BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New ´18 G31 540iXdrive M-Sport impressions

03-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
New ´18 G31 540iXdrive M-Sport impressions

Hi guys,

First of all, apologies for a long post!

Received my Med-blue G31 540iXdrive M-sport in February 2018, thought I'd share some impressions and also compare with both my other current BMWs (F80 M3 and ´00 E46 325i) and other BMW's I've driven recently.

First though, some pics of the stable:

Here's the M3 CP 2017:

and this old beauty still makes me smile:

And here are a couple of shots of the G31 (I'll add more in the coming days, including interior shots:

As you can see the G31 is Med-Blue, it has Mocha exclusive interior and is running winter setup w 18" Nokian Hakkapelitta 9 studded tires. Summer setup is 19" M664 with run-flat (for now) Michelin staggered tires.

Before we go on to the G31 I'd like to give a brief background on myself:
as you can see I've been driving BMWs the last 20 years. I consider myself slightly above average in driving skills, last two years I've been driving the Ring (partly w BMW, see shots below)

What is most important to me is not stats (i.e. 0-100 in 4.0 seconds or likewise) but car feel, control and feedback.

Here, I believe, BMW has taken a small, but noticeable step backwards.

Neither of my current BMWs display anywhere the level of feedback that my E46 is blessed with at normal driving conditions.

That last part is very important: what I've found, when tracking my M3 but also driving the G31 in slippery winter conditions is that there is feedback, it just "appears" on boundary conditions. While this is good (i.e. good to know that things are slippery and tires are loosing grip), I much prefer the livelier steering of old, hydraulic assisted BMWs..

Surprisingly enough, there turns out to be quite distinct feedback, both through the steering wheel and the seat in both the M3 CP but also the G31 once you start nearing (or going over) the limits. It's just that during summer conditions, the M3's limits are dangerously high for public roads

Now, before going into details of the G31 540ix BMW loaned me a couple of G31s 520d before and the new X3 3.0d for extensive amount of time (several months). So, some impressions of those:

G31 520d M-sport

Lovely car, ruined by the engine. Now, I certainly do not wish to offend anyone, the 2.0d diesel has gathered great reviews, but for me it was a big let down. Noisy, narrow power band and most importantly not nearly as frugal as expected. In fact, during my tenure with the 3.0d litre X3, with similar roads and conditions, the 3.0d delivered similar economy, if not lower!

I guess this is due to the G31 being a big and heavy car, but also I belive the new diesels are detuned somewhat due to the emissions scandal. But the counterpoint of the otherwise silent coupe of the G31 and the tractor-like chatter of the little diesel was highly jarring.

The car had Apple CarPlay, and despite the whole family being Apple-only, we turned it off at the end. The BMW navigation and HUD were much more tightly integrated and made more sense than Apple CarPlay.

X3 3.0d (new one).

Although I don't appreciate the SUV types, it was overall, a much nicer car. I believe this is mostly due to the larger engine. The 3.0d is a peach! Silky smooth, unstrained power delivery, rather cosy diesel tune, a wave of torque. So effortless in comparison!

Also, the car was surprisingly quiet and refined for a SUV - no overt leaning in corners and diving motions...

While the car was relatively perky it did not invite for any inspiring driving. You start pushing and pretty soon the nose starts pushing wide..

And now - onto my 540iXdrive!
I'll continue this in a second post

Last edited by Zap-xpilot; 10-01-2018 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: Updated photo locations
Appreciate 5
Wardy8258.50
SDRX204.00
Douggie142.00
P_A_C3.00
      03-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Great post...

lol, sorry but I had too
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #3
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Nice post, thanks for sharing your impressions
Happy Driving
      03-10-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Yes, so, back to the 540iXdrive

My considerations for choosing that particular model were:
  • The family needed a car for longer journeys, especially during winter (which, in Sweden, you could argue lasts 6 months)
  • I wanted a BMW with a straight six (after all, driving one for 18 years showed me the intrinsic beauty of that engine)
  • We knew it had to be gasoline as coming regulations would kill off Diesel in Sweden
  • We needed a wagon (for cycling, skiing, etc)
  • We needed a four wheel drive for winter conditions

So, after ticking off all the boxes there really was not much choice left

The car is almost fully specced (in Sweden they call the "Ultimate" package) with the exception of two items:
  • ///M coloured seat belts (I have that on the M3)
  • EDC and associated Adaptive Dampers. The car rides on the passive M-sport suspension.

