BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Official Tesla Talk Thread **No Politics**

10-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #111
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Good for you for the price they charge it better be rattle free for you.
my mates model s was £79000. sitting inside it was no different from vauxhall and citroen taxis bar the vegan leather and acceleration.
For similar money one could do so much better...
For what they charge? A base model 3 costs less than a base 3 series. Even a long range AWD model 3 is the same price as an AWD model 3, but the model 3 does 0-60 in 4.2 sec the BMW in 5.3...

Well I guess you can get an M3 that would get you to 4.4 sec 0-60 but at a cost of $54,700 which then puts you at the price of a model 3 performance... 3.1 sec 0-60... which is now super car numbers.... for $55k.

Then again maybe shit is different over there.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #112
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Good for you for the price they charge it better be rattle free for you.
my mates model s was £79000. sitting inside it was no different from vauxhall and citroen taxis bar the vegan leather and acceleration.
For similar money one could do so much better...
For what they charge? A base model 3 costs less than a base 3 series. Even a long range AWD model 3 is the same price as an AWD model 3, but the model 3 does 0-60 in 4.2 sec the BMW in 5.3...

Well I guess you can get an M3 that would get you to 4.4 sec 0-60 but at a cost of $54,700 which then puts you at the price of a model 3 performance... 3.1 sec 0-60... which is now super car numbers.... for $55k.

Then again maybe shit is different over there.
yesterday we were driving in my mates model s to a badminton game. he tries to show off with acceleration autopilot etc to another friend who he was trying to impress. I could hear rickety suspension noises especially fromrear (20k miles)Also tells us how he has bought shares in Tesla and 'believes in the product'
few minutes later he exclaims oh shit I have only 6 miles left. Nearest charger 12 miles away. Stops his car and mutters 'I should have calculated better.
We take a taxi home.
I vow never to set foot inside his vehicle again.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #113
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yesterday we were driving in my mates model s to a badminton game. he tries to show off with acceleration autopilot etc to another friend who he was trying to impress. I could hear rickety suspension noises especially fromrear (20k miles)Also tells us how he has bought shares in Tesla and 'believes in the product'
few minutes later he exclaims oh shit I have only 6 miles left. Nearest charger 12 miles away. Stops his car and mutters 'I should have calculated better.
We take a taxi home.
I vow never to set foot inside his vehicle again.
Well sounds to me like your friend is just an idiot. My friend has had a model 3 for a few years, he drives it for work so it has to have 50k+ miles on it. I don't recall any noises coming from it when I visited. Mine definitely has no rattles or suspension noise but mine only has 15k miles.

As for running out of juice, again that seems to be an issue with your friend, not so much the car. I have never run out of gas and have never run out of battery on the tesla. However I'm the kind of person that starts thinking about filling up when I'm at half a tank. If I hit 1/4 tank I start getting anxiety. Plus I charge it at home so I always start the day with a full tank. I have never HAD to charge it outside my garage.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #114
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Well sounds to me like your friend is just an idiot.
Yup, that's idiot behavior - like the people who run out of fuel despite a perfectly functional fuel gauge.

As for Tesla's product, yeah they can have quality / build issues - so do others: we just pulled the plug (get it?) on our X5 45e order for recall issues - but Tesla's have been worse ... that said, Tesla is getting better every quarter and will continue to get better. And cheaper.

Tesla just committed to $10B-$12B in new factories and those factories will have Tesla's latest proprietary designs, the quality will be much higher and the cost/unit will be much cheaper ...

... and that's what should scare the shit out of every other manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #115
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yup, that's idiot behavior - like the people who run out of fuel despite a perfectly functional fuel gauge.

As for Tesla's product, yeah they can have quality / build issues - so do others: we just pulled the plug (get it?) on our X5 45e order for recall issues - but Tesla's have been worse ... that said, Tesla is getting better every quarter and will continue to get better. And cheaper.

Tesla just committed to $10B-$12B in new factories and those factories will have Tesla's latest proprietary designs, the quality will be much higher and the cost/unit will be much cheaper ...

... and that's what should scare the shit out of every other manufacturer.

No...

and he takes a taxi to the nearest fuel station which is like 2-3 minutes away gets fuel in a can and fills some and away he goes less than an hour.

If an idiot like my friend on bev runs out of charge then what? that's why I won't set foot into his tesla again.

I am sooo happy I bought a ICE G05 just before the mild hybrids and hybrids kicked in.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #116
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No...

and he takes a taxi to the nearest fuel station which is like 2-3 minutes away gets fuel in a can and fills some and away he goes less than an hour.

If an idiot like my friend on bev runs out of charge then what? that's why I won't set foot into his tesla again.
Hmmmm... I dunno, get towed home, towed to nearest charger, AAA charging truck... or don't be an idiot and don't run out. In 22 years of driving I have never ran out of gas. Guess your friend is still out there.... hopelessly wondering what he can possible do.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...stly-unneeded/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #117
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
and he takes a taxi to the nearest fuel station which is like 2-3 minutes away gets fuel in a can
Anyone with a working fuel gauge who runs out of fuel 2-3 minutes away from a fuel station should be avoided at all costs - they're too dumb for life.

I mean most of us live in houses powered by electricity and realize if we don't pay the bill the power goes out.

