BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 530e body and engine movement

02-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Have had a few BMWs and never has so much body shake from revving at neutral. Been there since I purchase the car a few weeks ago. 2017 530e 35k miles.

Are the mounts very soft on the g30? Or do I have a problem.

Seller tells me it's the same on all his cars and he has felt this before but I haven't had a chance to visit to check due COVID.

Sitting in the car and revving the car shakes very noticeably right to left and with bonnet open engine is visibly moving a lot. Car has 35K miles on it and 6 month warranty.

On our diesel X1 no movement at all and can't remember noticing this on my 320d e92 either.

Only purchased car and have been feeling a small wobble/vibration when driving and accelerating or foot off accelerator and over uneven surfaces on a bend. Car feels unbalanced like weight is shifting.

Had brake discs and pads just changed to solve a different braking shake that is now sorted so not brake related

Also just had alloyed refurbed(no buckles) and balanced including BMW alignment all trying to fix this issue. BMW also inspected all of the suspension no problems noted. Didn't have them look at the mounts and only noticed the shaking when revving yesterday as the car always runs in electric mode when parked unless you force it into engine on.

Any ideas I thought engine or transmission mount worn but dealer tells me that is normal? Or something else. Anyone got a video of their engine movement when parked and revving on a 530e?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
You're asking for a video, but perhaps you can share a video of what you're experiencing?

I don't have any serious shaking in my 530e when the ICE engine is on. I don't put it in neutral except the few times I go through a car wash. I'm not accelerating at that point though.

I have had to engine kick on the one or two times I forgot to put the car in D and it kicks ICE on to let you know the car is on just not ready to go yet. No outlandish shaking in that scenario either.

It sounds like worn motor mounts, but share a video of what you're experiencing inside and outside the cabin and perhaps we can comment more accurately.
Appreciate 1
CnSky328.50
      02-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thank you logical.,, it's hard for me to video the shaking, I will try to do it tomorrow by placing a glass of water on the dash.

Issue is the car and camera move together when inside but it's a very noticeable shake and could explain my weird weight movement/shifting/shake feeling when driving sometimes and asking for power/coming off the power.

Also happens when cornering over rough road. Feels like the engine and transmission including the heavy electric motor is moving which throw off balance. Never felt this in my previous BMWs it's has me not trusting the car. Wife X1 engine and body doesn't budge when revving.

I will also video the engine movement by having the wife record while I rev the engine (other way around could be dangerous)

QUOTE=LogicalApex;27207695]You're asking for a video, but perhaps you can share a video of what you're experiencing?

I don't have any serious shaking in my 530e when the ICE engine is on. I don't put it in neutral except the few times I go through a car wash. I'm not accelerating at that point though.

I have had to engine kick on the one or two times I forgot to put the car in D and it kicks ICE on to let you know the car is on just not ready to go yet. No outlandish shaking in that scenario either.

It sounds like worn motor mounts, but share a video of what you're experiencing inside and outside the cabin and perhaps we can comment more accurately.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I had to take a short drive in my car after your post. I put the car in neutral and pressed the gas. It fired up the engine and did a really small shake. Same as turning on any gas car. Nothing serious at all and barely noticeable. It also didn’t shake while on. Was very smooth overall.

It was below freezing out so I didn’t look under the hood to see how it was.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thank you freezing here also so no chance to make a video but will get it done tomorrow hopefully.

Seems it may be normal for the body to shake a little from your other posts here but maybe I have a worse case of it as I can feel it when driving and seems to upset the car as engine kicks on or off.

QUOTE=LogicalApex;27208808]I had to take a short drive in my car after your post. I put the car in neutral and pressed the gas. It fired up the engine and did a really small shake. Same as turning on any gas car. Nothing serious at all and barely noticeable. It also didn't shake while on. Was very smooth overall.

It was below freezing out so I didn't look under the hood to see how it was.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Thank you freezing here also so no chance to make a video but will get it done tomorrow hopefully.

Seems it may be normal for the body to shake a little from your other posts here but maybe I have a worse case of it as I can feel it when driving and seems to upset the car as engine kicks on or off.

QUOTE=LogicalApex;27208808]I had to take a short drive in my car after your post. I put the car in neutral and pressed the gas. It fired up the engine and did a really small shake. Same as turning on any gas car. Nothing serious at all and barely noticeable. It also didn't shake while on. Was very smooth overall.

It was below freezing out so I didn't look under the hood to see how it was.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah some minor shake is normal. But it would be equal to if you had just turned a gas car on so very minor and not jarring. It is most noticeable at a dead stop and less noticeable when moving. If you're at highway speeds it can be imperceptible unless you're really hunting for it.

