BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Squeaks/Rattles/Creaks...ugh

06-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #23
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post
I have had my car for two years. Rattles only above 150kmh

I cannot figure out where it is coming from, somewhere behind or under the passenger seat or around rear seat

Other than this there is no rattle/squeak
It's likely the passenger seat belt metal piece against the door pillar. Just move the belt and see if the rattle continues.
      06-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #24
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post
I have had my car for two years. Rattles only above 150kmh

I cannot figure out where it is coming from, somewhere behind or under the passenger seat or around rear seat

Other than this there is no rattle/squeak
It's likely the passenger seat belt metal piece against the door pillar. Just move the belt and see if the rattle continues.
Thank you, that's what i hoped for when i first noticed the rattle.
But it still does rattle buckled up

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #25
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Zero rattles....until tomorrow (now that I've posted this)
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 05:19 AM   #26
KOSMAN
Rep
Drives: 2020 530d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Damn it sounds like the 5 series is a bag of bolts. My old 335i was very quiet with no rattles and my Toyota 4 Runner is super creak and squeak free after five years of driving it hard.

Should I rethink my planned M550i purchase in 2020 when the LCI hits.
Ive had my brand new LCI 530d xdrive for two months and i am freaking out over the annoying sounds i am hearing as the weeks go by.. get an Audi A6 Quattro instead
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:39 AM   #27
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOSMAN View Post
Ive had my brand new LCI 530d xdrive for two months and i am freaking out over the annoying sounds i am hearing as the weeks go by.. get an Audi A6 Quattro instead
Ive had 3 g30 BMW, other than the passenger seatbelt rattle on the pillar (simply move it to fix the noise) they have all been rattle free. Go for it with the A6, enjoy the double screens and software issues

Nice first post and welcome to the BMW based Bimmerpost forum
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #28
KOSMAN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Ive had 3 g30 BMW, other than the passenger seatbelt rattle on the pillar (simply move it to fix the noise) they have all been rattle free. Go for it with the A6, enjoy the double screens and software issues

Nice first post and welcome to the BMW based Bimmerpost forum
Sorry to disappoint but it’s the truth. Imagine how I feel. Drooling for months waiting to pick up my new driving machine and costing €85,000 and now instead of having a huge smile on my face every morning driving to work, I have to always have the radio on so the sound effects created by various pieces of plastic and who knows what else will be muted out. Again, sorry to disappoint but a car costing this much should not be having these issues, period. Very disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #29
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOSMAN View Post
Sorry to disappoint but it’s the truth. Imagine how I feel. Drooling for months waiting to pick up my new driving machine and costing €85,000 and now instead of having a huge smile on my face every morning driving to work, I have to always have the radio on so the sound effects created by various pieces of plastic and who knows what else will be muted out. Again, sorry to disappoint but a car costing this much should not be having these issues, period. Very disappointing.
take it you've had it back with the main dealer?
also how you finding the diesel engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #30
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Only issue I had was a knocking sound coming from the passenger side of the car. Searched all the door pockets etc. looking for anything making the noise. Took it to the dealer for an oil change, mentioned it to my service guy and he said it's probably the seatbelt banging against the pillar. It has to be turned just the right way for it not to happen. Yep, fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 06:19 AM   #31
KOSMAN
Rep

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
take it you've had it back with the main dealer?
also how you finding the diesel engine?
So after the holiday season etc, Yes, the 3 Month old car is at the dealer. Been there for a week and they will be holding on to it for another week. They mentioned various fixes such as door panels being stiffened up, dash removed and refitted, right rear window being replaced and have ordered new rear seat belts. I am starting to feel a bit worried about what they will be giving me back when they are done!

As far as the engine, its impressive to be honest. Sounds and feels very nice.

Last edited by KOSMAN; 01-27-2021 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #32
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I just noticed the drivers side door arm rest moves when I put my arm on it. Seems like its loose. Something to get them to look at. Perhaps its come loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #33
KOSMAN
Rep

Final update. Just picked up the car from the dealer. Rear belt changed, front passenger door refitted, rear window removed and reinstalled and new gas tank. Apparently there is a factory fault with the gas tank (diesel only) on the 530 and the internal bulb in the connection pipe made of plastic which regulates the flow between the two sides of the tank is the culprit!! New tank from Germany ordered and the same problem. Its an official "Parts" problem, has been filmed by the technicians at BMW and sent to Germany.
So, from no on counting the months to end the lease on this car asap...

Last edited by KOSMAN; 06-15-2021 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #34
KOSMAN
Rep

So happy birthday to my one year old g30, with rattles in the rear getting worse every month. So far no update from BMW service who said they would take the issue up with Germany
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #35
jago
7 time bmw owner
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335; '18 M550xi

i do get a creak turning up into driveways. glass closed. also the pass seat belt i keep buckled.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #36
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago View Post
i do get a creak turning up into driveways. glass closed. also the pass seat belt i keep buckled.
My F10 5 series I had from brand new to 137,000 miles over 5 years had zero creaks or rattles ever !

