BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Towing with a G30/G31

12-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
bennygsr
Rep
Drives: g31 530i

Towing with a G30/G31

I'm in Australia have Westphalia non-oem fitment towbar. It is apparently essentially the same towbar that is fitted when buying oem.

When towing this trailer which currently has a towball weight loaded of about 75kg, there is a feeling of the car feeling like it is fighting the trailer all the time.
As though two people are at either end of a taught rope and one person gently tugs at it the whole time.

Does anyway else have anything like this, or an explanation for why? Is there a setting I can activate or deactivate?
I feel like it's the stability control or adaptive suspension getting fooled by something but of course I don't know.

I tow a 6' x 4' cage trailer that probably gets to about 700kg (1300 pounds?)in weight when loaded.
The lights work well when connected to a the supplied westfalia connections.

The "trailer" mode in the head unit display won't work without OEM wiring however when manual gear shifting, the car won't allow a shift into 8th, so I understand the car identifies the trailer is attached.

I also towed this exact trailer packed very similarly with a 2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B wagon with Bilstein suspension which was quite firm and it never felt like this. It towed so much better.
Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #2
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

What is "trailermode" in the HUD?

The only OEM towbar is the electrical swiveling one
      12-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

I have the oem swivel one and when I use it a message comes up to say a different mode has been engaged

I'll see if I can get a photo
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
bennygsr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
What is "trailermode" in the HUD?

The only OEM towbar is the electrical swiveling one
This is what I meant by towbar mode. Please view from 2min 25.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #5
bennygsr
Rep

Update:
So, it turns out my car towing and the lurching happening with the trailer was likely just the towball being a touch smaller and the hitch being a bit loose. I was able to tighten the hitch up and it seems I could rectify the issue.
I also just searched trailer mode, i know what you mean with the automated swivel hitch. I assumed the video I linked is displaying the same thing, but I just realised it's only showing the trailer swinging around while attached in parking mode. I think mine can do the same!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 02:28 AM   #6
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennygsr View Post
This is what I meant by towbar mode. Please view from 2min 25.

Cheers, but the video doesn´t say anything about "towbar mode" in the HUD. It mentions the 360 degree camera view which my car doesn´t have.

It does have "towbar mode" and displays a message about that on the iDrive screen once something is connected to the hitch, but nothing in the HUD.
      01-08-2021, 01:25 AM   #7
5Pilot
Rep
Drives: BMW 530eX

There’s an old rule of thumb that says trailers need to be loaded with 10 to 15% of their weight on the tongue to ensure stability. I’ve never towed with my bimmer. But I’ve towed with other arrangements and found that rule to be true. And the more the merrier, so if you’re at about 10% and getting some swaying motion, increasing the tongue weight usually settles things down.
Appreciate 0