BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Adaptive Suspension, is it worth it?

07-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #45
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Now that would be useful, but I normally start with position 2 and go into the closest in heavy or stop and go traffic.
Well then, you can code it to that setting.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #46
jmhildreth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xdrive

In both the BimmerPost and BimmerFest forums there seems to be confusion about whether route guidance must be activated for the Adaptive Mode to feed road data to the Adaptive M Suspension. I note from above that bpbaud asked a Genius about this.

For my 550i I requested clarification through email with the BMW Genius regarding the issue of whether active guidance was necessary for navigation data to be used when using adaptive driving mode. Their first and repeated answer was yes it was necessary (same as bpbaud) even after I had pointed out to them in my emails that the Technical Manual for the G30, Displays and Controls page 25 referenced the the Technical Manual for the G12 and that G12 manual says in the section Displays and Controls on page 99:

"G12 Chassis and Suspension
6. Driving Stability Control
If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control unit processes the navigation data to [sic]
analyzes the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.
Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible. If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic change over to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this."

Note the last sentence in the paragraph above. When I pointed out to the Genius that their answer was contrary to the Technical Manual I got this response. "While we are able to assist with features and technology within BMW vehicles, we rely on our authorized BMW service technicians to provide technical support. I suggest speaking to a BMW center directly regarding your technical manual concerns."

I'm not sure whether they are implying the manual is wrong or that they don't know what is right. What they did not explicitly say is that the G30 is different from the G12 in this respect. So maybe the jury is still out on this question. I may try the dealer next but I found the Genius I have previously talked to on delivery of my car to be a disappointment and I'm not confident anyone there would know the real answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #47
jmhildreth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xdrive

Further to my message above I have also discovered in the G12 Manual in section 9.6.1 Driving Experience Switch on page 59 it says, "With the navigation system, the mode makes use of the available map data and optimizes "ADAPTIVE" mode by predictive functions such as early reaction to bends, junctions and road type."

So this says it reads map data and not necessarily with guidance active.

Also see the attachment of a screen shot of a BMW video on Adaptive Mode. The navigation system is shown and it is not in guidance mode.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmhildreth; 02-21-2021 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      02-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #48
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I posted on this comparison about a year ago. I have two 2020 530e. One loaded with EDC and one stripper with no options. I started with the EDC one with Pirelli RFT. On my first drive with EDC "on", I said "wow, Pirelli has really fixed the stiff response of the 18" RFT's". Shortly after, I bought the stripper, also with 18" Pirelli RFT's and my reaction was "same lousy ride on the RFT's". So, the EDC made a huge difference and it was definitely an apples to apples comparison in real time back to back. Next, I fitted a set of 18" Continental non-RFT's to the stripper. Conclusion: better than with the RFT's, but not as good as the one with EDC and RFT's. My opinion: I'll never buy another car without EDC.
Appreciate 0