Chances are most do not know this till they go to make a claim. We see it a lot, if you are not sure what your binder/policy looks like I suggest you ask your insurance and see if you can make sure there is a footnote that any issues they will cover the cost to replace with brand new OEM parts and not third party parts.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      10-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #71
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I try to make sure to put my 2 cents in when I see any insurance thread. Just want everyone who doesn't know that most insurance companies do not replace the cost of brand new OEM parts instead they will cover the cost of their certified parts. However when a warranty claim comes up and you do not have brand new OEM replacement parts it could impact your claim. Just keep that in mind. A lot of the cheaper insurance companies follow this so be aware. Chances are most do not know this till they go to make a claim. We see it a lot, if you are not sure what your binder/policy looks like I suggest you ask your insurance and see if you can make sure there is a footnote that any issues they will cover the cost to replace with brand new OEM parts and not third party parts.
Most definitely a good point but I will be getting the work done at a dealership anyways. Just will use this insurance to pay out if need be.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10719.50
      10-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #72
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Poochie don't mean to be an annoyance, sent you a PM for advice.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #73
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Most definitely a good point but I will be getting the work done at a dealership anyways. Just will use this insurance to pay out if need be.
A thought on this point. Someone hit my passenger side while I was parked and left. Put dents in both passenger side doors.

My insurance carrier is GEICO. The collision center associated with my dealership is not on the GEICO approved list but the collision center associated with a different BMW dealer is. So I went with the GEICO referral but selected the center that is part of the other BMW dealership.

My point is to check out this kind of situation. Most of us prefer to deal with body shops that are associated with our dealerships but there may be an alternative solution if your is not on the list.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #74
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
How is a BMW dealer going to get certified parts? You can bring your car to any shop including dealers and they will reimburse the dealer/shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #75
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
How is a BMW dealer going to get certified parts? You can bring your car to any shop including dealers and they will reimburse the dealer/shop.
how can a BMW dealer get certified parts? BMW dealers only sell OEM brand new parts. Insurance companies will give you a shop they work with which gets its own parts usually are 3rd party parts and not bought direct from BMW dealers to save money. They could be made in china or used parts that are re certified etc.. The insurance companies will say they cover their parts, thats great however BMW warranty does not they only cover OEM BMW brand new parts. So if you hit a deer say, and the insurance company sends you to a shop that shop uses 3rd party parts and something goes wrong later on and you take it into BMW dealer under warranty and they see you do not have BMW OEM certified parts your warranty will be voided and you are stuck fighting your insurance company, good luck. The insurance company will cover that particular part, but not anything else.

Just always make sure you have it in your policy that they cover the replacement parts as only BRAND NEW OEM BMW PARTS and you should be good. A lot of these cut rate insurance companies may save you up front but you have to be careful bc sometimes when you really need it you get what you pay for.

Just want to make sure everyone know so they ask their insurance agent or provider to make sure they get a clear answer and also dial that in so you don't have to deal with it heaven forbid anything happens.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #76
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
how can a BMW dealer get certified parts? BMW dealers only sell OEM brand new parts. Insurance companies will give you a shop they work with which gets its own parts usually are 3rd party parts and not bought direct from BMW dealers to save money. They could be made in china or used parts that are re certified etc.. The insurance companies will say they cover their parts, thats great however BMW warranty does not they only cover OEM BMW brand new parts. So if you hit a deer say, and the insurance company sends you to a shop that shop uses 3rd party parts and something goes wrong later on and you take it into BMW dealer under warranty and they see you do not have BMW OEM certified parts your warranty will be voided and you are stuck fighting your insurance company, good luck. The insurance company will cover that particular part, but not anything else.

Just always make sure you have it in your policy that they cover the replacement parts as only BRAND NEW OEM BMW PARTS and you should be good. A lot of these cut rate insurance companies may save you up front but you have to be careful bc sometimes when you really need it you get what you pay for.

Just want to make sure everyone know so they ask their insurance agent or provider to make sure they get a clear answer and also dial that in so you don't have to deal with it heaven forbid anything happens.
So you wrote an essay just to agree to what I was trying to say, which was that if you bring your car to a BMW dealer and make a claim with Geico MBI, you will be guaranteed to have new OEM parts.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      10-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #77
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
So you wrote an essay just to agree to what I was trying to say, which was that if you bring your car to a BMW dealer and make a claim with Geico MBI, you will be guaranteed to have new OEM parts.
essay? ok. im just trying to help here. Even if you bring it to a dealer and the dealer replaces your parts most insurance companies wont cover that bill they will cover the amount their parts would cost. So you would be on the hook for the difference. you need to check with your insurance company. Again we see this all the time, just trying to make sure people know so they are not caught off guard.

Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
pz6193275.50
      10-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #78
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
essay? ok. im just trying to help here. Even if you bring it to a dealer and the dealer replaces your parts most insurance companies wont cover that bill they will cover the amount their parts would cost. So you would be on the hook for the difference. you need to check with your insurance company. Again we see this all the time, just trying to make sure people know so they are not caught off guard.
GOLFFRR is right. GEICO is notorious for trying to pay for 3rd party parts rather than OEM. He's just trying to keep everyone informed. Insurance companies are weasels. We all know this.

This is ESPECIALLY true on claims where either you're at fault or no fault (although that doesn't really apply to the discussion on this thread since it's for MBI)
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10719.50
      10-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #79
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

yup I had a broken windshield on my 335i. the experience was less than ideal with geico. glue on my a-pillar and the new glass was a knock off so while my HUD still worked, LED lights and stuff would ghost at night. drove me crazy.

for most other things like interior bits, engines, full gearboxes I don't think there are cheaper 3rd party replacements ? but maybe geico would try to find used items rather than replace with a brand new gearbox or engine.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #80
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
yup I had a broken windshield on my 335i. the experience was less than ideal with geico. glue on my a-pillar and the new glass was a knock off so while my HUD still worked, LED lights and stuff would ghost at night. drove me crazy.

for most other things like interior bits, engines, full gearboxes I don't think there are cheaper 3rd party replacements ? but maybe geico would try to find used items rather than replace with a brand new gearbox or engine.
Sounds like you had a crappy installer. I’ve had multiple windshields replaced by Geico and they’ve all been OE. Also I’ve had accident claims with Geico and my bodyshop always insist on new OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #81
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
GOLFFRR is right. GEICO is notorious for trying to pay for 3rd party parts rather than OEM. He's just trying to keep everyone informed. Insurance companies are weasels. We all know this.

This is ESPECIALLY true on claims where either you're at fault or no fault (although that doesn't really apply to the discussion on this thread since it's for MBI)
Exactly this. I recently broke my windshield and was going to have the local dealership repair it under an insurance claim (Geico). Insurance would only cover about $800, which was the safelite price. The OEM glass alone was about 1300 plus the labor would have stuck me with a $1200 bill. Also fun fact, the safelite guy told me when you take the car to the dealership, 9 times out of 10 they just outsource it to them. Apparently the guy that did my car has done multiple cars at the local BMW dealership.

In the end I went with safelite and am happy to report that there were no issues. I carry MBI on my car as well through Geico, but haven't had to use it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #82
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post

I have Geico including MBI but I am still under OEM warranty. Someone hit my passenger side and disappeared (while I was parked). Dents on both passenger side doors. One of the GEICO approved body shops is from a company that has two local BMW dealerships. So I used that one. They first tried to repair the dents but weren't happy with the outcome and with GEICO's immediate approval, ordered replacement doors (they said doors but I assume they mean door skins). The order was with BMW.

I am supposed to get the car back on Monday.
Appreciate 0