BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 545e UK Favourable Review

10-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

545e UK Favourable Review

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5-...ve-2020-review

"As a refined, fuel-efficient and quick executive saloon, the new BMW 545e is very difficult to fault. The new six-cylinder powertrain is a great fit for the 5 Series and the £6,000 premium over the lesser 530e feels like excellent value when you consider the improvements in refinement and performance that it brings"
Appreciate 2
Jas387200.50
mcoops1757.00
      10-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Interesting. If boot space is a requirement, can see some possibly opting for the estate to overcome the reduction.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Ticks me off that I can't get it here in the States. BMW has lost a sale because I would have upgraded to it if it were available.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17427.50
      10-17-2020, 04:15 AM   #4
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

It's an interesting option, I should sound good yet still not be penalised on MPG. I'm hoping there'll be some more YouTube reviews soon (other than the initial press fleet ones which a pretty numb)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:18 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bow View Post
It's an interesting option, I should sound good yet still not be penalised on MPG. I'm hoping there'll be some more YouTube reviews soon (other than the initial press fleet ones which a pretty numb)
70+ mpg is hugely impressive and still retains B58 and sound. A lot to like!
      10-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #6
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Interesting. If boot space is a requirement, can see some possibly opting for the estate to overcome the reduction.
I’m not sure they’re offering it as a touring yet. I think there are plans to release the 530e as a touring model soon, but not the 545e. Hopefully in the future!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Of course it's still the 540i for the estate.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #8
user1811
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Ticks me off that I can't get it here in the States. BMW has lost a sale because I would have upgraded to it if it were available.
It's the opposite in the UK. Seems we cannot get the 540i anymore in favour of the 545e.

I was seriously considering a factory order for a new 540i but I don't want the 545e! When the G30 was announced, one of the selling points was that it was 100Kg lighter than the previous generation. Now the 545e is over 100Kg heavier than the 540i, close to 2 tons. And the price is substantially higher too.

I cannot imagine what all this stop-starting and demanding power from a cold engine will do for the longevity of the engine. My current car from 2002 with a 5-speed manual gearbox has over 210,000 miles and is still on the original clutch. If I can keep getting parts for it, I'm sure it will outlast me because I take good care of it, always warm it up thoroughly before revving it etc. Can this sort of longevity be expected from a new car? Maybe from a 540i, but I doubt that the 545e will be this durable.

If I want to save the planet, I will buy a second, purely electric car (but even then, what about the environmental impact of all those battery packs that will have to be replaced in a few years?). Anyway, I don't want a car that tries to be good at everything and ends up being average at everything.

Maybe I'll have a look at the M340i....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1811 View Post
It's the opposite in the UK. Seems we cannot get the 540i anymore in favour of the 545e.

I was seriously considering a factory order for a new 540i but I don't want the 545e! When the G30 was announced, one of the selling points was that it was 100Kg lighter than the previous generation. Now the 545e is over 100Kg heavier than the 540i, close to 2 tons. And the price is substantially higher too.

I cannot imagine what all this stop-starting and demanding power from a cold engine will do for the longevity of the engine. My current car from 2002 with a 5-speed manual gearbox has over 210,000 miles and is still on the original clutch. If I can keep getting parts for it, I'm sure it will outlast me because I take good care of it, always warm it up thoroughly before revving it etc. Can this sort of longevity be expected from a new car? Maybe from a 540i, but I doubt that the 545e will be this durable.

If I want to save the planet, I will buy a second, purely electric car (but even then, what about the environmental impact of all those battery packs that will have to be replaced in a few years?). Anyway, I don't want a car that tries to be good at everything and ends up being average at everything.

Maybe I'll have a look at the M340i....
Why do you doubt a 545e would be durable? BMW has made durable and not so durable ICE cars all throughout its history so power plant alone isn't a marker of reliability. These also aren't BMW's first hybrid cars.

PHEVs have been on the roads for decades now with lots of miles put out on them. The tech in general is very proven.

Additionally, a PHEV is generally speaking better geared to weathering battery degradation when compared to its BEV counterpart. Meaning, a PHEV will see reduced range as the battery ages (just like a BEV), but you're still able to compensate with access to ICE. Whereas on a BEV significant range drops can make the car no longer viable without a battery replacement.

If anything, I'd imagine a PHEV would be a more durable and reliable power train over an ICE one since ICE engines work best on highways at relatively consistent speeds. The wear of stop and go traffic you encounter in cities or congestion is what ages them heavily and why people look for "highway miles" cars. For a PHEV the EV motor kicks in during those times to keep ICE in its optimal territory minimizing wear and tear.

For instance, kicking a PHEV over from EV to ICE at 50MPH isn't the same as starting an ICE engine cold and flooring it to get to 50MPH. Especially in a BMW PHEV where the transmission is still in play and has been put into the optimal gear such that the ICE is able to kick in with minimal power demands.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Why do you doubt a 545e would be durable?
For instance, kicking a PHEV over from EV to ICE at 50MPH isn't the same as starting an ICE engine cold and flooring it to get to 50MPH. Especially in a BMW PHEV where the transmission is still in play and has been put into the optimal gear such that the ICE is able to kick in with minimal power demands.
In addition, when at highway speeds and the battery is reaching depletion, when the ICE starts the Energy Display shows 'Electric Motor Assisting" for about 30-45 seconds, presumably to give the ICE a chance to run for a bit, prior to electric motor turning off and the ICE taking over completely. There is also a noticeable change in the exhaust note after this time when the electric motor stops assisting.

It is not binary or mutually exclusive proposition between the ICE and Electric Motor.

I will say this was one of my fears....driving down the highway and a cold engine being asked to take over immediately at highway speeds. It is not an issue. Pretty sure the engineers at BMW thought of all this...

Last edited by rts2101; 12-07-2020 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rts2101 View Post
In addition, when at highway speeds and the battery is reaching depletion, when the ICE starts the Energy Display shows 'Electric Motor Assisting" for about 30-45 seconds, presumably to give the ICE a chance to run for a bit, prior to electric motor turning off and the ICE taking over completely. There is also a noticeable change in the exhaust note after this time when the electric motor stops assisting.
Is this only in 545e? I have 530e and don't remember seeing 'Electric Motor Assisting'.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #12
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbhp View Post
Is this only in 545e? I have 530e and don't remember seeing 'Electric Motor Assisting'.
I have the 530e. For a brief time when the ICE first starts at highway speeds, it shows "Electric Motor Assisting" with both the Green and Amber Arrows lit until the ICE takes over completely. I don't have a tachometer so not sure if the engine is idling or at speed during that time, but when the ICE takes over there is a noticeable change in the exhaust note/sound.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #13
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rts2101 View Post
I have the 530e. For a brief time when the ICE first starts at highway speeds, it shows "Electric Motor Assisting" with both the Green and Amber Arrows lit until the ICE takes over completely. I don't have a tachometer so not sure if the engine is idling or at speed during that time, but when the ICE takes over there is a noticeable change in the exhaust note/sound.
Thanks. Will try it out this weekend. Probably I haven’t seen it as I try to warm up engine when I know I will be using ICE. Some times I take break during journey just to warm up engine- can’t get away from 15 years of habit
Appreciate 0