BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions No more engine start/stop disable for 2021, WTF!

02-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #23
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

This doesn't have anything to do with the OPs comment but since others have speculated on how to disable it, here is my situation:

I purchased a CPO 2017 540i from a BMW dealer (not a CPO transfer). Every time I start the car, it starts up in comfort and the auto start/stop is disabled automatically. I don't have to push the button to disable it or go into sport or anything.

Seemed odd to me, since my 2013 335i Xdrive was the opposite - I started the car and had to immediately push the button to disable the auto start/stop.

Just thought I would throw that out there. There is definitely a way to do it without going to sport - obviously no experience with the newer stuff.

Last edited by aerof16; 02-11-2021 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #24
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

The prior owner probably had the car coded.

Models that have mild hybrids were introduced as 2021. They do not have a physical button to press and deactivate auto start/stop.

I don't have one of those models unfortunately so I can't confirm it can be coded completely off. Yes, if you have the driving assistance option the car uses the forward sensor to know when the car ahead of you moves and fires up the engine. This happens in my 550.

I hate to say this, but I don't mind the engine turning off at lights... if I'm in stop/go traffic I just turn it off because it's annoying for the car to turn off 100 times in a trip. Otherwise it just stays on...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #25
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
The prior owner probably had the car coded.

Models that have mild hybrids were introduced as 2021. They do not have a physical button to press and deactivate auto start/stop.

I don't have one of those models unfortunately so I can't confirm it can be coded completely off. Yes, if you have the driving assistance option the car uses the forward sensor to know when the car ahead of you moves and fires up the engine. This happens in my 550.

I hate to say this, but I don't mind the engine turning off at lights... if I'm in stop/go traffic I just turn it off because it's annoying for the car to turn off 100 times in a trip. Otherwise it just stays on...
It's odd to me that the previous owner could have coded it, then traded it back in to the BMW dealer that they bought it from and had all the maintenance done at, and the dealer CPO'd the car without putting it back to factory spec.

Is it possible that the dealer did the coding? Guess I don't know much about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #26
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
It's odd to me that the previous owner could have coded it, then traded it back in to the BMW dealer that they bought it from and had all the maintenance done at, and the dealer CPO'd the car without putting it back to factory spec.

Is it possible that the dealer did the coding? Guess I don't know much about it.
I've never reset any of my prior vehicles to their "original" coding data. Unless the dealer had some reason to flash the vehicle to the latest data, it's very unlikely they would code to original.

They just sold you the car the same as they got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #27
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
I've never reset any of my prior vehicles to their "original" coding data. Unless the dealer had some reason to flash the vehicle to the latest data, it's very unlikely they would code to original.

They just sold you the car the same as they got it.
Yeah, I'm sure they did. It's just funny that they CPO'd a car that was other than factory spec, at least it sounds weird to me. For example, what if that was an option I liked and wasn't happy with the fact that it had been previously coded? Obviously not a big deal for them to go back and change it but it would be a hit to their reputation in my opinion - the fact that they missed something like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 03:44 AM   #28
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

In my experience the dealers will only look at the software (i.e. do an update) if there is a fault present with the car. They won't do a factory "reset" and will sell the car as is. the main reason being that most dealers I have used appear to have one of the earliest PC's known to man and (they claim) it takes many hours to update several modules. I had my old car in for a head unit swap and the dealer claimed that they had to update a number of modules so they left the car connected to the computer and updating overnight. They would then check in the morning if the programming worked and if not, they would do it again that night. Hence they had my car for a few days.

The dealer is interested in selling the used car as quickly as possible, so it is usually a quick in and out job
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #29
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

What Nadz said. Every time I've had to have my car's software updated they have to keep it overnight. No way are they doing that for each used car that comes in to get CPO'd.

The car has been coded. Nothing wrong with that, it's fine, be happy!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #30
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
This isn't an issue for me since I have my order for a M550i, but I can understand the frustration of not being able to disable a feature that was once available. It doesn't make sense why they would get rid of it. I understand that the new mild-hybrid makes it almost seamless, but the feature was implemented in the pre-facelift, so I do not know why they removed it for the facelift.
      02-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #31
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

All due to EU emissions tests. With the pre lci they would do two tests. One with ASS on and the other off. If u make it so you can't disable it they only do one test.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #32
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
With my 2012 F30 328i, I was able to get the ASS coded to retain the last setting by the dealer at no cost. My 2015 CPO F30 328i was already configured that way. My 2018 G30 M550i needed to be coded, and I used BimmerCode to do it myself. Not sure what newer cars allow you to do and it seems that BMW changes this stuff a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:54 AM   #33
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Posting to update accuracy of my previous post:

Turns out, my auto start/stop is set to the last left configuration. So, if I turn it off then every time I start my car up, it is off. If I turn it on, then every time I start my car up it is on.