Competently managing resources is kind of a life skill.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13104.50
      10-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #118
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Hmmmm... I dunno, get towed home, towed to nearest charger, AAA charging truck... or don't be an idiot and don't run out. In 22 years of driving I have never ran out of gas. Guess your friend is still out there.... hopelessly wondering what he can possible do.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...stly-unneeded/
the article is from 2016 ...here's an article from 2019. Won't be surprised if he doesn't have breakdown cover though..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #119
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I have been looking at Tesla's for awhile but decided not to get one this time. Instead I bought a Toyota Prius Prime plug in hybrid instead for $22,000 after rebates. I liked the 660 miles of range and the ability to run it in EV mode for 28 miles. That allowed me to keep my BMW 440IX 6MT for now. I wanted a spare cheaper city car to run errands and not worry about. So far I am really impressed and this is after looking at the Tesla 3 which is a also a great car. Tesla are pushing the industry forward more than anyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:26 AM   #120
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Wait, you mean we know what happens if we don't pay the monthly bill for the solar electric system installed on our house, right?
I don't have a solar system ... or even a house!

But soon that'll be no problem as the energy startups are j-curving seeing the energy deregulation boom coming - everybody (who understands the future) wants to be the AT&T or Verizon of power. Startups like Solstice are going after deregulation in a big way by installing community systems that people can subscribe to with no up-front costs or having their own rooftop solar system.

And pro tip: the notion energy deregulation and renewable energy is a blue-vs-red thing is complete crap - the hilarious part are the investors publicly preaching oil & gas but privately investing in renewables. As an example, as of July 2020, TX, OK, and IA generated more wind & solar electricity on a trailing-12-month basis than all 20 blue states combined. Texas is smart - they're simply transitioning from oil to wind and solar before anyone realizes TX won and they lost the race. it's a core reason Tesla looked at TX & OK for their new plant and I wouldn't be surprised to seem them spend some of their new $12B in OK.

For some people energy deregulation has been happening for 10 years, but for many others it'll seem like suddenly it's dumb not to subscribe to a community energy service (which will be solar/wind based). And, of course, once you're already generating your own electricity off your roof and/or community system, why pay for another form of energy, gasoline?

Just like cell phones killed landlines and streaming is killing cable, energy deregulation will kill consumer oil & gas - Texas figured it out 5 years ago.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-28-2020 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #121
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm in a community energy service already; It uses coal, nat gas, wind, and nuke. Oil is less than 1% of electrical energy production in the US. Not sure how solar will kill consumer oil for electricity production.
Go back and read the post, but basically solar is at the point of being cheaper than coal, nuke, and gas and that cost disparity is only going to increase (plus it's mobile, local, and easy to install!). For example, Tesla mega-pack peaker plants already cost 10% of the equivalent gas-fired peakers, and this is all before you start throwing in bi-directional charging and V2G tech which could be so lucrative as to offset the cost of the family car.

Gasoline has a loooonnngggg, expensive, messy, fragile, resource-heavy supply chain that has to be updated at 1000s of locations weekly. If a family can buy a household megapack, get outage/storm protection, offset their electricity costs - and then add an electric car that also gets a V2G kickback, uses the power they generate, and eliminates a trip to the gas station and any gasoline supply chain problems thus making them self-sufficient ... they'd be stupid not to do it. And they will ... they're already starting.

And once people start buying less gasoline (which they are now if only due to covid), that long, messy, expensive, fragile gasoline supply chain is going to get very expensive and soon there'll be a tidal wave of people moving away from petrol.

So it's energy deregulation and local renewable microgeneration that will slowly strangle the consumer oil/petrol market (which requires massive scale to be remotely feasible). I'm sure you know how an economic flywheel works - so that's how.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-28-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #122
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Last time I checked, gasoline works at night too.
You should probably get a new phone, because last time I checked so do batteries.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      10-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #123
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Shale's insane private equity romance in the mid-teens piles onto Big Oil's woes

And it's only getting worse from here:

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #124
Groovypippin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

The interior quality and fit & finish of any Tesla immediately disqualifies it as a true luxury offering.
Appreciate 4
      11-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #125
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovypippin View Post
The interior quality and fit & finish of any Tesla immediately disqualifies it as a true luxury offering.
Sshh don't tell the Musk fanboys.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #126
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovypippin View Post
Tesla's supercharger network is second to none

BMW would be very smart to ask Tesla for access to their Supercharger Network

Tesla crushes it in every other area like, performance, over the air updates, and their Monopoly of battery Gigafactories
clee1982796.00
GrussGott18113.00
      11-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #127
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Tesla crushes it in every other area like, performance, over the air updates, and their Monopoly of battery Gigafactories
Maybe BMW needs to beg world leaders for $2.4 billion in subsidies to build its network like Tesla did.
      11-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #128
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Maybe BMW needs to beg world leaders for $2.4 billion in subsidies to build its network like Tesla did.
Lead, Follow, or get the of the way ‼️
clee1982796.00
jmg18493.00
      11-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #129
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

pity they have such horrible interiors and build quality than equally priced BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #130
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My point is there's a long list of aspects of a vehicle that are completely agnostic to how it is powered. BMW has decades of experience in all of these. Tesla might have more experience in EV-specific traits, over-the-air updates, etc., but those are new to consumers anyway. The traditional aspects like ride quality and accoutrements are important to consumers. More challenging for Tesla is consumers are mature in evaluating these traditional traits and have established expectations. The big boys appear to be getting serious about developing PHEV. Tesla better pedal harder.
      11-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #131
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
My point is there's a long list of aspects of a vehicle that are completely agnostic to how it is powered. BMW has decades of experience in all of these. Tesla might have more experience in EV-specific traits, over-the-air updates, etc., but those are new to consumers anyway. The traditional aspects like ride quality and accoutrements are important to consumers. More challenging for Tesla is consumers are mature in evaluating these traditional traits and have established expectations. The big boys appear to be getting serious about developing PHEV. Tesla better pedal harder.
The big boys have waited way to long...

And they will pay the price accordingly
      11-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #132
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Pedal harder? lol Tesla could just pause everything for 3 years... and they would still be a few years ahead of everybody else....

want to see when BMW will make a $65k car that can do 300+miles 0-60 in 3 secs and drive it self....
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00