BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW G30 Impressions And Half Review (Now Also Includes Part II )

07-07-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

BMW G30 Impressions And Half Review (Now Also Includes Part II )

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I picked my car and just posted some pictures of it in Photo Video Forum so you can view it there .
I just wanted to share my first initial impressions ahead of a long trip . Mostly I wanted to touch on great things and casted some lights on points that would make potential G30 Owners feel nervous

GOOD POINTS :
  1. Run Flat Tires :

Run Flat Tires has been one of the mysterious topics when it comes to cars and choice of tires in this regard . Well, I was kinda nervous and mindset considering how polarizing these tires can be as some car owners hate them to the point of replacing with conventional brethen whereas some car owners seem to be pleased with those .
My car came with Goodyear Run Flat Tires as well. I opted 18" wheels and expected a kinda harsh ride given all these feedbacks however it seems tires aren't as noisy as I thought would be or may be I need to give credit to BMW engineers to make a quiet car .
Not to mention their safety aspects if a driver encounters a puncture when going at autobahn speeds
  1. Gesture Control :
This Gesture Control also one of the hot debates as far as I'm concerned . However, I decided to opt this option given the fact that not only does it give the users the ability to control volume of audio but also users can zoom in/out when they opt the 360 view to see the objects .In this respect , this system is very fertile not restricted to audio or phone
  1. Foot Wave To Open Close The Trunk :
This topic also seem to split owners as some of them find them very useful when their hands are not free however on the other side of the pond some owners find them useless like gesture control .
I have tested it a few times to open and close the trunk with success rate of 7/10 , bear in mind one of these unsuccessful attempts to open the hood was the fact that I forgot the Display Key was inside the car
Just insert your foot under the bumper ( of course rear bumper ) and then make a swift swipe left to right , that's it . Do the same to close the cap , not cap trunk
Air Condition :
Another a topic that we mull over here is the performance aspects of the Air Conditioner . I already told my sales adviser about it and he was kinda puzzled . During delivery ,he said he drove the car right up to the delivery venue and he said he had to reduce fan speed as it was very icing cold .
I have to say that ,cooling performance just like as I expected it to be . Outside was 28 C , A/C was set 20 C my default setting and fan speed reduced to no less then 2 bars
  1. Display Key:
I was sold on these since I handled and in short ,LED Display Key is a must have item ,not to impress others but to indulge yourself with some great features that comes with it
That's it now from Good Points but don't expect me to waffle about bad things at all
I decided upon gray areas where I find it quite interesting rather than quirk ways to have .
Let's see what these are
  • To Open And Close The Hood
At first glance , you may well ask to what's that about here . I say this because it's the first time I have ever faced a car whose hood needs to be pulled twice to get it opened .It makes sense why there's X2 symbol is placed at the lever itself
When you open something in a cool way , you may expect to close it same way . I was advised that I have to slam it when closing , slamming objects is not a good habit but I think when it comes to closing hood it needs to be recommended procedure .
Being a gentle is a good thing but not for the welfare of the headlamps housing as it may crack under pressure , it sounds weird though
  1. Sunroof Opening And Closing :

You may well ask , you have a sunroof and complaint about the way it opens and closes ? No, not that way it's something that needs getting used to I think . Because in my other cars equipped with sunroof , I had to press and hold the button to automatically get it done its job but in BMW I have to press it quickly twice to make it do the same job . That's BMW style but good anyway

Last edited by Nivarox; 08-26-2017 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      08-25-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Things I Find Interesting Part II

This is second half of this thread. Instead of posting a new thread to share the points I find worth the mention , I thought I have to continue waffling here ,I don't like waffles they're too sugar coated but this topic is not because a review must be unbiased , unartless .
Enough with the prelude let's come to the matter :
  • Tire Pressure Settings :

When you reset the tire pressures, it takes a while for it to recharge itself so to speak .You will see this progress in I-Drive Display with % .That's cool but wish I could also see this in HUD ,nitpick 1.
I don't remember if manual covers that but once you set the tires you are good to go but shouldn't exceed 50 km/h otherwise it would take hundreds of miles for tire pressure settings to be %100 completed .It took me almost 2 kilometers from home to city lights .I realized that in order tire pressure settings to be completed I shouldn't exceed a specific speed

Fuel Range :
This car is serious and means that when it indicates remaining mileage , when you see it below 50 kilometers you better fill it up .This was covered by one of the forum members as well .
It warns you when your range is below 50 kilometers and stays there under the gauge cluster unless you want it to disappear . That's a very neat feature as well.However, I would like to see such warnings to stay in the HUD more than 30 seconds or I would like to have the ability to set the time for such warnings to stay on ,nitpick 2
Panoramic View :

A superb stuff , I find it very useful and use it quite a lot when I want to see whose and what's there farthest right side .This makes the things easier ,you already see before coming there
  • Passenger Mirror :

It doesn't tilt when I put it in reverse although the mirror adjustment button is slided into the right side .I think manual should cover this , I don't remember off the top of my head right now

Favorite Buttons :

I recorded a note but it deleted by itself ,I know I saved the message .Either there's a timeframe for it or it deletes the messages when you restart the engine, nitpick 3 .I will refer to manual if there's a note for it or BMW Genius should cover this but I bet I will be first to ask why my saved message is deleted by itself
  • Gauge Cluster In Sport Mode
This is the nitpick of the nitpick
In Comfort Mode, readability is very good but in Sport Mode you may not see at the billions of billions of second of what the needle is indicating . Because needle color is also red so is number characters .
For instance: Gauge Cluster whether it's at full or sitting at the empty zone but we have a Range that will help . You may also not easily see whereabouts the needle is on the speedometer but we have a digital speedometer to help us figure this out as well

Happy Driving All

Last edited by Nivarox; 08-26-2017 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
TreyWaters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
  • To Open And Close The Hood
At first glance , you may well ask to what's that about here . I say this because it's the first time I have ever faced a car whose hood needs to be pulled twice to get it opened .It makes sense why there's X2 symbol is placed at the lever itself
This is a standard thing, at least on US cars, for safety. However, BMW has implemented this differently than other cars. In the US, all hoods and doors have a double latch. This way, if the first position fails, the hood/door doesn't fly open while driving. The second latch will catch. Why we can have single-pull door handles but still need separate pulls for the hood, I can't answer, though.

Now, for most cars, the second latch for the hood is released at the hood. It would appear BMW has devised this second latch to be released from the second pull of the hood release. I think this is a novel idea. I can't wait to see a car shop get their first G30, and then spend 10 minutes trying to figure out how to open the hood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Being a gentle is a good thing but not for the welfare of the headlamps housing as it may crack under pressure , it sounds weird though
I think, as long as your hood stops are set properly (the little rubber bumpers at the front corners of the hood), your headlights should be fine. Those would prevent the hood from flexing down and impacting the headlights.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i - Silver / Red (2006-2009)
Appreciate 0