BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Adaptive Suspension, is it worth it?

12-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
bctz123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30

G30 Adaptive Suspension, is it worth it?

Hello,

I am "creating" my new G30 540i, and I was wondering if this option is something that is worth the money.

It's called Adaptive Suspension (not Adaptive Drive, that is another thing) and it costs 789 euros extra.

From what I've read online and talked with the dealership, the car normally comes with the M suspension, but I've changed it to the comfort one, because I'll be driving the car mostly in the city 70% of the time, and this option allows you the possibility to change the suspension from comfort to sport.

It this worth 789 euros?

Waiting for your sincere opinion, and if you have it, what does it do?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 02:57 AM   #2
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bctz123 View Post
Hello,

I am "creating" my new G30 540i, and I was wondering if this option is something that is worth the money.

It's called Adaptive Suspension (not Adaptive Drive, that is another thing) and it costs 789 euros extra.

From what I've read online and talked with the dealership, the car normally comes with the M suspension, but I've changed it to the comfort one, because I'll be driving the car mostly in the city 70% of the time, and this option allows you the possibility to change the suspension from comfort to sport.

It this worth 789 euros?

Waiting for your sincere opinion, and if you have it, what does it do?

Thank you!
I had Adaptive M Suspension on my F31 with 18" 400M. It was specced because of the car reviews. Whilst I had it, yeah it was nice.

When you click on Sports:
  • Steering and suspension went harder
  • Engine revved higher before changes etc

When you click on Comfort/ECOPRO, it basically did the opposite. But you can configure the chassis and drivetrain for individual settings which I didn't do.
I live in central London and roads are shitty, but sports mode is rarely engaged.

Anyway, when I brought the G31 (again the reviews tell you that adaptive dampers is a must), it was virtually impossible to find a demo, no joke I couldn't find one dealer in London. Anyway dealers told me come in a test drive a G3X on standard M Sport suspension. In a nutshell, I loved it. Even on 19" 664M, the ride is firm but not harsh, million miles better than my F31, which crashed and jittered around.

My advice, do test drive a car with standard M Sport suspension. If you like it, go with it and blow the cash elsewhere....ICON Lights
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      12-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #3
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport Touring

I agree with Kitster, I could not get a test Drive with the adaptive suspension option (even though every review I read said it was a must have).
I now have a M Sport 520d Touring, and the suspension is faultless. Streets ahead of the previous version.
As above, test drive it and see for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
I've got a 540 M Sport touring on order. Again, couldn't test adaptive, but more than happy with the test drive on 20", so the 19" were getting should be even better.

Found other ways to spend the money
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:01 AM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I'm one of the suckers who went with the EDC. I really wish that I didn't. Car is comfortable even in the sports setting, and I really can't feel the difference when I change to comfort. So it's something I could have certainly lived without. I live in Edinburgh where there are plenty of cobbled roads and potholes.

My recommendation would be to go with M sports suspension and not worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #6
bctz123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all for the responses. I’ve tested one without adaptive, just comfort mode, and the ride was very good, much better than my “old” audi a6 2016.

I will go for the m sport suspension then.

Thank you for all your feedback!

Last edited by bctz123; 12-13-2018 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

Essential if you have the 20" alloys - so glad I got both the MSport Plus Pack and EDC ... awesome look and great ride

Past: 2013 BMW 320D GT, Luxury Line, Metallic Silver Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Adaptive Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

It is not essential even if you 20'' wheels. Passive M Sport suspension is more than good enough
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
It is not essential even if you 20'' wheels. Passive M Sport suspension is more than good enough
Depends on the roads you drive. I tried a 530d M-sport (M-sport passive suspension and 20" wheels). Was good on decent roads, but deteriorated on the typical road surfaces I drive. Not something I'd live with day in day out, would have to look at adaptive to get a quality ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

I managed to drive a g30 with adaptive dampers. I was also a passenger in the same. Over about an hour I turned the switch on and off over all sorts of roads and could not tell the difference. On return to the showroom the salesman asked if I wanted it as an option as all reviewers said it was a must have. I said no and he completely agreed.
Appreciate 1
Warp Ten641.50
      12-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
I managed to drive a g30 with adaptive dampers. I was also a passenger in the same. Over about an hour I turned the switch on and off over all sorts of roads and could not tell the difference. On return to the showroom the salesman asked if I wanted it as an option as all reviewers said it was a must have. I said no and he completely agreed.
Strange you couldn't notice any difference. Adaptive is so different across the modes in my F11. Passengers notice it as well. My grandsons prefer Sport mode when in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

