E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 335i Project

03-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Steve
Your car is coming along amazingly!!!
Really love what you've done and what you've got planned!
Defo do the msport bumper. Keep an eye out on ebay for one.

Im really looking forward to the interior trim. That colour sound very intriguing!!

Keep the updates coming!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #24
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Steve is that the Titan Shadow trim out of an m3?
Nop bog standard E92 brushed ally my fried and I hate it
Sorry I mean the new trim you have put in. The colour looks like Titan shadow. I've been looking at that myself you see
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #25
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Sorry I mean the new trim you have put in. The colour looks like Titan shadow. I've been looking at that myself you see
Ah no the door trims were my old Ali trims I prep'd them the body shop I use asked me what I wanted and instated that I didn't want piano black, nice though it is I wanted something different, subtle satin in look, can't for the life of me remember the exact colour only to say the lacquer is a satin finish that I asked to be hard wearing but when the entire trim sets in I think it'll look fab
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #26
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Steve

Im really looking forward to the interior trim. That colour sound very intriguing!!

Keep the updates coming!
The interior trims really sweet came out better than I'd envisaged to be honest once fitted I think I'm going to be fairly happy.

Just need to get that done, sort out I think an M Sport headlining sun visor setup and get on with the rest, then probably last of all if funds allow I can see a set of M3 seats, door cards which will look tidier than the Dakota trim I think
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #27
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

JB4, BMS DCI and Birds suspension are a must - will transform the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #28
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Quote:
Steve

Keep the updates coming!
The interior trims really sweet came out better than I'd envisaged to be honest once fitted I think I'm going to be fairly happy.

Just need to get that done, sort out I think an M Sport headlining sun visor setup and get on with the rest, then probably last of all if funds allow I can see a set of M3 seats, door cards which will look tidier than the Dakota trim I think
What colour m3 trim are u after Steve. I'll ask where i got mine from see if they have anymore
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #29
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What colour m3 trim are u after Steve. I'll ask where i got mine from see if they have anymore
I'd go for Black or Red to be honest Id die for Red but somehow suspect Black will be more user friendly. But the seats have to be heated.

Then of course here's the issue of getting rid of my old Sport seats
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #30
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Small but for me a nice update

Colour wise its an acquired taste granted but in the flesh dunarf look smart can't for the life of me remember what Grey it is but the killer is the satin lacquer which goes against the usual shiny piano black sort of finish but to me it's something different and different is good, I'll do the gearstick cover probably in the same cover and the flappy paddles won't be an Ali colour for too much longer but I'll do these in a different but subtle colour.

Rear LED's go on next... & Cyba Tips Dension unit

Then I'm left with a decision on wheels and the body. Well for now.

Rear M sport bumpers already painted with performance defuser so that's all done side skirts well I'll probably obtain a set of M3 style as they are clean and look if purchased from the right establishment factory due to how they'll fit look and dare I say to the touch feel.

Which leaves 2 areas where I'm in limbo.

1/ Wheels I thought ISP 10's from Ispiri would work but now having seen a pic or 2 elsewhere I'm struggling really struggling but welcome some help, my previous forey got me a smart set of Genuine BBS CH's superb wheel but perhaps this time something different, I actually like BBS LMR's but I'd have to go reps due to the costs but boy there's so much choice...

2/ Front bumper trying to look for a gen face lift E92 Sport bumper let alone a Sport bumper with PDC holes is like looking for a the answers to everyone's financial woes in a Conservative party manifesto (that's near as damn it non existent) which leave me looking at a the popular SE lip(though I have the overlap look as I stated elsewhere)or do I look at something else like an M3 rep or even a 1M type bumper(I actually don't want to spend £800 on a bumper if I can help it

3/ Rear spoiler I actually l;ike the high M3 style like Sam's got on his 335d

But those who've bought bumpers and side skirts are we looking at MStyle, SSDD or perhaps someone's got a gem of a place up their sleeve? Even looked at Project X & Prior Design stuff!

All very confusing to be honest but I don't want cheap and don't if ou follow me want to buy something that looks like Halfords have had a say oh no

Anyway onwards and upwards any thoughts on the body wheels greatly received.