Didn't realize this until I got my car back from the detailer and I started it up and the system was activated.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #34
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

ASS is much more annoying in BMW than in Mercedes. My friends new 2021 X5 shuts down when he approaches a stop, so the transition back to power is jerky. My wife's 2021 AMG GLE53 (a mild hybrid) doesn't shut down until after the car stops. Then the electric motor seems to assist the transition as the engine restarts (there doesn't seem to be a starter, per se) and it is seamless. It actually doesn't bother me at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #35
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadz View Post
All due to EU emissions tests. With the pre lci they would do two tests. One with ASS on and the other off. If u make it so you can't disable it they only do one test.
For some reason it is also in the United States.
      02-18-2021, 03:09 AM   #36
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
For some reason it is also in the United States.
You can thank your European friends for that gift! It is likely cheaper for BMW to apply the same standards across the range (taking into account the Euro spec / legislations) and that means people like you in the US have to suffer the sound restrictions (as an example) on exhaust systems due to EU legislation.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #37
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can thank your European friends for that gift! It is likely cheaper for BMW to apply the same standards across the range (taking into account the Euro spec / legislations) and that means people like you in the US have to suffer the sound restrictions (as an example) on exhaust systems due to EU legislation.
But that doesn't make much sense either, because the U.S. does not get the petrol particulate filter. Why could they not just keep the stop-start button, if they can change something else for the U.S.?????
      02-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #38
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

I suspect you will get the PPF at some point - the way the manufacturers are going it is all about cost (even more so with the economic hit they may face) so would make sense for them to rationalise.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #39
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

ASS on 2021 540 is much improved over the pre-LCI. I can still feel the car vibrate (not shake) launching from a stand still, so by no means it's imperceptible but its definitely not as intrusive as it was before. I do not intend to apply any workarounds to turn it off (sport individual or coding). I am fine with ASS ON. I was not fine with it on pre-LCI.

However, It appears as though, from a stand still, the car will kick off ICE first. I think it should be the other way around; from a stand still the car should first start rolling using mild hybrid system and then once the wheels are moving ICE should kick in. That's really the only use case when I can feel the car vibrate.

I am still trying to observe this behavior but so far it does look like BMW starts ICE first and that makes the car vibrate. In my opinion that's a bizarre implementation of mild hybrid tech or a missed opportunity to use mild hybrid tech in that particular use case (stand still).

Mild hybrid also takes over ICE when coasting then upon acceleration ICE kicks in. The wheels are already moving so there is absolutely no vibration felt or any possible vibration is "masked" as the car is already in motion therefore hitting some road imperfections. I know ICE kicked in cause RPMs go up.
      02-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #40
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just getting used to my 530d with MHT. I had a loaner recently and I'm sure the engine started (without touching anything) when the car in front moved. My MY21 doesn't seem to do this. Anyone whose car does auto start when cars in front move? I don't have the driver assistance pack.
I have a 2021 540xi with Driving Assistance Plus Package. The engine will start and my car will start moving if the car ahead of me moves.
      02-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #41
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
ASS on 2021 540 is much improved over the pre-LCI. I can still feel the car vibrate (not shake) launching from a stand still, so by no means it's imperceptible but its definitely not as intrusive as it was before. I do not intend to apply any workarounds to turn it off (sport individual or coding). I am fine with ASS ON. I was not fine with it on pre-LCI.

However, It appears as though, from a stand still, the car will kick off ICE first. I think it should be the other way around; from a stand still the car should first start rolling using mild hybrid system and then once the wheels are moving ICE should kick in. That's really the only use case when I can feel the car vibrate.

I am still trying to observe this behavior but so far it does look like BMW starts ICE first and that makes the car vibrate. In my opinion that's a bizarre implementation of mild hybrid tech or a missed opportunity to use mild hybrid tech in that particular use case (stand still).