That second part might be a bit controversial. My overriding impression of riding a press car, fully loaded with Adaptive drive was one of overriding comfort. It was much more of a 7-series drive than a 5 to me. I've found that previous 5s straddled the divide between the nimble and agile 3 and the large and luxurious 7 much more in the middle. The EDC and adaptive drive I felt pushed the car much more towards luxury.

Also, as many of you have already discovered, choosing EDC (or adaptive drive) in anything than the M550i raises the length of the springs by 10mm. While not much, I felt, for the first time in a BMW noticeable brake dive and acceleration lurch, which, frankly, after the E46 and the M3 made me a bit nauseous.
I also felt that putting the suspension in sport (every time, since for some reason it cannot remember the last setting) made the car unnecessarily stiff, typical where you are trying to compensate with dampers what you lack in springs.

So, after trying the passive M-sport suspension I felt it was the perfect compromise. The car was taught and responsive, the comfort was slightly less than w EDC, but still perfectly acceptable (and way better than the F10 w EDC) but most importantly lean and brake dive were mostly banished! The car rode like an M-sport equipped BMW again!

Here are some pics of the interior (again, apologies for my lack of photography skills)

If I had to sum the 540iX in one word it would be.... refinement I guess?

The car just wafts.. Almost a Rolls like feeling. It is crazy silent, even with studded tires. Wind noise is almost zilch in normal driving speeds. The engine just murmurs.
I covered 400km without getting out with zero fatigue on icy Swedish roads in -10°C. Amazing...

My list of best features on the car:
  • Remote heating via App - seriously, plain luxury! The ability to sprint to the car in the morning in -15 and sit in a warm and comfy vehicule is just miraculous!
  • Heated and ventilated seats! Again - related to the above, but such comfort. I've previously avoided leather and stuck to Alcantara and cloth to avoid that clammy feeling with leather, but this now is just stupendously good!
  • Adaptive LED lights - Silly good! They even make a U-formed tunnel to keep the car in front of you in the dark, while everything else is on high beam. Amazing visibility, they make the night almost day!
  • That Engine! - I haven't really pressed it, since the car has less than 2000km on the odometer and is in "running-in mode", but still - smooth, refined, turbine-like, no vibrations, just endless shove And oohh so silent. Almost to the point where I regret purchasing the MPPSK on it (it has not been delivered and mounted yet)
  • Night camera - has already saved us from rein-deer on the road and also does curiously good things with illuminating people walking on the road in the midst of darkness (i.e. 3pm in winter in Sweden)
  • Massaging seats - while the name is a misnomer - there are not anywhere near a shiatsu massage chair - they are really good to alleviate stiffness and boredom on long journeys

Other features/equipment I'm on the fence with are:
  • The Bowers & Wilkins sound system. It is good, better than the standard H&K system, but not by a mile. I am an audiophile, my home system costs much more than the entire car, so admittedly spoilt for choice, but still... I thought it would be better than it is. In hindsight, I would not have purchased it
  • The Electric Sunroof - sure, it makes the car airier, but one wonders about the weight and the cost... In all, nice, but not must have for me
  • The HUD - my wife swears by it, I am on the fence. I find that the time it takes to focus on it and back on the road detracts from the attention one should always pay on the road. All in all, would probably purchase again
  • Adaptive cruise control - work in progress.. Has potential in stop-and-go traffic, but again, has a mind of its own.. disengages in unpredictable ways
  • comfort entry - sure, nice, but seems to have security drawbacks. Would not purchase again
  • The rear privacy tinted glass screens.. I don't like them, makes the car look gangsta-wannabe.. Reduces visibility backwards

And in the next post I'll write about the things I don't like on the car.

Curious to hear from the community, is this post helpful to anyone?