The fact you're saying its very violent and shaky seems extremely usual to me and I'd have BMW correct it if you're still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

It's not so much violent and shaky it's subtle when cornering or coming out of a roundabout the movement puts me off and car feels unstable even though it's prob not and it's not what I'm used to on any BMW but never had a PHEV before.

Also car has a random small rear end wobble now and again which may be the motor torque causing the whole engine and transmission to move slightly.

I could just be feeling everything due the larger alloys but it doesn't seem right to me.

Off to get a road force balance tomorrow to be 100% sure it's not wheel related but doubt it as everything has checked out to date and alloys are just refurbished.

Maybe it's a bad tyre but that wouldnt account for the random nature of the movements.

It was below freezing out so I didn't look under the hood to see how it was.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Yeah some minor shake is normal. But it would be equal to if you had just turned a gas car on so very minor and not jarring. It is most noticeable at a dead stop and less noticeable when moving. If you're at highway speeds it can be imperceptible unless you're really hunting for it.

The fact you're saying its very violent and shaky seems extremely usual to me and I'd have BMW correct it if you're still under warranty.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

To add my car moves a lot when revving in neutral.
It's unlike anything I have felt in a modern car unless we go back many years to huge engines with soft bushings v8 style.

It's like seeing a big block car revving at the lights and moving side to side that's what I'm experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
To add my car moves a lot when revving in neutral.
It's unlike anything I have felt in a modern car unless we go back many years to huge engines with soft bushings v8 style.

It's like seeing a big block car revving at the lights and moving side to side that's what I'm experiencing.
There are others on the forum that have a 530e such as SteveInArizona. I believe he has larger wheels than my base 18" wheels and he can chime in. But what you're experiencing does not sound in any way normal. I've owned my car for over a year and it feels just as smooth with the engine on as the 530i. There is no harsh shaking of any kind due to the PHEV nature of the car.

Additionally, the PHEV drive motor replaces the torque converter so shouldn't create any possibility for a shake contribution...

I have taken my car in excess of 100MPH and it is buttery smooth the whole time... Your car sounds like you'd be scared taking it at 65MPH due to uncontrollable shakes...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 07:33 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
There are others on the forum that have a 530e such as SteveInArizona. I believe he has larger wheels than my base 18" wheels and he can chime in. But what you're experiencing does not sound in any way normal. I've owned my car for over a year and it feels just as smooth with the engine on as the 530i. There is no harsh shaking of any kind due to the PHEV nature of the car.

Additionally, the PHEV drive motor replaces the torque converter so shouldn't create any possibility for a shake contribution...

I have taken my car in excess of 100MPH and it is buttery smooth the whole time... Your car sounds like you'd be scared taking it at 65MPH due to uncontrollable shakes...
Yes...my car behaves like Logical Apex's car. Often when the ICE comes on while driving I don't even notice and my car has also exceeded 100 mph on a steep hill and it felt like I was driving 60.

The OP car's behavior does seem abnormal.
Appreciate 2
CnSky328.50
      02-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #11
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Hi All,

I finally got some videos made and uploaded can you tell me what you think?

Clicking noise in the video is the throttle pedal not the engine or mounts.

Interior

Engine

Solved the random shimmying rear today with a proper alignment (BMW tried 3 days ago and didnt fix it but indy did a proper job).

All thats left is the engine shaking which gives a wobble when it kicks in during driving or when i ask for power/come off power on a bend etc, also this shaking when parked if revved.

Is this normal? my gut says no.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #12
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Quote:
Hi All,

Interior

Engine

Solved the random shimmying rear today with a proper alignment (BMW tried 3 days ago and didnt fix it but indy did a proper job).

All thats left is the engine shaking which gives a wobble when it kicks in during driving or when i ask for power/come off power on a bend etc, also this shaking when parked if revved.

After reading your post I went to my car (530e 2021) and revved it in neutral (actually in parking) and I could feel a considerable side shaking as you just filmed. More pronounced if you let revvs come down and then apply fast accelerator pulses in succession. TBH it shakes a lot more than all other car I had but I guess I never noticed it because while driving it is actually much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #13
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Interior

Engine

After reading your post I went to my car (530e 2021) and revved it in neutral (actually in parking) and I could feel a considerable side shaking as you just filmed. More pronounced if you let revvs come down and then apply fast accelerator pulses in succession. TBH it shakes a lot more than all other car I had but I guess I never noticed it because while driving it is actually much smoother.
Thanks LP01 this is what the dealer is telling me says it's soft to account for the stop start nature of the car.

Seems it on all the 530e vehicles on his lot so maybe it's just the way the car is designed.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Interior

Engine

The front mounts are vacuum controlled and I believe they get harder when driving.

