BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team Updates

12-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #45
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
One of the many anomalies that sponge bob can't seem to take in, copied from Ferrari to run in conjunction with hyper battery storage that no one else has,das which was allowed thanks to Todt,0.00 reaction to start lights?? come on! someone needs to rinse their top sponge big time or they're just retarded themselves.
OMG...
Oil consumption is limited and monitored...if any car exceeds the limit during qualifying or the race then it will be excluded.
The battery storage is regulated. If any car exceeds the limits during qualifying or the race then it will be excluded.
DAS was legal under the regulations in 2020 but the FIA decided to exclude it from 2021.
Any driver who achieves a 0.00 reaction time to a start will be deemed to have jumped the start will receive a penalty.
The regulations are the same for everyone.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand...maybe try pointing to the words with your finger and saying the words out loud to see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #46
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
F1 was never big in the Netherlands. Fav. sports are football and believe it or not speed skating.
I have visited F1 GPs all over the world and I was always impressed by the large number of British and German fans and their sheer knowledge of the sport. Dutch fans were largely absent.

But when Max won his first GP in Barcelona, obviously all iorange diots jumped on the bandwagon.

As I said before, I like Max and yes I'm Dutch but I certainly don't like the Orange army idiots. They should stick to their sorry ass local football club.
Yes Holland has had very good players,Cruyf,Persie,van Basten,Bergkamp,Riikaard to name a few! But hey nothing wrong with having an orange shirt AND they're much better behaved.
Appreciate 2
EdM53854.50
      12-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #47
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I agree. I just HATE when BS is touted as fact. I try to always back up my assertions with facts, quotes and sources. Unfortunately, there are those who use hyperbolic statements as their stock and trade.
Indeed.....the relentless imbecility of Mpowerbelgium and his echo repeating the same endless gibberish is a little pathetic.
But thats the nature of forums.

Myself I'd be a bit more cautious about labelling Todt and the FIA as corrupt.
The Forum Admins can get a bit twitchy about hosting libellous comments...especially as the FIA can get quite feisty about that sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #48
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
F1 was never big in the Netherlands. Fav. sports are football and believe it or not speed skating.
I have visited F1 GPs all over the world and I was always impressed by the large number of British and German fans and their sheer knowledge of the sport. Dutch fans were largely absent.

But when Max won his first GP in Barcelona, obviously all orange idiots jumped on the bandwagon.

As I said before, I like Max and yes I'm Dutch but I certainly don't like the Orange army idiots. They should stick to their sorry ass local football club.
In October I had a very nice long conversation at the company with the leader (KEES) of the Dutch Orange Legion .
"KEES" is a die-hard MAX-fan . He said : I'm worse !
Sadly as you know this season COVID was involved . This means a NO-GO !

As far as I know : KEES is "NOT" an idiot . He's our International ISO-editor and one of the smartest persons I ever met ..

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      12-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #49
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Or as we say over here..No smoke without fire
That must be # 47 ! Such a BS ... LMFAO

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      12-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #50
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
That must be # 47 ! Such a BS ... LMFAO
Gibberish 47 lol must be on the herbal tea.

Last edited by M5Rick; 12-21-2020 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #51
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
OMG...
Oil consumption is limited and monitored...if any car exceeds the limit during qualifying or the race then it will be excluded.
The battery storage is regulated. If any car exceeds the limits during qualifying or the race then it will be excluded.
DAS was legal under the regulations in 2020 but the FIA decided to exclude it from 2021.
Any driver who achieves a 0.00 reaction time to a start will be deemed to have jumped the start will receive a penalty.
The regulations are the same for everyone.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand...maybe try pointing to the words with your finger and saying the words out loud to see if that helps.
I'm not on any of you guys' teams, but remember Ferrari was getting away with running more fuel than allowed, i.e. The monitoring and regulating failed to stop them. So, I would have to call naivete on assuming those regs can't be beaten somehow by the extreme technological talent available.
MKSixer34171.50
      12-21-2020, 03:08 AM   #52
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I'm not on any of you guys' teams, but remember Ferrari was getting away with running more fuel than allowed, i.e. The monitoring and regulating failed to stop them. So, I would have to call naivete on assuming those regs can't be beaten somehow by the extreme technological talent available.
its a bit different than that.. first of all one is oil the other is fuel.. lets keep this aside.. cause 0.3L/100km is already too low to benefit from.. thats why we hear such things like thermal efficiency.. basically making an engine that squeeze more power.. its like 50% on Merc' F1 engine and on Project One its over 40%.. = more power without the need burning off oil..

fuel is limited up 110kg but during the race lift and coast gives quite nice fuel economy that teams can compensate even if there is no SC, VSC or rain.. and of course engine maps were allowed last year as well so it was even easier than now..

