BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications M5 F90 steering wheel in the G30

02-28-2021, 06:25 AM   #23
flo_sb
Rep
Drives: 540xi G30, 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Does the skipping songs buttons work too with CarPlay? I would like to retrofit the LCI buttons if they do, since I hate how the pre-LCI in order to skip songs you have to move the wheel up and down and then press (not very ergonomic).
Maybe this helps answer your question, at least partially:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #24
Kosmic
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
It presumably the M1 and m2 buttons don't do anything?
you can buy this retrofit kit:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:53 PM   #25
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo_sb View Post
Maybe this helps answer your question, at least partially:

Thanks! That helps a lot. Since it works via Bluetooth, I am pretty confident it'll work for CarPlay too! In any case, I did order the part and it's currently sitting on my to-do list after I finish retrofitting F90 M5 brakes and suspension on my G30
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 Coilovers | F90 Suspension | F90 Brakes | 20" HRE FF10 Liquid Black Wheels | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires | Ivory White Dakota Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System | JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 | Ceramic Controls | BM3 Stage 2+ E50 ECU Tune | xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | MST Cold Air Intake | FTP Chargepipe | AA Catted Downpipe | Remus Catback Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 12:49 AM   #26
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

M5 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic View Post
you can buy this retrofit kit:

is this possible using the genuine M5 wheel's M1/M2 buttons and just do the centre gearbox console part ?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #27
flo_sb
Rep

Wondering the same thing, at 1st glance it looks like the buttons are rewired somehow.
Let me know if you find out
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:09 AM   #28
flo_sb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozin View Post
is this possible using the genuine M5 wheel's M1/M2 buttons and just do the centre gearbox console part ?
Yes, they seem to offer the wire harness
They replied in the initial video and also just posted this video:
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 04:00 AM   #29
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they seem to offer the wire harness
They replied in the initial video and also just posted this video:
Hi,

Did you do the retrofit? Any errors on the diagnostic softwares like ISTA ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 04:04 AM   #30
flo_sb
Rep

No I have not, as they have not answered me on the youtube video.
I think I recall seeing someone on this forum with the Wicked Crew / G-Club avatar. Any ideea how I can get in touch with them?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #31
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No I have not, as they have not answered me on the youtube video.
I think I recall seeing someone on this forum with the Wicked Crew / G-Club avatar. Any ideea how I can get in touch with them?
Well, i could not get hold of them so ordered the kit from a different source for more money but quick shipping. Installed and it works with no errors on the dash. Only an error in Ista about M1/M2 buttons.

Ignore the other issues, these are present due to the DAP relevant steering wheel buttons and car not having it ( Work in Progress ) :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #32
flo_sb
Rep

Quote:
Well, i could not get hold of them so ordered the kit from a different source for more money but quick shipping.
Niice! Where did you get if from / $$?
So did you have to code anything? (kind of weird for M1 and M2 to pop up, I presumed that M1 and M2 are just a back/forward button to toggle between comfort/sport/eco - this was what I assumed by seeing that they added some wire harness under the gear lever. Guess you added that too, right?)
Also, love the Alpina dash. Was it complicated to code?
Thanks!
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #33
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, i could not get hold of them so ordered the kit from a different source for more money but quick shipping.
Niice! Where did you get if from / $$?
So did you have to code anything? (kind of weird for M1 and M2 to pop up, I presumed that M1 and M2 are just a back/forward button to toggle between comfort/sport/eco - this was what I assumed by seeing that they added some wire harness under the gear lever. Guess you added that too, right?)
Also, love the Alpina dash. Was it complicated to code?
Thanks!
Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response. Yes harness part installed for both steering wheel and in centre console underneath Gearstick, was not that hard to install, just took sometime as the instructions were not great in terms of where to hide the excess etc.

Cost was around £200 including faster fedex shipping. Did not do any coding but as per seller, error codes will always show up while diagnosing. Well, a compromise I am ok with in order to have working M1/M2 buttons.

