BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Sunroof rattle

09-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Sunroof rattle

My sunroof rattles and creaks when I open sunshade. If i then tilt sunroof or open completely rattling stops.

Can sunroof track be loose?

I have an appointment next week
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
My sunroof rattles and creaks when I open sunshade. If i then tilt sunroof or open completely rattling stops.

Could be a matter of simple adjustment or added lubrication. Never had an issue with my sunroof and fortunately these cars do not have the far more rattle prone and problematic panoramic sunroofs

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:

I have the same issue now.

When the cover is all way the way back, but the sunroof itself is closed, there are small creaking sounds coming from the roof. If I close the cover, the noises go away. Will be chatting to my dealer tomorrow to find out if it is a known problem, and when I can book it in.

It's a real PITA as the car othrwise is really rock solid with no rattles whatsoever, after 20k km.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post
Quote:

When the cover is all way the way back, but the sunroof itself is closed, there are small creaking sounds coming from the roof. If I close the cover, the noises go away. Will be chatting to my dealer tomorrow to find out if it is a known problem, and when I can book it in.

It's a real PITA as the car othrwise is really rock solid with no rattles whatsoever, after 20k km.
Quote:
Quote:

I will let you know fix Wednesday. My car goes in at 7am
Appreciate 1
mk1-fan583.00
      09-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Adjusted glass, still noise. Then replaced seals and readjust glass. Noise went away. I was glad tech noted he heard noise on a test drive
Appreciate 1
mk1-fan583.00
      09-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Thanks for the update.

I am in 2 minds now, as for the last 5 days or so, the noise has disappeared. When it did made a noise, it was only once or twice a day. Will leave it as it is for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

I am in 2 minds now, as for the last 5 days or so, the noise has disappeared. When it did made a noise, it was only once or twice a day. Will leave it as it is for now.
Quote:
Thanks for the update.

It was seals, it would start when i startd driving then stop. I would only hear it when driving over bumps. Drove me crazy.

My car is so quiet now, I should have taken it in months ago.
Appreciate 1
mk1-fan583.00
      10-27-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
justjoey011
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

2020 M340i sunroof rattle

Quote:
It was seals, it would start when i startd driving then stop. I would only hear it when driving over bumps. Drove me crazy.

My 2020 M340i does same noises when sunroof is closed, did dealership just replace seals and it was solved?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:17 AM   #9
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoey011 View Post
Quote:

My 2020 M340i does same noises when sunroof is closed, did dealership just replace seals and it was solved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoey011 View Post
Quote:

Replace seals and adjusted glass. Doesn't squeek anymore. I kept putting this off, I should have had dealer do this months ago.

P.s. the dealer was able to mimick sound on test drive, made fix more believable to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
justjoey011
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll make sure they hear noise and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
Bosstime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

I had a similar issue - the seals were lubricated in my 2019 540i and the noise has been gone. Same problem in two 4 series coupes that I owned previously that were resolved by lubricating the seals - can't BMW address this recurring problem moving forward?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 12:29 AM   #12
nikhilp91
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 520d

Got my car second hand in Oct 2020. I've noticed the same issue with the sunroof. I took it in today and the service advisor said rattles are only covered under the 2 year warranty (which would have ended in 2019). Rattles aren't covered under motorplan so they wont fix it.
Seriously cheesed now
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #13
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilp91 View Post
Got my car second hand in Oct 2020. I've noticed the same issue with the sunroof. I took it in today and the service advisor said rattles are only covered under the 2 year warranty (which would have ended in 2019). Rattles aren't covered under motorplan so they wont fix it.
Seriously cheesed now
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilp91 View Post
Seriously cheesed now
Lunricate the seals
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:42 PM   #14
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

So I had this issue and I took it in, the dealer cleaned the seals and lubricated them and the noise disappeared. It came back a couple months later. Had a bottle of gummi pfledge I had picked up in anticipation of keeping all my car rubber pliable, used it on the seals and the noise is gone.

Just cleaning the seals I could feel how hard they were. After the pfledge went on they immediately became soft and pliable. I thought people were over exaggerating how this stuff works on rubber, but they were not. Not at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:58 AM   #15
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

I have the exact same problem, I see BMW sells this :

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...-2-157-321-BOE

Will this work on lubricating the sunroof ?
Appreciate 0