Last edited by old grey steve; 03-29-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #31
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Good to see you the other day Steve. Car is looking good - nice subtle upgrades to the interior that do bring out its best!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #32
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
Good to see you the other day Steve. Car is looking good - nice subtle upgrades to the interior that do bring out its best!
and you you can see how busy we are and that say as calm but yep on the car front progression is slow sweet and under control....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #33
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Soothing that I wanted to do for some time forgive the crap pics but I wanted to go from this

to this

needs a wash but the tints make a big visual difference something that I noticed on my old E46 when it was done the trick is for me to do it but make it subtle.

The outer trims have been wrapped(for now) I'm going to see how this wears if it's not to my liking then they'll be painted but pleaded to say goodbye to the Ali look trim..

More to come
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Tints make a huge difference - looks great mate
      04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #35
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Wahay

everything is coming together nicely mate!!!

Its all about the details!

Have you made any headway in the carbon cleaning department
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #36
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Wahay

everything is coming together nicely mate!!!

Its all about the details!

Have you made any headway in the carbon cleaning department
We've been told that our two extraction pipes we've ordered them from BMW's and Mini's as Cooper S for instance suffer the same issues will be with us just after the Bank Holiday, which is not bad considering we ordered the machine in October last year received the actual unit as you'll see from our web photos in mid November and the pipes we needed tat actually weren't in the box as required(its sold as a kit purchased though the BMW network)when we reported the problem we were told BMW UK were on the case(obviously been away soaking the sun until the clocks have gone forward)we think part of the issue is that we are an Indy garage buying something from the BMW network but through BMW Germany who knows but we've been assured, with n apology that the stuff will be with us in the next 3 or so weeks. Thats all I can say at this stage I'm afraid Josh...

Trust me once we've got eh pipes mines in for the treatment

Anyway, re the tints yep works well will look better once cleaned the window trims have been wrapped I think personally the wrap over time may not last but I could be wrong the materials from the States and its not cheap(the guy who done my car is an American and has bought the business over from the States to he UK and still gets his gear from his US supplier so the quality's good) and I've been told its very hard wearing... we'll see on that if it wears well I'll eat my hat(though I'll have to buy one first) if it doesn't said trims will visit the paintshop

But things are moving along slowly but surely the LCI lights will go on soon, the Dension 500 will along with a speaker upgrade go in soon but I'm in no rush the rear bumpers bought paid for painted with the new performance BMW defuser again I'm in no rush nere either.

I've tried to buy a competition M3 rear spoiler from MStyle 2-3 week wait I'd like to get one a little quick so looking likewise M3 spec side skirts and I hit a brick wall here too with MStyle the front bumper search goes on (M Sport Pre LCI front with PDC holes) and the wheels I think I've narrowed it down but having trouble finding someone that selsl the wheels I'm after, but if I get them get them painted correctly they'll look the nuts

Onwards and upwards
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #37
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow! Really coming along nicely steve.

What percentage tints did you go for? I need to get mine done but not sure what to get in terms if legality etc
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #38
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Really coming along nicely steve.

What percentage tints did you go for? I need to get mine done but not sure what to get in terms if legality etc
Honestly gaza, I can't quite remember what I asked for though I've kept them lightish in respect to ensuring that the look isn't too 'Corsa gangsta init' sorry if you own a Corsa with tints there's a flow from front to back the fronts are very light the rears are of course darker. But I'll grit some decent photos which hopefully will highlight them better
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #39
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thought I'd answer gaza's question with some pictures of mine I quickly snapped before the rain set in

Ive gone fairly light at the front pics though show it to be a tad darker than it actually is especially side on however door opened have a look at the light filtering through

its not that dark but when photographed from different angles

you can clearly see the tints on the B pillar backwards is darker than the front window but not OTT.

Things are moving along really well the other thing the photo's seem to support is getting shot of the Ali window surrounds.

Next well the age old issue of me finding a M Sport front bumper(ideally with PDC's, then I'll be happy, I will be doing something slightly different to this something that I have done before with my old E46 330d but I'll leave it at that for now)

Rear bumper as I've said elsewhere is finished painted just waiting to go one basically. I need to locate some M3 side skirts and then the rear is getting some attention, the LCI lights will go on shortly, then spoiler time what to do, I fancy an Aero3 set up but may do something different with this in terms of how it looks.....