Alpina Dash coding is very straight forward, let me know if you need help with this as well as any other coding bits and bobs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #34
flo_sb
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response. Yes harness part installed for both steering wheel and in centre console underneath Gearstick, was not that hard to install, just took sometime as the instructions were not great in terms of where to hide the excess etc.

Cost was around £200 including faster fedex shipping. Did not do any coding but as per seller, error codes will always show up while diagnosing. Well, a compromise I am ok with in order to have working M1/M2 buttons.

Alpina Dash coding is very straight forward, let me know if you need help with this as well as any other coding bits and bobs.
Moozin! Hope you didn't get the LCI wheel because of me.
Just got an LCI one and it seems to error out.
Please view https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=221 and https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=232 for a detailed description on the issue.
Not sure if the wheel is to blame, or if there is platform incompatibility.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #35
Moozin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,

I did not get the LCI one on purpose as it throws errors while diagnosing as well but the LCI buttons should still work for yout DAP and ACC etc as i know couple of guys who have got their’s working.

Did you try to use ISTA to clear the faults and delete error memory as i believe that should do the trick to make the buttons work and not throw an error on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:30 AM   #36
flo_sb
Rep

So you mean you know people with non LCI G30s that have theirs working?
I haven't tried that as I no longer have INSTA, but will download and give it a try. Will also update software from https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

UPDATES: So I opened the wheel up, hoping to find a disconnected vibrator motor. Turns out the vibrator was completely missing, and the control module is lacking vibrator module wire. How a driver assistant plus, with ACC and heating can lack the vibrator module is beyond my understanding.
Tomorrow I am testing the LCI driver assistant plus trim on the M5 driver assistant professional wheel that I have.

UPDATE2: in non LCI G30 - LCI M5 driver assistant professional wheel working with switched trim, new trim being LCI driver assistant plus

Last edited by flo_sb; 05-24-2021 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:18 AM   #37
DevilDante24
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Well, i could not get hold of them so ordered the kit from a different source for more money but quick shipping. Installed and it works with no errors on the dash. Only an error in Ista about M1/M2 buttons.

Ignore the other issues, these are present due to the DAP relevant steering wheel buttons and car not having it ( Work in Progress ) :-)
Hi,

Have you managed to clear the error about the steering wheel variant and m1/m2 buttons.
If so, how?

I installed a steering wheel from a G30 without the M1/M2 buttons and still get the error after VO coding 248 (steering wheel heating) and 2TE (steptronic transmission with paddle shifters)
I'm trying to find de code which resolves this but can't find anything.

Last edited by DevilDante24; 07-30-2023 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:47 PM   #38
Bjames93*
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDante24 View Post
Hi,

Have you managed to clear the error about the steering wheel variant and m1/m2 buttons.
If so, how?

I installed a steering wheel from a G30 without the M1/M2 buttons and still get the error after VO coding 248 (steering wheel heating) and 2TE (steptronic transmission with paddle shifters)
I'm trying to find de code which resolves this but can't find anything.
Pm your what’s app will fix
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 04:30 PM   #39
illinojus
Rep
Drives: F30 2018

Has anyone retrofitted F90 M5 Pre-LCI steering wheel to G30 Pre-LCI ? There are two buttons on the left side of the M5 steering that my car does not support, otherwise they both are heated and does not have any different functions. Would it show any issues on the iDrive ??? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #40
Bosniak
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
It is not possible AFAIK.
I've tried it on the F-chassis 5 series and X5/X6, only the menu can come up, but the button won't do anything.
Hi, I stumbled upon the thread looking for answers and can see, that you are quite knowledgeable and I was hoping you could help me.

I own a G30 from 2017 and I wanted to change the already nice M-wheel with one which has paddle shifters. Do I have to code the new wheel with the paddle shifters and can i use the LCI, version instead. I personally find it better looking, but have heard that the buttons won’t work. Is that true?

I’m in the EU btw. Don’t know if it’s relevant, but just in case.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0