Ferrari tricked the monitoring part by lowering the "low peak" of fuel pump so they can increase high peak fuel flow (higher on straights for more power).. and in total it was still 100kg/h..

in 2019 Ferrari had a chance to manipulate that fuel pump that FIA monitors like this.. in 2020 FIA added another fuel pump monitor that monitors the flow.. so teams high pressure pump goes through that FFM and then it goes to engine eventually.. and that FFM uses uses encryption and anti-aliasing technology and at the same time it takes random sampling.. means from low peak or high peaks anytime.. that way average of the flow cant be tricked easily like it used to be..

moreover that part is wired independently and sends these codes to FIA's SDR in the car.. so teams cant see what and how many signals FIA FFM gathers.. literally makes teams blind in that part..

here is a simplified version of the system and how it looks now..

there is a chance of "more" on everything less or more.. but for tires for example.. if they werent monitored that well teams could go to that side as well.. but FIA keeps track of each tire..

so all in all.. that area is not very very limited.. teams go in different direction to find time.. and the smart one is increase thermal efficiency and its durability which Merc' did..
Attached Images

minn1913970.00
      12-21-2020, 03:13 AM   #53
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely...however teams are constantly monitoring [1] each others performance to see if any particular team is "gaming" the regulations to gain an advantage. So any particular wheezes generally don't stay quiet for long.

But yes, for the FIA its a constant battle updating the F1 technical regulations to best enforce the most equal playing field possible.

[1] Typically through after crash inspection, photography and high speed film of opponents cars but most effectively by poaching other teams key personnel.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      12-21-2020, 03:25 AM   #54
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
its a bit different than that.. first of all one is oil the other is fuel.. lets keep this aside.. cause 0.3L/100km is already too low to benefit from..
TBH I haven't really looked into the oil burning malarkey that much...but did the benefit of "oil burning" not come from the ability to add certain additives to the oil and then into the combustion cycle to boost the octane rating and thus power? (now banned I believe).
The FIA have lately been reducing the amount of "oil" that can be consumed during qualifying and the race year by year.
Plus I would suggest that its likely that Ferrari were not the only ones to benefit from this particular wheeze.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 07:16 AM   #55
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
TBH I haven't really looked into the oil burning malarkey that much...but did the benefit of "oil burning" not come from the ability to add certain additives to the oil and then into the combustion cycle to boost the octane rating and thus power? (now banned I believe).
The FIA have lately been reducing the amount of "oil" that can be consumed during qualifying and the race year by year.
Plus I would suggest that its likely that Ferrari were not the only ones to benefit from this particular wheeze.
yes but partially no as well cause with dry-sump oiling things are much controlled thus gaining power out of right amount of oil without additives, plain oil can increase performance as well cause you add additional chemicals to burn off into chamber and the same time for better cooling especially for cylinder walls.. i dont know the ratio probably it depends on each engine spec.. do it in a wrong way you ll end up higher rate of carbon deposit and increased heat and less power of course..

for additive part like in old times, yes probably they do it more cause they could add more additives especially in 1980's.. but with basically something like a rocket fuel.. cant remember its name it should be something tiolin, taulon or something i need to look cause im a designer not a engineer or something..
with those fuel on board burning oil limit was at least 15-20 times higher than now as well but when you add the fact that actually those fuel mixtures they used in 1980's all had some diesel in it as well you can guess how complicated the engineering part.. squeezing more than 1400hp out of 1.5L engine with almost 6 bar of pressure is ridiculous even now..

this burning off oil is especially useful for 2-stroke racing engines you can find in karting races even if most of them are 4-stroke now.. when i was younger (sadly) on 32hp super-light karts.. their fuel is highly mixed with oil and at least once in 2 laps during the race you need to lift and coast and block the intake with your hand while braking for a second at most to fill up the chamber with higher fuel and oil to cool the chamber and the engine of course.. and again causes a puff of white smoke..

this engine oil "thing" is much more complicated than it looks.. i had a small connection with Mobil 1 back in days and tech and chemicals they balance in fully synthetic oils were impressive.. so using these chemicals for gaining more performance is pretty easy if there wouldnt be any restrictions in F1..

Last edited by yco; 12-21-2020 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
minn1913970.00
      12-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #56
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

for additive part like in old times, yes probably they do it more cause they could add more additives especially in 1980's.. but with basically something like a rocket fuel.. cant remember its name it should be something tiolin, taulon or something i need to look cause im a designer not a engineer or something..
Yes they were using some pretty toxic chemicals to boost the octane back in the day...Toluene is the one you are thinking of.

On oil burning...I was reading that some teams had an auxiliary oil tank and valves in the inlet manifold to inject oil with octane bosting additives. These have since been banned.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
yco5722.50
minn1913970.00
      12-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #57
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Mate . It doesn't matter . What matters is : The FIA was aware of the Ferrari cheating Jet-Mode .
Later , the complaints of the other teams and drivers made it in the media .
It took 5 months ! Half the season !