Wheels well I can picture something in my mind... thinking BBS LMR's sadly reps due to the fact that I don't want to sell my left kidney but do you think I can find a decent set let alone a set all that's around are LM's and they've been done to death.

Lights. well in time Josh will get mine for a decent mean looking makeover eh Josh

Interior wise ah well one thing I will address is the removal of the SE headlining and will replace with M Sport dark headlining. May also depending on how the big things on my list come along/cost lok at an M3 interior too but I'd rather address the hot items on my list first.

Audio wise Dension 500 will go in and will be coded at work, speaker amp wise I would like to do something but don't want to spend the earth but freely admit on this I'm out of my depth but I do admit I love music in the car.

Tailpipes well I got hold of those 4" Cyba's that may or may not make an appearance I may also look at changing the standard rear section of the system I want to keep the secondary CATS from the OEM system in place for dreaded MOT reasons.

Mechanical wise already attended to most of this 50/50 re a charge pipe less so re an intercooler but I won't rule these out, thing is I don't track the car or drive it 10 10th all the time but I won't rule it out its just not high on the agenda. Suspension wise however I will consider doing something here the Birds set up gets many a rave review so for me needs looking into. LSD from Quaife again gets rave reviews don't drive it flat out its in my mind but not high on the agends.

Apart from that I can't think of anything else... unless you can
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #40
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Sounds like you got your plans sorted!!! At the end of the day you are right about prioritising your mods otherwise 10k will suddenly disappear from your account haha

I will be coming up soon for my coolant and brake flush!!! You know where to find me too mate! When ever you are ready!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #41
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

lovely progress Steve...and thank for the pics! appreciated!!!

what about wheel? got any plans for changing them?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #42
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Aero lip plans ehhhhhhhhhhh, I wonder what this will be given your e46

Nice plans!!! Get those lights naooooooo!
      04-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #43
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Sounds like you got your plans sorted!!! At the end of the day you are right about prioritising your mods otherwise 10k will suddenly disappear from your account haha

I will be coming up soon for my coolant and brake flush!!! You know where to find me too mate! When ever you are ready!
No worries let me know what's good and we'll go from there, re the lights yep gonna have'em done 100% as they make such a statement, I'll have to LAN it I guess with having the car off the road for a few days which shouldn't be a major problem.

Quote:
lovely progress Steve...and thank for the pics! appreciated!!!

what about wheel? got any plans for changing them?
Wheel wise yep got plans, I think I like this look.

BBS LMR's they look when done right amazingly subtle yet very purposeful, only thing is I'm going to due to money look at a decent set of reps(never had reps before so a little wary) haven't ruled out other wheel designs but this style plus a little bit of individual splashes of paint on the wheels could really make them stand out.

Put it this way if I can after all my efforts visually get mine in this league

cos this visually is a master class in how it's done, then I'll be very happy.

Regarding the tints I'm really happy with the end result personally I'd of rather of had the rears slightly lighter but the effect front to back is about right the fronts are subtle enough to hardly notice they've been done, which I like TBH. But I hope the pics kinda help re the actual tint.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #44
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Aero lip plans ehhhhhhhhhhh, I wonder what this will be given your e46

Nice plans!!! Get those lights naooooooo!
Yep thinking along the lines I've visited previously which will mean some time will be required plus to do it I'll end up buying another boot lid so that I don't disable my car, the spoiler you've got Sam is kinda what I'm thinking of using as the basis for the rear but I won't rule out as I used previously on my old E46 a CSL type spoiler to graft onto the back of the boot lid so that everything 'near as damn it feels factory' as I want to have the look they retain the factory bootlid as I did previously but at this stage I'm unclear and if I'm honest I may wish to look more closely at my options to get it right.

But the Aero 3 spoiler suitably smoothed and subtlety painted kind of get the nod at the present time(I'd love if I could get one of these spoilers a non carbon effect one but haven't as yet seen one)
Appreciate 0