BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Manual Speed Limiter

10-10-2019, 01:54 AM   #1
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Manual Speed Limiter

Apologies if this is in wrong forum

I have a 530e on order so I am going through though the manual (Drivers Guide is excellent). Previously I have had 6 Mercedes and one of the things they have got right is the speed limiter - you just set it using a stalk - really useful in say an average speed check area.

Looking at the manual for a 530e there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to switch a speed limiter on or off or set a particular speed (in situations where the traffic sign assist has missed a speed limit like in roadworks). With Driving Assistance It looks like you have to go way into iDrive 7 menus and set the car to stay within speed limits but then have to go back in to turn it off. If that is the only way to set a limit on speed, can it be added to one of the favourite buttons ?

i took a look at at a 7 Series and that has a ‘limit’ button on the steering wheel and does exactly what I am used to - I can’t see why BMW have decided the G30 doesn’t need it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:12 AM   #2
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

My G30 has a speed limiter button on the steering wheel. Couldn't be simpler to use. It's the one below the left side thumbwheel/switch amd is labelled "LIM".
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 703
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  16.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Many thanks. The Drivers Guide has a different layout - with the instructions for the buttons on the left of the wheel on the top right of the instructions as attached - there is no Lim button - hopefully the manual is wrong for a September 19 build. Thanks again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

The limiter on the G30 is useless anyway. It constantly over speeds as it doesn't regulate speed once the car is coasting. It just dings an alarm at you constantly.

As you say, MB actually got the limiter function spot on. It applies braking just like cruise to make sure you don't exceed the limit. Why on earth they kept this one so old school stupid I'll never know.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
The limiter on the G30 is useless anyway. It constantly over speeds as it doesn't regulate speed once the car is coasting. It just dings an alarm at you constantly.

As you say, MB actually got the limiter function spot on. It applies braking just like cruise to make sure you don't exceed the limit. Why on earth they kept this one so old school stupid I'll never know.
IMHO MB and BMW have different philosophies. MB will more frequently intervene automatically for things like lane departure and speed, on the theory that the driver is passive. BMW will more frequently warn but not intervene on the theory the driver is active and actually driving and paying attention.
I have driven both brands extensively and prefer the BMW approach. YMMV.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
540iSUP703.00