BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Japan car mods

01-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Japan car mods

I ordered some parts from a Japan distributor over 3+ months ago and paid $500 for FedEx/ UPS overnight air mail. today, they shipped via "Pilot" ground freight.
also 1 of the 4 parts is still on back order.

what would you guys do, what do you think is fair?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Tell them to refund the shipping? I'd cancel the rest of the order if you could get them from somewhere else
      01-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
Tell them to refund the shipping? I'd cancel the rest of the order if you could get them from somewhere else
it a $12k order and I can the last part somewhere else but it will look different from the other parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

It is hard to tell from your post what was ordered, expectations, and what they actually offered for shipping. If they are shipping freight, then I assume it is something heavy. Also — when something goes freight that usually means it has hit a weight limit to make it ineligible for a normal express shipping method. In general I don't think there is usually a next day or overnight option for freight deliveries for most shipping companies.

I don't know where you are located but I did a quick check. If something was 150kgs in a smallish box .. from Tokyo to a short distance Los Angeles would cost nearly $3000 to ship with a delivery of next Friday. There's possibly customs and other fees involved here too. Just to give an idea. I don't know what you ordered or what they set as expectations for shipping in that $500 .. but shipping isn't cheap... so it could be fair but I only know what you wrote above and have no clue.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
It is hard to tell from your post what was ordered, expectations, and what they actually offered for shipping. If they are shipping freight, then I assume it is something heavy. Also — when something goes freight that usually means it has hit a weight limit to make it ineligible for a normal express shipping method. In general I don't think there is usually a next day or overnight option for freight deliveries for most shipping companies.

I don't know where you are located but I did a quick check. If something was 150kgs in a smallish box .. from Tokyo to a short distance Los Angeles would cost nearly $3000 to ship with a delivery of next Friday. There's possibly customs and other fees involved here too. Just to give an idea. I don't know what you ordered or what they set as expectations for shipping in that $500 .. but shipping isn't cheap... so it could be fair but I only know what you wrote above and have no clue.
diffuser, spoiler, side skirts, splitter.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:

Oh my that does not sound heavy at all.. maybe it went freight because they stuck it in a huge box??
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:

Oh my that does not sound heavy at all.. maybe it went freight because they stuck it in a huge box??
Possible, not sure. I'll see in 5 days when the box arrives.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
they refunded $200.
Appreciate 0