It's a shame for motorsports , that the Ferrari drivers and team rankings remained while the FIA knew that Ferrari was cheating .
Ferrari had just to remove the Jet-Mode...That was the agreement !
Once the Jet-Mode was removed . The prancing horse ran in slow motion..

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      12-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #58
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Gibberish 47 lol must be the herbal tea.
BOOM !!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
M5Rick58879.50
      12-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #59
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
its a bit different than that.. first of all one is oil the other is fuel.. lets keep this aside.. cause 0.3L/100km is already too low to benefit from.. thats why we hear such things like thermal efficiency.. basically making an engine that squeeze more power.. its like 50% on Merc' F1 engine and on Project One its over 40%.. = more power without the need burning off oil..

fuel is limited up 110kg but during the race lift and coast gives quite nice fuel economy that teams can compensate even if there is no SC, VSC or rain.. and of course engine maps were allowed last year as well so it was even easier than now..

Ferrari tricked the monitoring part by lowering the "low peak" of fuel pump so they can increase high peak fuel flow (higher on straights for more power).. and in total it was still 100kg/h..

in 2019 Ferrari had a chance to manipulate that fuel pump that FIA monitors like this.. in 2020 FIA added another fuel pump monitor that monitors the flow.. so teams high pressure pump goes through that FFM and then it goes to engine eventually.. and that FFM uses uses encryption and anti-aliasing technology and at the same time it takes random sampling.. means from low peak or high peaks anytime.. that way average of the flow cant be tricked easily like it used to be..

moreover that part is wired independently and sends these codes to FIA's SDR in the car.. so teams cant see what and how many signals FIA FFM gathers.. literally makes teams blind in that part..

here is a simplified version of the system and how it looks now..

there is a chance of "more" on everything less or more.. but for tires for example.. if they werent monitored that well teams could go to that side as well.. but FIA keeps track of each tire..

so all in all.. that area is not very very limited.. teams go in different direction to find time.. and the smart one is increase thermal efficiency and its durability which Merc' did..
Yea I've read the articles online too, but thanks...
      12-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #60
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Mate . It doesn't matter . What matters is : The FIA was aware of the Ferrari cheating Jet-Mode .
Later , the complaints of the other teams and drivers made it in the media .
It took 5 months ! Half the season !

It's a shame for motorsports , that the Ferrari drivers and team rankings remained while the FIA knew that Ferrari was cheating .
Ferrari had just to remove the Jet-Mode...That was the agreement !
Once the Jet-Mode was removed . The prancing horse ran in slow motion..
Nicolas was a prime player that in that 5 months of rocket boost for lecrunch man.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #61
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Nicolas was a prime player that in that 5 months of rocket boost for lecrunch man.
Off-Topic :
Crazy COVID lockdown !
Food stores are overloaded with people to store food supply !
Most stores are sold out , stock is empty ...

Disaster !!!

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      12-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #62
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Off-Topic :
Crazy COVID lockdown !

Disaster !!!
I thought the vaccine was supposed to help the situation... so what is causing this?
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #63
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Off-Topic :
Crazy COVID lockdown !

Disaster !!!
In two words..''panic buying'' my friend.
In my area we have been brought up in one week from tier 2 to tier 4 which means just ONE visitor allowed for Christmas but plenty of foods in shops here with a 'traffic lights' system before entry to shop and a norm of around 3-4 minutes wait.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 05:09 AM   #64
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I thought the vaccine was supposed to help the situation... so what is causing this?
A New Covid mutation (N501Y) in the UK and is *70% more transmissible* (highly contagious) than existing strains !
=>https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ation-12161566
=> https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/20/h...n-variant.html

Vaccine ? Will take years before everyone is vaccinated .
What are the side effects after a few years ?
I don't believe in the vaccines...

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      12-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #65
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
In two words..''panic buying'' my friend.
In my area we have been brought up in one week from tier 2 to tier 4 which means just ONE visitor allowed for Christmas but plenty of foods in shops here with a 'traffic lights' system before entry to shop and a norm of around 3-4 minutes wait.
That's for sure my friend . The Dutch came over here in Belgium to buy food supply .
Crazy situations ...Cause is the new Covid mutation in the UK .First cases showed up also in Belgium !
See my post above ...Ain't no good !

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      12-22-2020, 05:24 AM   #66
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
That's for sure my friend . The Dutch came over here in Belgium to buy food supply .
Crazy situations ...Cause is the new Covid mutation in the UK .First cases showed up also in Belgium !
See my post above ...Ain't no good !
Yeah, if Bojo (our PM) put us from tier 2 to tier 4 in the space of just one week then you wonder WHO he gets his info from.
Appreciate 1