Last edited by Zap-xpilot; 10-01-2018 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Updated photo locations
Appreciate 2
Carnook132.00
P_A_C3.00
      03-10-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Nice review . Yes this is very usefull for those here considering. 540 and interesting for those of us who already have one. I think the key to this car is speccing it the way YOU like , there is a reasonable amount of choice there to set it up to your liking.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Wardy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

I think that interior colour combo oozes class, looks somewhat Porsche like. Great review, looking forward to reading the next instalment
Appreciate 1
Carnook132.00
      03-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Nice review . Yes this is very usefull for those here considering. 540 and interesting for those of us who already have one. I think the key to this car is speccing it the way YOU like , there is a reasonable amount of choice there to set it up to your liking.
Thank you!
This nails the purpose of this review. There are so many options to choose from and some of them are actually slow burners, while others are shiny and impressive at first, but after a while you feel that they were not worth it (Apple CarPlay in my view).

I had the opportunity to buy a fully loaded car for a price-you-can't-refuse, so I am fine. Hopefully others, who have to choose can get some info out of it
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardy82 View Post
I think that interior colour combo oozes class, looks somewhat Porsche like. Great review, looking forward to reading the next instalment
Why thank you!

Colours are obviously a personal matter, but I could choose from the three exclusive leather upholsteries - one is black, one is ivory and the other one is the mocha (I believe that's how they spell it?) you see. Black was a bit... well, black and ivory for a family w small children who wear predominantly jeans was a problem not worth having so, yeah..

The wood trim is a bit different. Normally I shy away from wood (just 43yrs old, after all) but I felt that the rhomboid plastic was a bit uninspiring..
And all the other woods had gloss on it, this feels just natural.. I love sliding fingers on top of it and feeling the pores and fibres of the tree.
No idea what tree sort that is, though...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Nose/brake dive with "ADAPTIVE" lol, news to me and just got out of a M3 CP 2017, no such thing, it rides very flat even round some tight corners, my only gripe is "steering feel" other than that it's good, BUT I do have the M Performance kit fitted, so a bit more GO.
      03-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I also think your first comment about refinement is for me the first obvious impression you get when you drive the car. I realised this before I even got out of the dealers car park on my first test drive!
Some features you get a better impression after some months of ownership. On my car the features I'd drop if I had to order the car again tomorrow would be gesture control (never even used), dark rear glass, and display key.

The car is obviously doing well as I quoted in another thread that bmw car magazine stated that bmw expected the 540 to account for 5% of sales in the UK but has turned out that actually 15% of g30s here are 540s.

It is a great car and as you have eluded to the key with the car to getting what you want is to spec to your requirements.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Haha, yes, the display key! Still unused in its plastic pouch, zero plans on using it, even though I am a "techie"...
Gesture control, to me is one of those instantly impressive features that you don't use past the first month or so.
Today I use it mostly to skip to the next song, if the HUD hasn't loaded the Spotify menu yet..
Do you guys have that "issue" as well, if playing Spotify and not having it selected from the media menu (i.e. the playlist was selected on the phone prior to entering the car), the HUD scroller wheel does not work? Just says "Spotify loading" or similar, but never loads..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Things I do NOT like about the G31 540iXdrive

So, here we go on the not so nice things about our new car...
I reserve the right to amend this list as time goes on

So, drum roll....
  1. No hangers for small bags in the loading area as standard? BMW, what in the hell were you thinking? I had to order a "transport" package and all I got is one (1!) small hook on the left side! So if you go shopping and you buy two bags of groceries, by the time you get home everything is all over the place inside the cavernous boot! SHAME! Or, as an Idiot abroad would say: "SAD!!"
  2. Aerodynamics of the boot - the back door becomes extremely dirty after driving. There seems to be some sort of back draft created, wonder whether a diffusor will cure it? Will have to see how the diffusor on the MPPSK package changes things, but I have small hopes. Good thing the entire car is wrapped in Bodyfence..
  3. The BMW Connected App sucks! The supposed fuel summary of your last trip seems a standard value that does not change! You can get notifications if you've parked the car with a window down, but you cannot do anything about it. Seems BMW have much to do there. A colleague of mine has a Volvo and their app is miles ahead!
  4. The car is unable to remember your last driver setting (sport, comfort or Eco Pro). The same with the F80. Time for coding I guess.
  5. Touch screen for climate controls.. WHY?! An inelegant solution to a non-invented problem. Now, to switch off seat heating I have to look down each and every time below, while in my other cars I can feel the buttons and turn them on/off without taking my eyes off the road. I hate the lapses in UX thinking, it seems like touch screens are being mashed in just because you can (or should) without ever thinking whether it makes sense or not
  6. While starting up and in moderate (to sedate) driving, only the left exhaust is being used. So, on a brand new car now only my left exhaust is sooty.. I hope this changes once I get out of winter tires and am able to press the car a little and open the throttle, yet I find it irritating anyways in a supposedly performance oriented M-sport edition

