BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding July Software Update

08-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #89
mokorx
Private
Thailand
Rep
Drives: G30 530e M Sport, F30 316i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpadres View Post
I haz Android Auto on my MY20 530e! Dealer upgraded me (for free) to 20-07-525. As soon as I got in the car, it was available!

Is Android Auto only work with some specific phone brand like Samsung and only a hand full more?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:15 AM   #90
moscab
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 Series 530d MY2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpadres View Post
Yes. I see it as an option in the apps menu.
What does CarPlay navigation using Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze look like on the HUD? Would you be able to show us a photo?
I would love to see how google maps/Waze look like on the HUD, also I assume it is also meant to be displayed in the dash between the dials?
Could someone share some pictures please?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #91
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscab View Post
I would love to see how google maps/Waze look like on the HUD, also I assume it is also meant to be displayed in the dash between the dials?
I will try to grab some pictures, but it looks exactly the same as when you set iDrive to do "Route Preview" in the HUD and Instrument Cluster and it shows you the next few turns without a map in the background.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #92
moscab
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
I will try to grab some pictures, but it looks exactly the same as when you set iDrive to do "Route Preview" in the HUD and Instrument Cluster and it shows you the next few turns without a map in the background.
I would have expected to see a map and lanes choice rather than just arrows?
well at least it's better than nothing

So you say if I put my idrive to "route preview" this will have the same interface as Waze/Google Maps when idrive7 will be updated with the latest July update?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #93
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I would have expected to see a map and lanes choice rather than just arrows?
well at least it's better than nothing

So you say if I put my idrive to "route preview" this will have the same interface as Waze/Google Maps when idrive7 will be updated with the latest July update?
Pretty much. I will grab a picture later today.

You don’t get lane guidance just the next turns. At least I don’t remember seeing it in CarPlay with Apple Maps.

So far BMW navigation is still better for my needs as you get lane guidance and the map in the cluster and HUD. But they did make CarPlay nicer in that BMW navigation can reduce the volume and still let your media play instead of hard pauses.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #94
irishpadres
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

Garage List
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokorx View Post
Is Android Auto only work with some specific phone brand like Samsung and only a hand full more?

mokorx, The list of supported phones can be found under the "Android Auto on your car display (wireless)" at https://support.google.com/androidau.../6348019?hl=en

BMW only supports a wireless connection so you have to have a supported phone for that type of connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 01:42 AM   #95
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

My car is booked in for the July software install. The Genius told me he was going to try to lodge the install as a warranty issue due to the problems I have had with ID7 Lite since delivery. He told me I had to be prepared to pay as BMW never install software updates under warranty (except maps of course) unless it is a recall.

I have had 6 new Merc’s and every time the cars were serviced they had the software updated yet BMW never do except to rectify recalls - If they charge then I’ll fight BMW as when I bought the car the brochure and Drivers Guide confirmed that as it had ID7 then software would be regularly updated remotely. We all know that was untrue but I am sure it will win the argument.

Has anyone in the UK been charged for the July update ?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #96
brimur
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
My car is booked in for the July software install. The Genius told me he was going to try to lodge the install as a warranty issue due to the problems I have had with ID7 Lite since delivery. He told me I had to be prepared to pay as BMW never install software updates under warranty (except maps of course) unless it is a recall.

I have had 6 new Merc’s and every time the cars were serviced they had the software updated yet BMW never do except to rectify recalls - If they charge then I’ll fight BMW as when I bought the car the brochure and Drivers Guide confirmed that as it had ID7 then software would be regularly updated remotely. We all know that was untrue but I am sure it will win the argument.

Has anyone in the UK been charged for the July update ?
You shouldnt have to pay anything. BMW Customer Service booked my car in for the update next week and they confirmed it is covered under warranty. I assume because the ID7 Lite cannot be updated any other way since it doesnt have the OTA functionality the full ID7 has so they have to cover the update cost for the "limited" ID7 Lite versions. This was after I pushed for the update when the Connected Drive UK team told me the MY2020 5 series would not get Android Auto even with the July update because it wasnt capable.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #97
Short540
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Garage List
2019 BMW X50i  [0.00]
Do not install July update. I just had it done and you get almost nothing from it. Android Auto is about it. The update also blocks any ECU flash tunes from being installed. I had bootmod3 flashed it back to stock before the install. After the update the DME can no longer be unlocked through OBD port. The ECU needs to come out of car now and opened up. In order to flash the Bootmod3 tunes.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #98
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimur View Post
You shouldnt have to pay anything. BMW Customer Service booked my car in for the update next week and they confirmed it is covered under warranty. I assume because the ID7 Lite cannot be updated any other way since it doesnt have the OTA functionality the full ID7 has so they have to cover the update cost for the "limited" ID7 Lite versions. This was after I pushed for the update when the Connected Drive UK team told me the MY2020 5 series would not get Android Auto even with the July update because it wasnt capable.
Thanks for that. I need the update as not all of the limited functionality of ID7 Lite is available to me - destinations I send are never rec’d in the car, the lane change assist has stopped working, I regularly lose Spotify, email is unavailable and other stuff works when it wants. The software has been a problem since delivery - I have had 2 complete software re-installs and problems still exist - hence the hope the July update will resolve these issues.

