BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Looking to buy a 530e with high kilometer/mileage.

05-18-2024, 11:12 AM   #1
Lo410
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Looking to buy a 530e with high kilometer/mileage.

Hello people, I came here with a question,

I was looking to upgrade my current car to a bigger one with some more tech and I came across 2018 530e, the car has some nice options, an M pack, night vision, Harman Kardon, a heads-up display, 360 cameras, and Distronic plus.

The only downside of the car was that it had 210k km or in mileage 130k, the interior was just like a new one, with no scratches no deterioration no discoloring, and it looked and felt brand new, the previous owner used it in Germany on the highway most of the time and took really good care of it, the engine sounded normal everything just felt and looked like new, the car was exclusively serviced and BMW the whole time, I checked the car with BMW. They said the KM is real and it only had a minor accident with the front bumper replaced, also I can replace the whole battery under warranty if they find anything wrong with it.

I plan on having this car for around 3-5 years, I mostly drive in the city so I only do a maximum of 15k km per year around 9k miles.
Also, the dealership is providing me with a 1-year warranty on the gearbox and engine.

My question is, are there any people here who had or currently have a high mileage 530e? So I know what can I expect of it?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 09:39 PM   #2
G31NewBie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I am looking to buy a 2018/9 530e. Appreciate your comments on what to look out for, Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 05:46 AM   #3
NVRfollo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

My one fear would be the plug in hybrid battery after the one year extension they are giving you. It could be expensive to change if you have and issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 06:49 AM   #4
Neusser
Captain
Rep
Drives: G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo410 View Post

I was looking to upgrade my current car to a bigger one with some more tech and I came across 2018 530e, the car has some nice options, an M pack, night vision, Harman Kardon, a heads-up display, 360 cameras, and Distronic plus.

The only downside of the car was that it had 210k km or in mileage 130k, the interior was just like a new one, with no scratches no deterioration no discoloring, and it looked and felt brand new, the previous owner used it in Germany on the highway most of the time and took really good care of it, the engine sounded normal everything just felt and looked like new, the car was exclusively serviced and BMW the whole time, I checked the car with BMW. They said the KM is real and it only had a minor accident with the front bumper replaced, also I can replace the whole battery under warranty if they find anything wrong with it.

I plan on having this car for around 3-5 years, I mostly drive in the city so I only do a maximum of 15k km per year around 9k miles.
Also, the dealership is providing me with a 1-year warranty on the gearbox and engine.

My question is, are there any people here who had or currently have a high mileage 530e? So I know what can I expect of it?
Just get a 540. Then you have no worries about battery/hybrid-related reliability, you have excellent performance and a proper BMW engine experience, and your mileage difference will amount about to about 1.5 liters per 100 km.

I would not touch a 530e given the long list of disadvantages, unless you are saving a lot on taxes/insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 10:26 AM   #5
LogicalApex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I can’t speak for Romania so you’ll need to do some research to see how things are there warranty wise. I mention that as my discussion point will be from my vantage point in the US.

The 503e is a better buy over the 530i depending on your usage case. It will be a more responsive vehicle. Have preconditioning. Better Auto Start Stop. You’ll lose out on fuel take capacity and some trunk space though if those are important to you.

You can use a new app from the people who make BimmerCode and BimmerLink called BimmerFlow to check the wear on the HV battery so you know what that looks like before buying. My HV battery is at 91% after 50K miles and 5 years.

In the US the 530e comes with a 15Y/150K mile warranty on its hybrid drivetrain which is pretty impressive. 10Y/100K miles on the HV battery.

Mine has been fantastic to date.

https://bimmerflow.app/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Just get a 540. Then you have no worries about battery/hybrid-related reliability, you have excellent performance and a proper BMW engine experience, and your mileage difference will amount about to about 1.5 liters per 100 km.

I would not touch a 530e given the long list of disadvantages, unless you are saving a lot on taxes/insurance.
What are these long list of disadvantages? There are some, for sure, but the list is very short.

1. Reduced trunk space.
2. Increased weight.
3. Reduced fuel tank capacity.

Since the 530e power train is a detuned and reinforced 530i power train it should end up more reliable than the 530i and end up the most reliable car in the G30 lineup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Gautam708.00
      06-14-2024, 04:40 PM   #6
Neusser
Captain
Rep
Drives: G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I can’t speak for Romania so you’ll need to do some research to see how things are there warranty wise. I mention that as my discussion point will be from my vantage point in the US.

The 503e is a better buy over the 530i depending on your usage case. It will be a more responsive vehicle. Have preconditioning. Better Auto Start Stop. You’ll lose out on fuel take capacity and some trunk space though if those are important to you.

You can use a new app from the people who make BimmerCode and BimmerLink called BimmerFlow to check the wear on the HV battery so you know what that looks like before buying. My HV battery is at 91% after 50K miles and 5 years.

In the US the 530e comes with a 15Y/150K mile warranty on its hybrid drivetrain which is pretty impressive. 10Y/100K miles on the HV battery.

Mine has been fantastic to date.

https://bimmerflow.app/

What are these long list of disadvantages? There are some, for sure, but the list is very short.

1. Reduced trunk space.
2. Increased weight.
3. Reduced fuel tank capacity.

Since the 530e power train is a detuned and reinforced 530i power train it should end up more reliable than the 530i and end up the most reliable car in the G30 lineup.
I covered several of them in the post you supposedly read before responding.

Reliability, performance, weight, etc. There is also the emotional aspect of a silky I6 with a decent redline and good power/tq. curve--with absolutely massive untapped reserves.

And ofc almost no worthwhile penalty in consumption when driven prudently.

The last thing I would want in a BMW is "E" anything. But we all buy our cars for different reasons.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 11:26 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
I covered several of them in the post you supposedly read before responding.

Reliability, performance, weight, etc. There is also the emotional aspect of a silky I6 with a decent redline and good power/tq. curve--with absolutely massive untapped reserves.

And ofc almost no worthwhile penalty in consumption when driven prudently.

The last thing I would want in a BMW is "E" anything. But we all buy our cars for different reasons.
Except I did respond to your reliability claim. The 530e is the only G30 with a 15Y/150K mile warranty on its power plant in the US…

Your musing on “power” are pointless as they aren’t related to anything other than your personal preference. One that’s a bit silly as you should be driving an M550i if you want power in the G30 or M5.

Also comical that you mention it as good on gas consumption if driven “prudently”.

My 530e is over 50mpg fuel economy in mixed mode driving while being sporty and responsive and I don’t have to drive “prudently”.
Appreciate 2
adhrp1599.50
      06-15-2024, 03:03 PM   #8
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo410 View Post

expect to have a gas car with useless heavy electric bits

https://fb.watch/sJH7RfrTH0/
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2024, 04:39 PM   #9
capese21
Private
Rep
Drives: 5 series Msport G30 530e

The HV battery doesn't overheat as its got an efficient cooling system linked into the HVAC. Maybe this guy only sees the ones that have other issues?

There are quite a few high mileage examples for sale here with in excess of 100k miles still going strong on the original battery with a decent electric range.

Seems a very reliable package usual B48 issues aside.

Read what he says and its clearly nonsense based on one or two isolated examples.
Appreciate 1