BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e Replacement Hybrid Battery Cost

03-12-2020, 02:56 AM   #1
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

530e Replacement Hybrid Battery Cost

I came across a forum post (in Malaysia) whilst trying to find out the replacement costs of the plug-in battery cost. I was intrigued that the battery warranty guarantees a depletion of no more than 25% at 6 years or 60k and they don’t say the whole battery is replaced. I found out why - the battery is modular as the Malaysian post confirms. The guy posted his findings in Feb 2019 and I have converted the Malaysian Ringgits to £’s as a guide, probably in the U.K. we’ll get charged more !

We contacted BMW Malaysia to find out the cost to replace their hybrid batteries as they sold the most PHEV’s in the past few years. The BMW 330e, The 530e and the X5e. Thankfully, it is not as scary as we imagined and we want to share this information with you for you to have a peace of mind (if you own a BMW PHEV) and share with your friends who own a BMW PHEV.

All BMW PHEV vehicles get a 6-year or 100,000 km warranty and the BMW i8 supercar enjoys a 8-year or 100,000 km warranty.

The BMW PHEV battery is a modular battery system and so the cost of one battery module is £ 1,337 and depending on which BMW PHEV you drive, they have 5-6 modules in one battery pack. So, you are looking at a total replacement cost of between £ 6,686 to £ 8,023 if you need a complete battery change. Labour costs at any BMW authorized service center is £ 210 for one module change and for the 3-Series and 5-Series it is just £ 238
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      03-12-2020, 03:20 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

It's still a lot of money and whilst this does not affect those leasing a car for the first 3 years, it will be a bit hit on the second or third owner potentially. As these types of cars are still relatively new I guess we haven't really started seeing the impact.
My fear is that if this become an issue for cars getting to that age that will hit resale values and that in turn could affect lease rates.

I'm not an expert on batteries but have seen a few videos thatvstatebthatvthese batteries are not the same as in your mobile phone and are a lot better but even so they will wear out and it's a cost that has to borne in mind.

I hope that this does not mean the realistic life span of a car decreases as that is obviously not a good thing from a green point of view. Producing a new car obviously has an impact but never seems to be highlighted , it could be that hanging on to an older car for longer may potentially be better than making a new one?

Also worth considering is the range , if we are to expect the range to decrease by a certain percentage over its life , when it gets to that point it's use could be restricted as it might not now be good enough as regards range - more of an issue for a pure EV than a hybrid
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

I agree with AP. I lease my 530e as it was the first model year here. However, I have owned previous BMWs and the battery replacement issue is certainly something to consider when my current lease is up.

I wonder if the batteries in my 2018 can be replaced with the larger capacity batteries I understand are being used in later models. I assume the battery dimensions are the same.
Appreciate 0