I have AD on my G30 and in any mode its like a magic carpet. Goes over speed bumps and the suspension does a brilliant job of absorbing them. Every passenger who has been in my car have all said one common word "smooth". It's a lot of money £3k, but I did spec pretty much everything on the car.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
There's no switch for Adaptive Drive. It's on by default. The button Adaptive is for driving experience control for adaptive mode (not the suspension). If anything car would have had EDC which just fluctuate between sports and comfort setting depending on the driving experience mode you select.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
There's no switch for Adaptive Drive. It's on by default. The button Adaptive is for driving experience control for adaptive mode (not the suspension). If anything car would have had EDC which just fluctuate between sports and comfort setting depending on the driving experience mode you select.
Adaptive drive is supposed to be more than a switch. However, if one has adaptive dampers, then one uses that feature whether or not the adaptive drive is depressed. But the spread of adaptive drive is greater if one uses the button:

http://www.bmw.com.kh/asia/en/insigh...adaptive_drive
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

My G30 came with 18'' wheels on non adaptive M Sport suspension . Short while later I changed them to 20'' with non run flat tyres. The 20'' non run flat tyres ride much better
      12-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #16
bctz123
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieUK View Post
I agree with Kitster, I could not get a test Drive with the adaptive suspension option (even though every review I read said it was a must have).
I now have a M Sport 520d Touring, and the suspension is faultless. Streets ahead of the previous version.
IS the M-Sport Suspension comfortable also in town? I plan to get the M-Sport one, but I am scared it will be to "bumpy" in town scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #17
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Adaptive drive is supposed to be more than a switch. However, if one has adaptive dampers, then one uses that feature whether or not the adaptive drive is depressed. But the spread of adaptive drive is greater if one uses the button:

http://www.bmw.com.kh/asia/en/insigh...adaptive_drive
Again, you have confused the two. That link refers to the adaptive drive which has nothing to do with the Adaptive button. As it explains adaptive drive is more than VDC (or EDC as they call in some markets).

If your car doesn't have the whole adaptive drive system, all it does is simply move between the two preset settings of comfort and sports.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bctz123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieUK View Post
IS the M-Sport Suspension comfortable also in town? I plan to get the M-Sport one, but I am scared it will be to "bumpy" in town scenarios.
I think comfort is highly subjective. Although a majority of people would likely say G30 M Sports suspension is adequate in city driving, it's worth test driving one to see if it meets your expectations.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Again, you have confused the two. That link refers to the adaptive drive which has nothing to do with the Adaptive button. As it explains adaptive drive is more than VDC (or EDC as they call in some markets).

If your car doesn't have the whole adaptive drive system, all it does is simply move between the two preset settings of comfort and sports.
I agree but if one has the button, one has the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

I agree but if one has the button, one has the system.
No, that's not the case. I have the button but I don't have Adaptive drive. As an example my car has EDC but it doesn't have dynamic drive. So it's not what is called Adaptive Drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
bpbaud
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

I asked BMWGenius to explain Adaptive Driving Mode [for 530i, not 540i] in more detail, including whether or not it switches between comfort and sport depending on the situation. Here's what they said.
The Adaptive Driving Mode is a unique driving mode, separate from COMFORT, ECO PRO, and SPORT. While driving in Adaptive Driving Mode, the vehicle does not switch to COMFORT or SPORT mode automatically. However, characters of COMFORT or SPORT will be implemented, depending on the situation.

The vehicle is considering many factor to determine the optimal drive feel. Along with acceleration, steering, and speed, the vehicle is also factoring in driving conditions, braking, cornering speed, input from the xDrive system and Navigation data.

When the Navigation system has an active guidance, the Navigation data is used to anticipate curves, crossroads and type of street or road that you are driving on. For example, it can select the optimum transmission gear in advance, potentially enhancing efficiency.
I responded with this:
One more question: Some have suggested that Adaptive Driving Mode learns how you drive over time and adjusts itself based on that history. Is that true? Or does it just adapt based on the current situation without regard to history?
Here is what they (a different person) said:
In Adaptive mode, the following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor) *If equipped
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data

"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style. This system will not use previous driving tendencies to change settings for the current trip.
Appreciate 2
ADS-UK498.50
bctz12322.50
      12-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I have M Adaptive Suspension as a standard item on my M550i. I can tell you that, while I can feel a difference when I activate Sport or Sport Plus mode, it is not as dramatic in the M550i as it was in my M4, which I previously owned. That being said, and despite the fact that I enjoy the smooth ride Comfort setting affords, any time I can stiffen the suspension on demand when I want to drive in a more spirited fashion on Texas Hill Country roads would be very welcome, and worth the expense, in my opinion. Unless you push the limits a little, you may never feel the difference. When you do, it will be worth it. The Adaptive Drive setting, however, is new to me. I will have to experiment with it to see if we are talking about the same thing happening by the car sensing what I want, or not.
Appreciate 1