Mild hybrid also takes over ICE when coasting then upon acceleration ICE kicks in. The wheels are already moving so there is absolutely no vibration felt or any possible vibration is "masked" as the car is already in motion therefore hitting some road imperfections. I know ICE kicked in cause RPMs go up.
Sounds like it works similar to the 530e which is good. Except the ICE kicking in too early part.

Is it due to acceleration? Where it will by on the small EV for a second or two if not given excessive throttle and then it kicks over if it gets what it considers excessive throttle?

As that's what I love about the 530e when it comes to ASS. If I'm on ICE due to a flat HV battery it will get going on EV and when I'm already moving it will kick up the ICE and the transition is very smooth as a result. A shame if they didn't do that here to make it almost imperceptible that you're dealing with ASS. Would agree it is a massive missed opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #42
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just getting used to my 530d with MHT. I had a loaner recently and I'm sure the engine started (without touching anything) when the car in front moved. My MY21 doesn't seem to do this. Anyone whose car does auto start when cars in front move? I don't have the driver assistance pack.
I have a 2021 540xi with Driving Assistance Plus Package. The engine will start and my car will start moving if the car ahead of me moves.
I don't have driving assist so mine does not do that. I did have a loaner that didn't have driving assist but I swear the engine started when cars in front moved
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #43
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Sounds like it works similar to the 530e which is good. Except the ICE kicking in too early part.

Is it due to acceleration? Where it will by on the small EV for a second or two if not given excessive throttle and then it kicks over if it gets what it considers excessive throttle?

As that's what I love about the 530e when it comes to ASS. If I'm on ICE due to a flat HV battery it will get going on EV and when I'm already moving it will kick up the ICE and the transition is very smooth as a result. A shame if they didn't do that here to make it almost imperceptible that you're dealing with ASS. Would agree it is a massive missed opportunity.
In the case of "coasting", think foot not pressing gas pedal at all and gentle braking to slow down to a stop, car will switch to mild hybrid. The moment I chose to tap the gas pedal, ICE kicks in instantaneously (this is super smooth, no vibrations felt). Acceleration doesn't have to be excessive, any tap on the gas pedal will engage ICE. This would be a typical scenario when approaching a red light that changes to green by time you get there, so no full stop at all.

When a car is cruising, constant speed, no acceleration (basically cruise control) it may also switch to mild hybrid. It will stay in the mild hybrid mode for a while, it wont be just a second or two. However, the moment I tap gas pedal, or if the car is self driving and needs to slow down then speed up (due to traffic conditions), ICE will kick in right away. No excessive acceleration either, just normal, gradual acceleration. Transition here is also smooth, no vibration.

Again, the only time I feel what I keep calling "vibration" is when a car starts from a stand still. Unfortunately, that start is done via ICE. The actual engine, in the engine bay will naturally vibrate upon start, and that in turn propagates and is felt inside the cabin. Its basically like staring your car in the morning minus the cold start effect. Blows my mind why BMW doesn't start via mild hybrid first, as this would be the most obvious case to implement that tech in and the biggest user\driver experience gain.

I am sure there are other use cases which I haven't yet experienced or took notice of.

Last edited by COBodom; 02-19-2021 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #44
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
In the case of "coasting", think foot not pressing gas pedal at all and gentle braking to slow down to a stop, car will switch to mild hybrid. The moment I chose to tap the gas pedal, ICE kicks in instantaneously (this is super smooth, no vibrations felt). Acceleration doesn't have to be excessive, any tap on the gas pedal will engage ICE. This would be a typical scenario when approaching a red light that changes to green by time you get there, so no full stop at all.

When a car is cruising, constant speed, no acceleration (basically cruise control) it may also switch to mild hybrid. It will stay in the mild hybrid mode for a while, it wont be just a second or two. However, the moment I tap gas pedal, or if the car is self driving and needs to slow down then speed up (due to traffic conditions), ICE will kick in right away. No excessive acceleration either, just normal, gradual acceleration. Transition here is also smooth, no vibration.

Again, the only time I feel what I keep calling "vibration" is when a car starts from a stand still. Unfortunately, that start is done via ICE. The actual engine, in the engine bay will naturally vibrate upon start, and that in turn propagates and is felt inside the cabin. Its basically like staring your car in the morning minus the cold start effect. Blows my mind why BMW doesn't start via mild hybrid first, as this would be the most obvious case to implement that tech in and the biggest user\driver experience gain.

I am sure there are other use cases which I haven't yet experienced or took notice of.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Appreciate 0