There is one last gripe I have with the car, but that is more subjective I guess. In my other BMWs, there was this feeling that the car "shrinks" around you after driving off. I don't know how to explain it better, but it just feels that you become "inside" the car on the move. I get that in the E46, in the F80 (but, curiously, not in the F82, even though I am aware that they are largely the same car), but not yet in the G31. It always feels big and that you are driving a car, as opposed to the car becoming an extension of your senses.. I do hope that feeling recedes once the winter tires are off and the car becomes more distinct on the road, but yeah...
Appreciate 1
P_A_C3.00
      03-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Nose/brake dive with "ADAPTIVE" lol, news to me and just got out of a M3 CP 2017, no such thing, it rides very flat even round some tight corners
Hi there,

Does the car start in Adaptive mode? The cars I test did not, and in the standard start-up setting there was pronounced brake and nose dive/rise.
But perhaps they have changed that?

My (admittedly amateurish explanation) is that the longer travel springs in cars equipped with EDC/Adaptive (outside of the M550i) get compensated with more aggressive damper settings in sport and adaptive mode. While this negates somewhat of the dive/lift motions it also made the car ride harsher than necessary (and the passive M-sport). Also, you had to remember to press a button each time, since the car did not remember the last setting. That's certainly the first thing I'd like to code out..

Certainly a long distance apart from the M3CP ´17, of that at least I am sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Hi there,

Does the car start in Adaptive mode? The cars I test did not, and in the standard start-up setting there was pronounced brake and nose dive/rise.
But perhaps they have changed that?

My (admittedly amateurish explanation) is that the longer travel springs in cars equipped with EDC/Adaptive (outside of the M550i) get compensated with more aggressive damper settings in sport and adaptive mode. While this negates somewhat of the dive/lift motions it also made the car ride harsher than necessary (and the passive M-sport). Also, you had to remember to press a button each time, since the car did not remember the last setting. That's certainly the first thing I'd like to code out..

Certainly a long distance apart from the M3CP ´17, of that at least I am sure.
You are correct in the fact the car auto converts back to comfort mode (which I have never used) I had test drove the 540i with Adaptive before I ordered mine and even in comfort it showed no signs of dive braking, if it did I would not have bothered with buying one ~TBH.
Mine is super refined and flat, the steering in Sport mode is acceptable but no great shakes, I have set-up "Individual" in Sport and ECO-Pro to use Sport settings rather than Comfort, so I have a good feel for the car in general, yes it does "give the impression" of increased ride height compared to the M3 but it is not an M car so I can live with that, the performance even after 300 miles with this "M Performance kit" is very impressive and enhances the car a lot.
Time will tell how long I keep it but so far so good.
      03-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
No hangers for small bags in the loading area as standard? BMW, what in the hell were you thinking? I had to order a "transport" package and all I got is one (1!) small hook on the left side!
Does BMW Sweden offer you an online car configurator? In the UK, the 'extended luggage features' option includes your small hook, the metal rails for the lashing points, and two elastic straps on the recessed panels behind the rear wheels. What should the transport pack include?

Last edited by DavidI; 03-10-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

This bit seems to be common with just about every estate car i have owned over my lifetime. Probably the reason every estate comes with a rear wash wipe

2) Aerodynamics of the boot - the back door becomes extremely dirty after driving. There seems to be some sort of back draft created, wonder whether a diffusor will cure it? Will have to see how the diffusor on the MPPSK package changes things, but I have small hopes. Good thing the entire car is wrapped in Bodyfence
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidI View Post
Does BMW Sweden offer you an online car configurator? In the UK, the 'extended luggage features' option includes your small hook, the metal rails for the lashing points, and two elastic straps on the recessed panels behind the rear wheels. What should the transport pack include?