Merc’s Mercedes Me is streets ahead in terms of functionality and reliability - BMW should at least match that rather than push the new My BMW app with less functionality than the existing Connected Drive - e.g. My BMW currently says that pre-set cooling & charging & 3D view are ‘coming soon’ - why issue a new app with such limited functionality ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #99
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

Has anybody started a class action against Bmw yet for failure to deliver what was promised in Idrive7?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:42 AM   #100
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

I have July 2019 build 530e with iDrive 7 lite. I got Android Auto update installed couple of months ago.

Is there any news whether we're gonna get full iDrive 7 update?
Appreciate 1
moscab0.00
      10-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #101
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay99 View Post
I have July 2019 build 530e with iDrive 7 lite. I got Android Auto update installed couple of months ago.

Is there any news whether we're gonna get full iDrive 7 update?
If you have iD7 ‘lite’ you will never get full iD7 - an internal BMW briefing to dealers confirms this. The required equipment is not fitted and cannot be easily retro fitted. The best you can do is get the July 2020 software update which brings some improvements to the sat nav, intelligent voice control and that’s about it.

Forget about OTA Software, full intelligent voice control, Intelligent functionalities, in-car experience, automate my habits, predictive pre-conditioning & weather guard.
Appreciate 1
Xbhp13.00
      10-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #102
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
If you have iD7 ‘lite’ you will never get full iD7 - an internal BMW briefing to dealers confirms this. The required equipment is not fitted and cannot be easily retro fitted. The best you can do is get the July 2020 software update which brings some improvements to the sat nav, intelligent voice control and that’s about it.

Forget about OTA Software, full intelligent voice control, Intelligent functionalities, in-car experience, automate my habits, predictive pre-conditioning & weather guard.
Exactly this.

Though I was impressed with some of the stuff they did manage to squeeze into the Voice Control for the iDrive 7 "Lite" cars. Like being able to change drive mode to Sport or Comfort, Turn on Seat Massage (and it can tell if asked for by the Driver or Passenger). And a few others.

Outside of the RSU support the other missing stuff is more gimmicky IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #103
maxm6
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i, 2009 Z435i 2007 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
I can confirm Android Auto w/ the July update. It works in my 2020 M550
Wondering what build version your M550 is. I have a October or Nov 2019 build M550. Wondering if my build is older than yours and cannot accept the 2020 July update because of some hardware limitation or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #104
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxm6 View Post
Wondering what build version your M550 is. I have a October or Nov 2019 build M550. Wondering if my build is older than yours and cannot accept the 2020 July update because of some hardware limitation or something.
It wouldn't be too old. The update is available for all G30s build after July 2019 (MY2020). I have it on my 530e with a 9/5/2019 build date, for instance.

The newer hardware for RSU and other functionality was added starting July 2020 (MY2021).

If your car "can't accept" the update the dealer should be able to replace the defective parts under warranty until it does. I would use one of the many TSBs to convince them to do the update to ensure everything is warranty covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #105
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

I have been putting off a trip to the dealer to take care of a few warranty issues:

2020 M550

1.Apparent coolant leak
2. Install missing trunk valet switch
3. Latest software update.
4. Emergency braking not working

Which TSBs should I refer to in order to get the software update covered under warranty?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #106
moscab
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
I have been putting off a trip to the dealer to take care of a few warranty issues:

2020 M550

1.Apparent coolant leak
2. Install missing trunk valet switch
3. Latest software update.
4. Emergency braking not working

Which TSBs should I refer to in order to get the software update covered under warranty?

Thanks!
Interested to know a bit more about that emergency brakes you're talking about, how do you know if it works properly?
I never noticed this working in mine somehow and don't want to tempt it for obvious reasons.
I have iDrive7, MY2020 530d
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #107
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interested to know a bit more about that emergency brakes you're talking about, how do you know if it works properly?
I never noticed this working in mine somehow and don't want to tempt it for obvious reasons.
My problem is that I am not sure it works. If I back out of my garage and come close to a retaining wall behind me, the car doesn’t attempt to stop even being a few feet away.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #108
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
My problem is that I am not sure it works. If I back out of my garage and come close to a retaining wall behind me, the car doesn't attempt to stop even being a few feet away.
Do you have the rear braking or side and rear? If just rear then it might not activate in a garage. Maybe try reversing up to some stacked cardboard boxes.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #109
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Do you have the rear braking or side and rear? If just rear then it might not activate in a garage. Maybe try reversing up to some stacked cardboard boxes.
When you say rear braking or side on rear, I am not sure what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #110
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
When you say rear braking or side on rear, I am not sure what you mean.
The auto emergency braking has 2 options to activate in idrive, depending on your model year.

Rear, which uses the 2 sensors at the back. This is most common.

Flank - uses the 2 rear side sensors, so if the car thinks you are going to swipe something it will brake. This is in addition to the rear sensors.

The options are in idrive.
Appreciate 0