BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Ceramic Controls?

01-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
Thornton Melon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i

Ceramic Controls?

I have Ceramic Controls on my 2018, and love em, but now you have to step up to Exec Pack for $900 over the Premium Pack to get it. I wish there was some other shit in the Exec Pack that I want or need but there isn't. Probably doesn't move the needle much on a lease but $900 seems high just for the controls. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Controls and the sun shades...

I am of the same opinion as you. Not really worth it for just those two things. The sun shades, if you add them by themselves are $575 so why not allow the ceramic to be sold separately too.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Thornton Melon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto540 View Post
Controls and the sun shades...

I am of the same opinion as you. Not really worth it for just those two things. The sun shades, if you add them by themselves are $575 so why not allow the ceramic to be sold separately too.
I actually think it's worth it for those 2 but I have no need for the sun shades. I don't have kids and I live in LA so it doesn't get crazy hot like Texas, Nevada, Florida, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #4
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

But remember... pre-LCI if you wanted Ceramic Controls (option 4U1) then it was a single $650 option. So paying $900 and getting some extra stuff is not the worst deal relative to past pricing.

I have ceramic controls and I love the look and smooth texture, but it was kinda cheeky of BMW to charge $650 for 4 black knobs. Must have been the highest profit margin line item of the build. Keep in mind that the ceramic controls show more finger oils and can get quite hot in direct sunlight. If I cared about the budget and had to reduce the cost of my build those controls would have been the first item slashed during any cost cutting.
      01-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #5
Thornton Melon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
But remember... pre-LCI if you wanted Ceramic Controls (option 4U1) then it was a single $650 option. So paying $900 and getting some extra stuff is not the worst deal relative to past pricing.

I have ceramic controls and I love the look and smooth texture, but it was kinda cheeky of BMW to charge $650 for 4 black knobs. Must have been the highest profit margin line item of the build. Keep in mind that the ceramic controls show more finger oils and can get quite hot in direct sunlight. If I cared about the budget and had to reduce the cost of my build those controls would have been the first item slashed during any cost cutting.
Yup, I remember going through my build in 2018 thinking $650 was ridiculous but rolled with it. However, now that it's $900 and I think I'm going to draw the line and stick with the Premium Package and standard controls.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

They get hot in the sun, they get ice cold when it's chilly, the oils do mark them up but boy they look good and feel great in the hand. Would've been nice to have ceramic window controls, radio buttons, steering wheel buttons, etc for the price though.
Appreciate 1