Hi DavidI

This is precisely the option pack I had to order!
But the picture on BMW's web site was just as large as the one you linked to and it wasn't immediately obvious that the car lacked small hook.

If you are like me, driving to and from work, 90% of the time the boot is empty - which means that if you purchase two bags of groceries you literally cannot place them in the boot - otherwise they end up strewn everywhere.

The X3, with the similar extended luggage pack had TWO small hooks!

Anyways, I think it is really stupid and stingy of BMW to not include a small hook or two in the standard equipment of the 5 Touring. I mean, that's part of why one buys a Touring!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

I think there are 4 points you can attach a net to. In the picture above you can just about make out two bits of plastic a few cm inside the metal rail closest to the seats. I believe these are semi-hidden metal loops and I think there must be the same close to the edge of the boot. I saw the top pieces of plastic the other day and wasn't sure what they were for, then reading the manual it suggested there were hooks hidden below them.

A net would keep your vegetables in place
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 04:39 AM   #19
Wardy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidI View Post

I overlooked this when ordering my G30, those hooks, anchor points, nets etc all came as standard on my black edition A6 so it didn’t even enter mybhead when speccing the BMW. Something I never had previously but will miss greatly when the Audi goes! It’s the little things!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
You are correct in the fact the car auto converts back to comfort mode (which I have never used) I had test drove the 540i with Adaptive before I ordered mine and even in comfort it showed no signs of dive braking, if it did I would not have bothered with buying one ~TBH.Mine is super refined and flat, the steering in Sport mode is acceptable but no great shakes, I have set-up "Individual" in Sport and ECO-Pro to use Sport settings rather than Comfort, so I have a good feel for the car in general, yes it does "give the impression" of increased ride height compared to the M3 but it is not an M car so I can live with that, the performance even after 300 miles with this "M Performance kit" is very impressive and enhances the car a lot.
Time will tell how long I keep it but so far so good.
That's what I'd expect, don't see how EDC/VDC is a real weakness for brake dive. Damping firms up as soon as you brake. Yes there is a small spring rate difference, to passive M-sport.

My F11 doesn't suffer a brake dive problem, I would hate that feeling, wouldn't expect the G30/31 to have an issue with brake dive.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That's what I'd expect, don't see how EDC/VDC is a real weakness for brake dive. Damping firms up as soon as you brake. Yes there is a small spring rate difference, to passive M-sport.

My F11 doesn't suffer a brake dive problem, I would hate that feeling, wouldn't expect the G30/31 to have an issue with brake dive.
The Brakes are really strong and progressive Pete, a nice surprise very strong and give confidence.
      03-12-2018, 04:35 AM   #22
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
One additional negative thing about the 540iXDrive (which bugged me no end until I found out how to solve it) is the operation of the 4-zone climate control.

In the previous loaners, 520d with just "normal" climate control, the operation of the fan was hushed and as soon as the car got to warm engine the sound of the climate control just vanished. It was working, it kept mist and fog away in Swedish winter and reached (and maintained asked temperature of 21°C inside the cabin), but it did so in a very refined way.

The fans in the 540 have been loud even though the car (and cabin) had reached operating temperatures. This has been bugging me to the point where I actually booked a service to have the AC checked.

I compared with my colleague's fully loaded 530iXdrive as well and his was hushed and refined. At that point I was sure I had a defective unit!

Turns out I had checked the "rear climate" checked "with default settings"!
That gave a temperature diff of 1°C between the front and back seats, and boy was the fan loud.

After turning off rear climate control altogether I had a silent car again. I presume that turning it on, without selecting "default settings" which default to 22°C and pressing the SYNC button should accomplish the same thing - an unobtrusive and silent climate control in the car.

Weird and somewhat unnecessarily complicated. Just for reference, other than temp adjustment (which is 21°C in front and default of 22°C in the back), the AC had auto pressed and the force of the fans was two steps from closed.
Appreciate 0