BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 stereo

10-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #23
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
IMO the B&W system sounds very good overall. the highs are silky smooth, the mids clear and fairly accurate and the bass tight, but not plentiful for bass lovers.

In comparison, I find the HK good overall, but the hard dome tweeters can be harsh and inaccurate, the mids and bass tend to be slightly muddy. HK sound can be improved significantly with the EQ and by disabling logic 7 surround (barf).

If B&W was a max $2000 upgrade I'd say it's a no brainier. At $3400 I'd say it's for those who are willing to pay for moderately better sound. And, if you're the type who listens to satellite radio and thinks the audio quality is good, you'll never appreciate the B&W upgrade. Even Spotify sounds horrible to a good ear. I love the spotify interface, but instead use Amazon music due to its superior HD sound quality. If you disagree, my suggestion is to save your $ and stick with HK.

A car will never be an optimal listening environment. a moving car with ambient noise interfering with the audio system, is even worse.

My 2 cents.
Very well said and covers the way I evaluated the options available at the time I ordered.

I appreciate good sound and prefer FLAC audio due to its much richer and deeper sound. The HK was a no brainer option at $875 over the base system (and is now included in a package in the LCI to make it more common).

I expected B&W to be a lot better than it is from the reviews, but at the price point needed it is absurd I think. It looks nicer with the lights in the speaker grills and should sound slightly better due to the mic to help it auto adjust a bit better, but it is still a car sound system.

Unless you're going for absolutely fully loaded I'd skip it. Much better options to sink you money into on the car IMHO.

I still feel BMW should make the H&K system the base sound system and the B&W should be an upgrade included in the Executive Package. Similar to how MB does the Burmeister in the E-Class.
Appreciate 1
claykin1587.50
      10-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #24
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

To be quite honest, I never knew how much the B&W stereo cost. It was an included option on my M550. However, having heard it, compared to the HK on the loaners I get when in for service, I would not hesitate to purchase it, and can't imagine not doing so. Quality music, at least as much as one can get in a moving car, is very important to me. I use it more often than I do the quality performance, quite honestly. It enhances each driving experience for me. It is a huge part of the amenities I desire when I buy a premium auto. I realize quality components can be installed aftermarket which surpass any production product, I just don't have the desire to do that. My $.02. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
To be quite honest, I never knew how much the B&W stereo cost. It was an included option on my M550. However, having heard it, compared to the HK on the loaners I get when in for service, I would not hesitate to purchase it, and can't imagine not doing so. Quality music, at least as much as one can get in a moving car, is very important to me. I use it more often than I do the quality performance, quite honestly. It enhances each driving experience for me. It is a huge part of the amenities I desire when I buy a premium auto. I realize quality components can be installed aftermarket which surpass any production product, I just don't have the desire to do that. My $.02. YMMV.
If you're buying used CPO or otherwise, I'd agree the B&W is a no-brainer to pick up. In the used market options rarely push the price of the car up much.

But I'm still convinced that MB does a much better job with regards to the sound stage in their cars. In my MB the H&K system sounds better than the H&K in my G30 and from a report here, at least, the Burmeister in the E-Class is a much better sounding system than the B&W at a much cheaper cost on the E-Class. If sound is the most important thing than I would say the E-Class is likely the better car. Especially once you include the acoustic package which further reduces road noise (not an option on the G30 at all).

But to add another $4200 (in MY2020) onto my $70K build? Not worth it IMHO. Especially for a marginal sound improvement.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #26
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
IMO the B&W system sounds very good overall. the highs are silky smooth, the mids clear and fairly accurate and the bass tight, but not plentiful for bass lovers.

In comparison, I find the HK good overall, but the hard dome tweeters can be harsh and inaccurate, the mids and bass tend to be slightly muddy. HK sound can be improved significantly with the EQ and by disabling logic 7 surround (barf).

If B&W was a max $2000 upgrade I'd say it's a no brainier. At $3400 I'd say it's for those who are willing to pay for moderately better sound. And, if you're the type who listens to satellite radio and thinks the audio quality is good, you'll never appreciate the B&W upgrade. Even Spotify sounds horrible to a good ear. I love the spotify interface, but instead use Amazon music due to its superior HD sound quality. If you disagree, my suggestion is to save your $ and stick with HK.

A car will never be an optimal listening environment. a moving car with ambient noise interfering with the audio system, is even worse.

My 2 cents.
I appreciate your opinion! I was sold on the bowers and wilkins but after many people that have it do own both have the same feedback more or less to yours I can't see spending an additional 3400 for it. Wish it was a noticeable difference worth the 3400$ lol
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #27
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarReady View Post
I appreciate your opinion! I was sold on the bowers and wilkins but after many people that have it do own both have the same feedback more or less to yours I can't see spending an additional 3400 for it. Wish it was a noticeable difference worth the 3400$ lol
You gotta do what you gotta do. I just can't see how anyone who listens to both can say there is no noticeable difference. To me, the difference is just short of astounding for an auto stereo. But, I must admit again, that the price is not the deterrent for me that it is for some. Just do yourself a favor and drive and listen to each one before you decide.....then, YOYO. The only OEM auto stereo I have heard that is better is the Bermester in my wife's new AMG GLE53. It has better bass.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #28
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

If I were buying new, there's no way I'd spend $3400 on B&W. I've had HK on multiple cars and they have been good enough. My wife's CPO M550i has B&W and I can tell it's much better than HK, but not $3,400 better. Buying used CPO is the way to go because as used, the B&W pretty much added only $1,000 to the price. Options are worth so little in used cars.