As I'm having shake when driving maybe my vacuum system isn't working properly as seems my mounts are the same soft setting when driving as when in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #15
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Any chance anyone gets a small shake when the engine kicks in while driving especially around a left turning corner when the body is already leaning right?

I ask as I get a shake/wobble and I'm wondering if maybe my engine mount vacuum isn't working so the mounts are staying soft all the time and the wobble when driving is because of this.

More noticeable on left turns as the engine kicks right when it starts as noted when I checked in neutral and its the same direction as the existing lean when turning left.

It's has me not trusting the car as it upsets the geometry when cornering even at normal speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #16
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Any chance anyone gets a small shake when the engine kicks in while driving especially around a left turning corner when the body is already leaning right?

I ask as I get a shake/wobble and I'm wondering if maybe my engine mount vacuum isn't working so the mounts are staying soft all the time and the wobble when driving is because of this.

More noticeable on left turns as the engine kicks right when it starts as noted when I checked in neutral and its the same direction as the existing lean when turning left.

It's has me not trusting the car as it upsets the geometry when cornering even at normal speeds.
I don't get any shakes that upset the geometry of the vehicle. For me, if the engine starts while in motion it is almost imperceptible. I'd ask to try another car on their lot as Lp01 said he experienced something similar to you.

Also does it make a difference if the engine is cold or warm?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #17
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Doesn't matter if it's cold or warm the small wobble/ shake happens always taking a left turn and asking for power on exit. Must be the engine and transmission shaking when it starts.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #18
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't get any shakes that upset the geometry of the vehicle. For me, if the engine starts while in motion it is almost imperceptible. I'd ask to try another car on their lot as Lp01 said he experienced something similar to you.

Logical FYI it's the first warm day today in a long time and the shake is definitely less...any ideas considering that.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #19
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Logical FYI it's the first warm day today in a long time and the shake is definitely less...any ideas considering that.
To follow up on this and my quest to solve it.

I had the two Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 non RFT tyres installed today on the rear and waiting on front tyres next week.

The ride is massively improved no more crashy ride over smooth but uneven surfaces and way quieter...Those Bridgestone RE50s were junk.

Will be even better with the front ones done.

Now if I can figure out the slight wobble I feel sometimes when accelerating especially around corners and coming off acceleration I will be keeping the car.

It's minor but something is slightly off have rear stab arms and a Guibo to install next hopefully that sorts it once and for all.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #20
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had the two Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 non RFT tyres installed today on the rear and waiting on front tyres next week.

The ride is massively improved no more crashy ride over smooth but uneven surfaces and way quieter...Those Bridgestone RE50s were junk.

Now if I can figure out the slight wobble I feel sometimes when accelerating especially around corners and coming off acceleration I will be keeping the car.

It's minor but something is slightly off have rear stab arms and a Guibo to install next hopefully that sorts it once and for all.
Car has variable shocks and I could swear sometimes when parked I can feel the rear wobbling slightly when the engine is not running. Although it's so slight I could be dreaming this up and have not had anyone in the car with me when it happens to corroborate.

Anyone experience anything like that?

As though the variable shocks are adjusting constantly and happens only when the car is parked across an incline leaning right side lower.

Madness.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #21
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Car has variable shocks and I could swear sometimes when parked I can feel the rear wobbling slightly when the engine is not running. Although it's so slight I could be dreaming this up and have not had anyone in the car with me when it happens to corroborate.

Anyone experience anything like that?

As though the variable shocks are adjusting constantly and happens only when the car is parked across an incline leaning right side lower.

Madness.
So I have changed the tyres to non RFT and huge difference car drives smooth no crashing on uneven surfaces and wobbles. To date new brakes and discs, wheels refurbished and tyres changed.

Still have a shake/wobble when accelerating/taking foot off accelerator but can't ID where it's coming from (seems everywhere) and when I change from forward to reverse when parked there is a small shake/knock. (Strange considering doesn't matter if the car is in electric mode or with engine on when it happens makes no difference)

I'm thinking maybe CSB and or GUIBO. But car only had 50k km. have replacements on my desk just haven't got around to installing.

Anyone have any advice? Are Guibo failures normal this early? I'm thinking the 530e puts a lot of stress on it due regenerative braking.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #22
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

It's official the car wobbles at idle.(not talking about engine vibrations which is normal)

The car actually wobbles slightly side to side randomly when parked and the engine is running.

Checked two other BMWs and they don't do this.

Could explain my feelings of instability when driving as it's probably more exaggerated when moving.

Anyone have any idea why it's doing this?

Feels like the car has gone over a small bump when driving but parked and in idle.

Have variable dampers installed.

Feels like the entire engine and transmission is shaking right to left and this is the feeling I have had all along regards the shake and instability when driving.
Appreciate 0