BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Temporary front end paint protection (road trip)

02-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
Nate1616
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Temporary front end paint protection (road trip)

Should I use Blue 3m painters tape or track armour?

Has anyone used these methods? I'm driving through the desert and the paint on the m550 is super soft. I already have some rock chips from city and freeway driving.

I know people use these methods to track their cars without PPF so was wondering if anyone has experience and which they feel is better. The track armour looks good but I'm scared the adhesive will be very strong. Some reviews say it ruins the paint. Looking for your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Blue painters tape ! Or buy some ppf and do it yourself just for the trip or track day.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
Zereldo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1616 View Post
Should I use Blue 3m painters tape or track armour?

Has anyone used these methods? I'm driving through the desert and the paint on the m550 is super soft. I already have some rock chips from city and freeway driving.

I know people use these methods to track their cars without PPF so was wondering if anyone has experience and which they feel is better. The track armour looks good but I'm scared the adhesive will be very strong. Some reviews say it ruins the paint. Looking for your opinions.
No experience with track armour. If you're going to install PPF (like Xpel, which is what I have on mine) then getting it installed professionally may end up costing the same as it would given you were to purchase the film for a DIY job. For reference, the headlight xpel kit was about $120 CAD and I would have to install it myself. I had it professionally installed from a xpel dealer for $115. This may not hold true for all PPFs or if you're looking to get a pre-cut piece vs a roll.

Painters tape works very well. I covered the front of my car (bumper, part of the hood and fenders, and sideview mirror housing) in two layers of green painters tape (blue is prefer as it looks less awkward) when driving my car from Quebec to Toronto. No stonechips made it through the tape. The top layer took a good beating.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:02 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Trakktape and blue painters tape - works like a charm every time / every trip from PCD East to Michigan.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Trust me when I say it works well for Drexplode !!!! I was a witness to this application. One of many at the PCD east.
Appreciate 0