My new G30, drivers seat creaks, rear groans over bumps, passenger door rattles .. had it back a few times during my 3 year warranty.. dealership could never hear them .. most of them come from door seals, which means I’ve to use BMW silicone remover on my seals ever couple of months, only think that stops the door rattles, which drive me insane !
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #37
Trimark
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540d Xdrive (340hp LC

My previous G30 had no issues, but at my new LCI I had to have the front doors refitted as the doors where not closing properly, had to slam the doors hard to close and wind noise was disturbing. I brought back the car to dealer after 2 weeks upon delivery and they were shocked about the alignment of the front doors. The realignment solved the issue, but closing the doors is still not as soft as at the pre-LCI G30 and the cabin is not as quiet.

Besides a realignment, you can also replace the rubber sealing around the doors (on the cabin), it is a cheap fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 08:09 PM   #38
jago
7 time bmw owner
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335; '18 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2400 View Post
My F10 5 series I had from brand new to 137,000 miles over 5 years had zero creaks or rattles ever !

My new G30, drivers seat creaks, rear groans over bumps, passenger door rattles .. had it back a few times during my 3 year warranty.. dealership could never hear them .. most of them come from door seals, which means I’ve to use BMW silicone remover on my seals ever couple of months, only think that stops the door rattles, which drive me insane !
ya 4 years with an F02 same thing, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:44 AM   #39
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
For whatever reason, out of all the cars I've had the past 7-8 years, 2 GS350 F-Sports and 1 Q50 Red Sport, I've never had a car that has not presented rattles from the interior, even though I've had friends that have had the same cars that seem bank vault quiet anytime I would ride in the car.

My 2019 M550i was definitely quiet for the first few thousand miles, but the squeaks/rattles/creaks are starting to make way into the interior, and I feel it's getting worst every time I drive it.

I'll admit I am only basing this off road imperfections, such as nasty bumps, and shifts in the concrete, etc, but still I expected the car to be quieter.

Here are the trouble spots.

1) Front passenger door rattle from the arm rest - this is solved by opening door again and slamming it hard. (this is the biggest issue)
2) somewhere in the rear passenger door
3) Occasionally get something from the rear driver side passenger as well.
4) front dash by the a-pillar
5) somewhere from under the front passenger seat. This one was actually there almost immediately after I got the car. It's a very faint tick sound.

What's also annoying is the creaks/pops from when the car is parked under the sun while at work - I can be at a stoplight not moving and I just get random popping and creaking noises from the dash. (I believe this may be a common issue as there is that "POPPING" thread that has a lot of replies).

I don't really think this is something the dealer can fix, because it's not coming from an exact area - all they will do is open the door panel, put it back which i'm sure will present more issues. With music on it's not as noticeable..

End rant - I'm sure 99% of you guys here have a "bank vault/whisper quiet" G30 5-series..
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
For whatever reason, out of all the cars I've had the past 7-8 years, 2 GS350 F-Sports and 1 Q50 Red Sport, I've never had a car that has not presented rattles from the interior, even though I've had friends that have had the same cars that seem bank vault quiet anytime I would ride in the car.

My 2019 M550i was definitely quiet for the first few thousand miles, but the squeaks/rattles/creaks are starting to make way into the interior, and I feel it's getting worst every time I drive it.

I'll admit I am only basing this off road imperfections, such as nasty bumps, and shifts in the concrete, etc, but still I expected the car to be quieter.

Here are the trouble spots.

1) Front passenger door rattle from the arm rest - this is solved by opening door again and slamming it hard. (this is the biggest issue)
2) somewhere in the rear passenger door
3) Occasionally get something from the rear driver side passenger as well.
4) front dash by the a-pillar
5) somewhere from under the front passenger seat. This one was actually there almost immediately after I got the car. It's a very faint tick sound.

What's also annoying is the creaks/pops from when the car is parked under the sun while at work - I can be at a stoplight not moving and I just get random popping and creaking noises from the dash. (I believe this may be a common issue as there is that "POPPING" thread that has a lot of replies).

I don't really think this is something the dealer can fix, because it's not coming from an exact area - all they will do is open the door panel, put it back which i'm sure will present more issues. With music on it's not as noticeable..

End rant - I'm sure 99% of you guys here have a "bank vault/whisper quiet" G30 5-series..
My car creaks when sunroof visor is open. My 7 year old even noticed it. Fix, i never open the visor. Rear rattles also and passanger front rattle is seatbelt hitting.

I wonder if all these rattles are result of all the aluminum they use in this car.
I had the exact same issue and was able to fix it by cleaning the sunroof rubber seals and applying Dupont Rubber Saver.
Attached Images

2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 0