BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions DTRL failed for the 3rd time, has lead to my warranty being voided in my 2021 g30

12-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
Makeitstrain
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

DTRL failed for the 3rd time, has lead to my warranty being voided in my 2021 g30

The DTR (daytime running) function on the inner tail light on my 2021 g30 has stopped working for the 3rd time, but this time it’s both sides. I feel like bimmercode is responsible as I haven’t always made sure to have CarPlay shut off and so fourth. Are there any codes that would turn on or effect the DTR light function for the inner tail lights? The brake light works still just fine. I’m also asking because I took it to bmw for the 3rd time and because I’ve had a subwoofer installed with dynomat (which they said wouldn’t be an issue before installing it), they said it’s caused by an outside interference and voided my warranty! I was furious! I was asked to remove all the dynomat material and any aftermarket parts so I can bring it back in stock and then they will consider diagnosing the vehicle and if it’s nothing to do with the what was installed, they will ask to have mr warranty reinstated, but if it shows that what I’ve installed in the vechile is to blame, then they will charge me a diagnosic fee.

Because this issue was happening well before the subwoofer was ever installed. I’m going to fight this outcome but in case I’m SHIT out of luck, what options do I have through bimmercode? I’ve tried restoring back to my previously saved settings with no success. Not sure how I screwed it up or if I am even to blame. Please help!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Are you still within your warranty period? The dealership will not perform a software update without a compelling reason. You can always say you’re having Bluetooth connectivity problems and that some of the ConnectedDrive apps don’t always launch. Whenever they’ve done this in the past, I have had to redo almost all of the coding I did with BimmerCode. You might give that a shot.

For those of you with iDrive 6, the latest EVO update is “Y.” I just had mine done last week since I go out of warranty in 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #3
Makeitstrain
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Yes I’m still within my warranty period however they made sure to request that my warranty be voided because of “outside interference” which lead to my problem I’m experiencing, despite it existing before any modifications were done. It’s laziness on their part and im pissed
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitstrain View Post
Yes I’m still within my warranty period however they made sure to request that my warranty be voided because of “outside interference” which lead to my problem I’m experiencing, despite it existing before any modifications were done. It’s laziness on their part and im pissed
Go to a different dealership, complaining about another issue that will force them to do a software update…
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #5
spiderman1982
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550x Drive

I am sorry for your problem, but anytime you install aftermarket parts to your car, BMW can walk away from the warranty if they can suspect that the aftermarket parts caused a failure. I know of a case in which someone had their car tuned which increased the horsepower. The air conditioning compressor failed and BMW would not warranty it because of the horsepower increase.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman1982 View Post
I am sorry for your problem, but anytime you install aftermarket parts to your car, BMW can walk away from the warranty if they can suspect that the aftermarket parts caused a failure. I know of a case in which someone had their car tuned which increased the horsepower. The air conditioning compressor failed and BMW would not warranty it because of the horsepower increase.
Another reason to give sports tickets or concert tickets to your service advisor. Once that relationship has been established, they will go out of their way to help you with situations like this. That’s just been my experience and is why I always stick with the same service advisor.
Appreciate 1
Mandingo93510.50
      12-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
It is even more risky coding any MY2020+ car as the car now logs all such changes and sends that information to BMW.

General rule is to save the tweaking for the warranty running out if you can’t afford to lose it.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1641603
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
It is even more risky coding any MY2020+ car as the car now logs all such changes and sends that information to BMW.

General rule is to save the tweaking for the warranty running out if you can’t afford to lose it.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641603
Coding as we know it will probably be next to impossible from iDrive 8 and beyond because of certificate based authentication and code verification. Until someone cracks it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 03:52 PM   #9
tjohnson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Garage List
2024 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
They could fight this type of a claim. If you tune your car and the seatbelt buckle breaks under warranty, they have to cover it. There have been many court cases about this type of thing over the last 20 years. They have to be able to show the modification is what caused the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
They could fight this type of a claim. If you tune your car and the seatbelt buckle breaks under warranty, they have to cover it. There have been many court cases about this type of thing over the last 20 years. They have to be able to show the modification is what caused the problem.
Correct. They can't entirely void the warranty. Normally I would not think a subwoofer installation could impact on a warranty but your problem seems electrical. Did you tap into a power source? Did your installer make any other contacts with the electrical system?

Also, you say your installer told you it wouldn't interfere. So take it back to him.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitstrain View Post
Have you tried rebooting your I Drive ?
Hold the start/stop button for 30 seconds with car not running.
      01-04-2023, 02:36 AM   #12
Soad
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30540i F15 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [9.50]
Lemon law that shit
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 10:38 AM   #13
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act prevents the full warranty from being voided. The dealer has to prove that what you installed caused the failure. Now that doesn't mean they won't charge you for figuring that out!

I've brought up this warranty act to my dealership many years ago when they didn't want to warranty a mechanical issue due to an aftermarket screen. The SA backed off quickly.
Appreciate 1
admranger2999.50
      01-04-2023, 10:42 AM   #14
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act prevents the full warranty from being voided. The dealer has to prove that what you installed caused the failure. Now that doesn't mean they won't charge you for figuring that out!

I've brought up this warranty act to my dealership many years ago when they didn't want to warranty a mechanical issue due to an aftermarket screen. The SA backed off quickly.
Exactly.

Making people bad here, but this sounds like a tech that hates working on electric stuff so he's saying "Look! Aftermarket sub install! That's the issue." vs. trying to do real work and sleuth it out.

Now, if the subwoofer install is causing the problem, you should be ready to eat some costs. I'm struggling to find a common link between the lighting control module and a subwoofer, but all the CANBUS stuff is beyond my simple mind.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '21 X7 40i AW/Black, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0